Airdrieonians vs Dunfermline

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Yeah, that ain’t happening. 

I must say, the optimism shown by the diddy teams in this league before a game against us is to be commended, before they inevitably get beat without putting up much of a fight. 

You've lost points in almost 40% of your league games this season... Falkirk-esque banter there.

Back in August, when we had the 1-1 draw, Dunfermline looked a level above the teams we'd faced up to that point. Having been deeply unimpressed by the sides we'd played up to that point, I thought they looked the team to beat, given we'd smashed falkirk, disposed of Peterhead and Alloa without fuss and played out the 1-1 draw at Palmerston on that ridiculously hot day before then (not to mention looked a lot better than Edinburgh in the league cup, despite the penalties defeat. How little I knew...)

We dropped off into a really sticky spell immediately after that draw at EEP (thanks Edinburgh you inexplicably-effective-against-us dicks) and obviously a lot of teams have had ups and down since then, but for the pars to get to this stage in the season with only a solitary defeat speaks volumes about how easy they've found it up to now, the odd baffling draws notwithstanding. Really good going and they'll rightly be looking to keep that up over these two games. 

Only the aforementioned Edinburgh have managed to win at our place so far and I expect us to make a really good go of it at home; play like we did versus Alloa, or the first 20 minutes in our most recent game versus Edinburgh before it fell away from us, and we'll be incredibly difficult for Dunfermline to live with. Reproduce that and I don't think they'll be able to stop us. 

Got to imagine it'll be harder to do that to them than it was Alloa, though. The 1-1 was a good game I thought, both teams having spells on top, so we probably all expect the same again. A win not beyond us by any means and who knows what impact that has on them for the away game that follows the week after. 

Got to actually win the home game first, though, which quite clearly hasn't been easy for anyone else in the division. 

Was crucial we didn't blow holes in our feet in the two home games the led up to this one, so we've set ourselves up nicely for it, and we've every right to approach it bullishly given our home form and what we're capable of. We've a stronger squad than when the initial tie was due to be played as well, which could be crucial. 

We're more than capable and you can tell there is huge belief in the squad about what they can achieve. When it clicks, Airdrie do look devastating, so here's hoping. Fancy us to edge it and upset the odds. 

15 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What's the feeling towards McCabe? When he was with us as a player I'd never have guessed he was the kind of character to get into management.

I'm biased I suppose but I love the guy. Was comfortably one of our best players last season and he's making a really good go at management. 

Funnily enough when it was announced, we all talked about how he seemed to be coaching his teammates through games at times last season already. Crucially he seems to have real buy-in from the squad; not only did he have the confidence of a lot of guys from last year who will have had options to go elsewhere to get them to resign for this season, but they all still buy-in to what he and Dycey are trying to do now we're into February. 

I think it's fair to say a lot of us were happy to try something different rather than just plucking some 'experienced', out-of-work dinosaur jobber who would no doubt have needed to start from scratch and would not have been able to retain the likes of Frizzell et al. In the here and now, I don't think any of us would go back on that feeling, either. 

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What's the feeling towards McCabe? When he was with us as a player I'd never have guessed he was the kind of character to get into management.

It's fair to say he splits opinion but mine is that if you give a 30 year old the Manager's job then you must be prepared to give him time, and by that I mean at least 2 full seasons before considering any review of his position. Yes, he has been a bit naive at times, the first Edinburgh trouncing especially, but does seem to command respect amongst the players. Still good enough to play, not the quickest but reads the game well and rarely gives the ball away, apart from Clyde last Saturday, and hits a mean free kick.

I'm all for sticking with him wherever we finish this season but there is lot of "the player/manager role" doesn't work continually mentioned from fans, football people & pundits alike.

32 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

When he signed for us last season I thought he'd be decent but didn't think he'd be one of our most influential players.

During the Covid season we were lacking creativity in midfield so it made sense that Murray signed him as he's good on the ball.

Watching him at the games last season he was the loudest player on the park and in constant communication with his team mates, basically coaching players during games.

