Diddy semi-final #1 - Hamilton's Academicals v The Beautiful South

Otis Blue

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Me?

I do disagree, I'm aware it makes me a minority of one. I couldn't give a monkey's about the Colt sides playing, none of them get very far anyway. I really don't see a problem with it. I don't think they add anything to the tournament, I don't think they detract from it either. It's a pain in the arse administratively with younger loanees getting themselves cup tied as a result but otherwise couldn't care less.

Did rangers b not get to the quarters or semis b4 going out to Inverness a couple of seasons ago?

3 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

It's a fair point - fans of clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Partick (for example) probably see their clubs as not quite as "diddy" as the rest of us and have (perhaps unrealistic) aspirations to compete well in the big competitions and so see this wee Diddy Cup as a distraction.  The evidence however (ie their actual performance in the big competitions) suggests otherwise and this wee cup is probably also their more realistic shot at silverware.

Again, there's no doubt that some of the more aspirational diddy clubs do field weaker sides in this tournament, but that's their call.  Cups by their nature are different to league competitions - in a cup you can reach a final through winning only a handful of ties and by getting lucky along the way, whereas a league is a different measure altogether and hence why it is rightly viewed as the main event.  In reaching or winning a cup final you can only beat what's put in front of you and I don't think that should entirely devalue it.

I think we all agree that the introduction of the U21 colt sides devalued the tournament and was a disgrace - not that it occurred to the "blazers" who run our game.

Partick Thistle certainly wanted to win it when we beat them in the Final. Remember the pitch invasion well. That was sweet!

9 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

Partick Thistle certainly wanted to win it when we beat them in the Final. Remember the pitch invasion well. That was sweet!

Very much so, they moan about the Diddy Cup but get to a final (or indeed a semi final) and quite naturally they want to win it. The finals are usually a good day out ... unless you've got David Hutton in goals that is ...

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think they add anything to the tournament, I don't think they detract from it either. 

The crowd numbers could be an argument about what they detract from it I suppose. The crowd numbers for it are generally pish but I'd imagine we'd still get a better home crowd against Airdrie than we would Motherwell U21's. 

44 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

That was probably more the way the game played out. I doubt if Thistle were 1-0 up and scored a 2nd in the 90th minute the scenes would have been anywhere near that. I reckon they'd have reacted the same way if that was a league game tbh given the circumstances. 

Add me to the list of posters who quite like this cup. I felt the 2002/03 final just a few months after promotion really extended the feeling of a "purple patch" and the scenes v Partick in 2013 were excellent viewing. The Challenge Cup also had a big part in Derek Lyle becoming our most decorated player. Just checked and Queens are one of only three teams to have reached five finals (along with ICT and Ross County). A win tonight would make us the only team to have reached six finals.

It is most definitely a diddy cup, but as a fan of a diddy team I quite enjoy the memories it's given us. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

On to tonight's game. As I've said to death, I really don't care about the cup. But given we have had a couple of wins on the bounce it would be really good to keep that momentum going. To do it without some of our new boys would show some progress as well. 

Hamilton is a shite venue for us generally and they are on a cracking run of form as well. I know they have a bigger game on Friday but tbh I'm hoping they field a strong side tonight to give us an idea of where we are. A good couple of wins as I say, but Peterhead and EFC have been pretty easy games for us this season even when we were far worse.