Airdrieonians vs Dunfermline

Three points at home really is a must in this double header to consolidate in the play-off spots, but admittedly this is more of a “must not lose” type of match.

Haven’t seen Dunfermline yet this season but given the league table it will be a tough match even if they are going through the motions on a sleepwalk to the title.

Interesting to see what team we play. I suspect it’ll be the same team that started yesterday but I didn’t think Ballantyne was great and Watson would add more physicality and height at set-pieces. McGregor made a real impact when he came on and could be a good option to stretch the game and stop Edwards getting forward but I think McGill’s work-rate and tracking back will mean he starts. 

I thought Dunfermline edged the game earlier in the season (which feels like a long time ago now!) and from what I’ve seen of them, they seem like a team better suited to being compact and grinding out results rather than breaking teams down (based on their struggles at home and against Clyde and Peterhead). We’re generally very attacking and open, often too much so, so it should be an interesting game. We have to be confident with our home record though and if we can come close to replicating the Alloa performance we’ll have a great chance.

Good test for us, I thought Airdrie played well in the first half at East End in August (which feels like 10 years ago), however we played well in the second half, threw everything at it late on, hit the woodwork, had a goal chopped off which was soft. Since then Airdrie have done okay, sometimes you absolutely batter good teams and sometimes get absolutely humped. That being said, if the Pars can walk out of this double header with six points I’d be ecstatic.

“Best footballing team in the league.”Christ. We’re top by a pretty comfortable margin. 
Absolutely hate this “play football the right way” pish. Playing football the right was is winning, which we’re doing more often than not. 
If Airdrie like to “come out attacking”, we’ll probably win fairly comfortably, a la this weekend’s match. It’s teams that play compact and play pretty much for a draw we struggle against. 
Breen’s injury isn’t as bad as what it sounded like, but we’ll still PROBABLY need two centre halves quickly. Apart from that, it should be as you were. Get the job done and 3 points up eh road.  

38 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Breen’s injury isn’t as bad as what it sounded like, but we’ll still PROBABLY need two centre halves quickly

Aye, even before yesterday we desperately needed one, as much as Aaron Comrie has done well he’s just a wee guy. Playing alongside Bene has helped I’m sure. Shame the Murray thing didn’t come off.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

“Best footballing team in the league.”Christ. We’re top by a pretty comfortable margin. 
Absolutely hate this “play football the right way” pish. Playing football the right was is winning, which we’re doing more often than not. 
If Airdrie like to “come out attacking”, we’ll probably win fairly comfortably, a la this weekend’s match. It’s teams that play compact and play pretty much for a draw we struggle against. 
Breen’s injury isn’t as bad as what it sounded like, but we’ll still PROBABLY need two centre halves quickly. Apart from that, it should be as you were. Get the job done and 3 points up eh road.  

Totally agree. No need to be playing free flowing football to win games 👍

Just speaking in terms of entertainment and style, Dunfermline are far from the best footballing side in the league. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

So do I, but in fairness to the OP there was no mention of playing 'the right way'. Being a 'footballing side' (or not) is just a comment on a way of playing, not a judgement on the merits of doing it.

I don't think you'll find a single Airdrie fan who would moan about playing the way Dunfermline are and getting those results.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

I really don't care if this is the scrappiest/sh*tiest game ever as long as Airdrie win that's the main thing. Been in this league long enough I just want out of it.

Main focus should be on trying to secure our spot in the play offs before worrying about anything else. I'm more delighted with the win yesterday as it showed that even though we weren't at our best we can still grind our results.

Expect a very tough game, Dunfermline aren't top of the table for no reason, from watching some of the highlights from previous games they look very solid and excellent defensively.

Our home record is very good and I think it will be a very close game, but that also depends on whether our 'inconsistent best/worst' shows up on the day.

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Three points at home really is a must in this double header to consolidate in the play-off spots, but admittedly this is more of a “must not lose” type of match.

Haven’t seen Dunfermline yet this season but given the league table it will be a tough match even if they are going through the motions on a sleepwalk to the title.