I never thought when he signed he'd be the type of player or character to go into management, thought he was your typical ex old firm player who didn't make it and would drop down the divisions.

Although this season has had its ups and downs I think he's done a really good job considering the circumstances. Losing Murray and Easton was a massive blow and he's managed to retain majority of last seasons squad. 

I think finishing in the play offs would be a successful season for McCabe and Airdrie.

Edited by David Fernández

19 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm a fan, feel he's done well considering we had no real squad depth the first half of the season. The club said when he was appointed there would be a structure in place to help him but he's had no other coaches come in that weren't already here bar David Hutton who mans the touchline. 

Real leader on the park could see that last year that he's well liked and respected, hope he gets another go next season regardless if we go up or not. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I had the exact opposite opinion of McCabe last season. He was a natural leader on the park and, as others have said, practically coached players through games. Which he still does, particularly as we have a young squad. He seemed like he'd be a natural manager once his playing career ended. Didn't expect him to become a manager so soon mind you but overall, he's probably doing better than any player-manager has any right to. He's got us playing attractive, exciting and attacking football (which I appreciate isn't the most important thing. But when it's successful and you're winning games along with it there's nothing better), he's had us in and around the top 4 all season and I expect us to make the play-offs, we've won almost all of our home games in all competitions (fucking Edinburgh...) and the players all seem to have bought into and back his management and vision which won't necessarily be easy as a player-manager. A few misses in terms of recruitment but probably a success overall and he seems to have a criteria and plan for whenever he signs a player which I always think is better than a scattergun/sign whoever's available for x reason/sign my mates approach. 

I have probably been more critical of him than most. Our shape, and the style of football we play, leaves us WAY too open at times and it's never really been fixed which points to either a stubbornness or a fault in his coaching or shape. Our defending has also been comically bad at times. I've said on our thread multiple times but I don't think we've conceded one good or unavoidable goal this season. Both of these problems have hopefully been mitigated or even resolved with the return of Josh Rae and Fordyce moving back to right-sided centre-half. And I'd still like another coach in the dugout who has proper authority to make substitutions or tactical tweaks as I feel this can be really lacking when McCabe (and Fordyce) is on the park. 

But overall, I think he has to be seen as a success so far. He's also done all of the above whilst still remaining as one of our best and key players. If he'd been in charge last season we wouldn't have been as consistently good week-to-week but I do think we'd have won the play-off final. If he achieves that this season then, along with his goal against Motherwell, it's fair to say he'll go down as a bona-fide legend. 

Was a surprising appointment at the time but glad we took a chance on McCabe rather than go for one of the merry-go-round type appointments (reserve the right to change my mind on this depending on how the rest of the season goes). 

I could be wrong but I’m sure Queen of the South fans also said they never saw McCabe as a potential manager. I can’t remember ever having a player as vocal on the pitch as he was last season though. It wasn’t just shouting for the sake of it, it’s clear instructions on where to be positionally, encouragement when players try something that doesn’t quite come off. I don’t always agree with what he says in his post match interviews (you can’t always blame the forwards for not being clinical!) but he’s a very good communicator. 

As others have said, if we can finish in the top four then for a very young manager I think that’s a successful season. Ultimately our budget is nowhere near Falkirk and Dunfermline (and probably even smaller than Queen of the South) so to challenge for the league we need to overperform and them to underperform, and as we saw last season even that isn’t always enough.

He has his issues as a manager but I’ve seen enough to know that he’s worth persisting with. Him and Fordyce are good ambassadors for the club and their families seem very settled here. While some may still be skeptical about how good a manager he is, I think it’s fair to say everyone is behind him and would love him to be a success.

I quite liked McCabe at the Pars. Joined us halfway through the season when we last won League 1 and added something different to the midfield, we had Falkingham and Geggan who got stuck in, Byrne who showed nice moments but maybe a bit too young at the time. McCabe had a lot of composure, was brave enough to take penalties, free kicks etc. Sure he scored a late winner away to Cowdenbeath, could only have been a few games to go, we're facing dropping points to the team at the bottom and he puts one in the top corner from about 30 yards with minutes to play. Scored the winner from the spot against Raith the following season in the Fife derby.