Not sure I'd agree with that, I'd say the 'must not lose' games are more for the teams around us who we don't want to give 3 points to. Dunfermline aren't a play-off rival so I wouldn't be worried about risking a defeat to get the win, if they go a further 3 points ahead of us then who cares. If we're accepting a point at home to them then we're saying we're getting at best a point away too, 1 or 2 points of out these 2 games will see us drop out the play-offs, with Falkirk and an away match to a rejuvenated QOS to come.

Of course if there's any remaining idea of a title challenge (not that I think there is) then 6 points from 6 is a must, so again a draw doesn't help.

We need to be going into them with a positive attitude and even if we were to win 1 out the 2 that would be a good return and better than a couple of draws.

I think the folk who think we don't play much football - other than the salty Falkirk fans who think 35 sideways passes along the back four then launching a long diagonal ball is exciting football - haven't really seem much of us tbh. In most games we come up against teams that sit in and we try various different things to break them down. Sometimes it's a patient possession based style, sometimes it involves getting the ball to the wingbacks and attacking from deep, sometimes it's going through the middle with Mochrie or Todd breaking through the lines and very occasionally if nothing works we go for the McCann or Todorov battering ram approach. I think having several ways of playing is a good thing and it isn't as if we are overly defensive or direct. 

Anyway, should hopefully make this one and expecting a tough game. Think Airdrie were really good for almost an hour at EEP and while their results have been up and down (how can you keep losing to Edinburgh ffs?) New Broomfield is always somewhere we find a difficult place to come away from with the win. I'd take a 1-0 now, and hopefully Alloa can help us out and give us a wee boost midweek.

55 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be giving a Falkirk supporter a greenie 😅 stranger things have happened however and I hope you're indeed correct 🤞 

Have a lie down mate, Telfer is saving up the screamers until the match after the Dunfermline double header!

8 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Aye, even before yesterday we desperately needed one, as much as Aaron Comrie has done well he’s just a wee guy. Playing alongside Bene has helped I’m sure. Shame the Murray thing didn’t come off.

I was absolutely delighted in how comrie dealt with Mcallister after being forced into center back within a back 4, Mcallister fancied himself against him and got f**k all out of him(vs 1st half when he got a bit out of Breen and bene)  Like you I was worried about how he’d adapt in there given his size, but if he can handle McAllister then he’ll do well against most strikers in the league.

That said it’s still absolutely pray for Breen time, despite my certain atheism  

8 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Totally agree. No need to be playing free flowing football to win games 👍

Just speaking in terms of entertainment and style, Dunfermline are far from the best footballing side in the league. 

Surely the best footballing side is the one who gets the best results.? Being exciting or have a style the weirdos have decided is the best is nothing to do with it.    

I wouldn’t really object to us being described as not free-flowing or similar, but the idea that the team best at playing football by results is not the best footballing side seems a weird as f**k take.

44 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I was absolutely delighted in how comrie dealt with Mcallister after being forced into center back within a back 4, Mcallister fancied himself against him and got f**k all out of him(vs 1st half when he got a bit out of Breen and bene)  Like you I was worried about how he’d adapt in there given his size, but if he can handle McAllister then he’ll do well against most strikers in the league.

Oh 100%, when we went to the back four I did think they’d just start hoofing balls, and they did but McCallister didn’t get a sniff. He’s one big torn faced b*****d btw. Thing is, when Comrie played in the back three under Peter Grant he was playing alongside Paul Watson and Ross Graham which won’t fill you with confidence if you’re a 5ft10 right back trying to play centre half. Bene will have helped so much but well done to Aaron for dealing with it.

11 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Surely the best footballing side is the one who gets the best results.? Being exciting or have a style the weirdos have decided is the best is nothing to do with it.    

I wouldn’t really object to us being described as not free-flowing or similar, but the idea that the team best at playing football by results is not the best footballing side seems a weird as f**k take.

Did I imply that the best footballing team have the best results? No. They are mutually exclusive in my opinion.

Dunfermline are a big strong side who use their physicality very well. I just don’t think the football they play is as inspiring as you would think (given their results).

Hopefully you can get past the weirdness of a simple difference of opinion son.