Fordyce is another who I liked, took a really bad injury in our title winning season in the September but made it back to make a cameo appearance and lift the trophy with Geggs.

Hope to see them go on and do well, just not for the next two weekends. Not ruling Airdrie out as title contenders as who knows where we could be after the next two weeks but I think a playoff finish for McCabe after his first season as a manager would be a great achievement. Also had no idea until McCabe was appointed Airdrie manager that they were cousins.

I like what McCabe's achieved so far  in his short managerial career. 
His initial recruitment wasn’t great as we were extremely short on squad numbers (14 or 15 in total inc 3 keepers at one stage) thus hindering his ability to change a game with impact subs.

As others have said he’s a great communicator on the park and leads by example. When we click the football is just fantastic to watch but we don’t convert enough of our many chances and defensively we can lose some quite ridiculous goals.

However we do score some great goals like the the 2nd (Devenny’s calm finish) and 4th (McCabe’s 30 yard rocket free kick into the wind and the top corner) against Montrose in the last game at Links Park.
After the January transfer window we now have some different options a couple of which are already proving they’re able to impact a game (McGregor on Saturday and Stanway the previous week)

I don’t expect either team to get maximum points from the double header but if we could manage 4 out of 6 that would be success in my view. 

Dunfermline look as though they’ll be very hard to catch by any of the top 4 but it’s the hope that brings us back to support our local teams each week

c’mon the ♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

Wonder if McGregor will start this week. Although Gabby had a great first half on Saturday, McGregor was much more direct when he came on. 

I’d actually be of the mind to sit Smith out as he’s been off the boil for a good few weeks now (shiver) since (shiver) that (shiver) Peterhead (shiver) penalty. Of course that’s quite unlikely given that on his day he unplayable.

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

Wonder if McGregor will start this week. Although Gabby had a great first half on Saturday, McGregor was much more direct when he came on. 

I’d actually be of the mind to sit Smith out as he’s been off the boil for a good few weeks now (shiver) since (shiver) that (shiver) Peterhead (shiver) penalty. Of course that’s quite unlikely given that on his day he unplayable.

I would expect the only change Rhys is mulling over is Watson for ATS. No chance Smith will be left out and giving McGregor a starting debut against Josh Edwards wouldn't be a great idea.

At the moment it seems to me that McGregor is destined to be a sub/impact player, hope proves me wrong though.

8 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

You've lost points in almost 40% of your league games this season... Falkirk-esque banter there.

We literally hear the “fancy us to win” rhetoric every week and we have only lost once. Draw isn’t a disaster here for us, but we need to start turning the screw at this stage, as we’ve drew three stupid games we should have won comfortably. Literally against two absolutely fucking dogturd jobbers as well; we conspire to draw when pretty much every other team around us is beating the bottom two comfortably.

We’re our own worst enemy at times.  
We should be miles away from Falkirk without a care in the world going in to this, but as it is, we are still too close for comfort, and Falkirk can close the gap even further tonight against Alloa. I’m still confident we’ll win the league, but it should be less tense than it is heading in to the final third of the season (after this double-header against Airdrie). That’s our own fault in all fairness. I try not to worry about other teams results and just focus on us getting our job done, but you can’t help but watch over your shoulder given it’s that scum we’re fighting it out against. Would be sickening to lose the title to them from this position. Simply mustn’t be allowed to happen. 

McPake - get the job done, eh? 

Pressure on us to get a result now. As I said, draw not a disaster, but really need to be winning to keep some decent breathing space between us and that lot. Starting to heat up now. 

3 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Pressure on us to get a result now. As I said, draw not a disaster, but really need to be winning to keep some decent breathing space between us and that lot. Starting to heat up now. 

Maybe not now 🤣

23 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You actually think you will triple our league defeats and add 25% to our goals conceded from just 2 attempts? Really?  

Yes, hence why I said it. 

I'm not doubting your position but I'm equally not doubting our ability to turn you over twice.