Diddy semi-final #1 - Hamilton's Academicals v The Beautiful South

Otis Blue

Can't see a thread for this one (unless I've missed it).

Queens are the underdogs here and the weakest of the four sides left, but its a semi and nothing to lose with a chance to make what would be our 6th final of Diddyness, so bring it on.

Game's live on Alba I think so that's gonna affect our travelling support understandably.

We have a few of the new guys cup-tied and not available for this so we'll be relying mostly on the original season starting squad which limits our options/chances.

Accies seem to have picked up of late with a few good results recently, so expecting a tough time on Tuesday night.  The deciding factor might be how seriously Accies treat this game - they've got serious other business to maintain their Championship status and they've obviously got their Big Cup game against the Jambos on Friday night - so they may well be using their squad a bit for this game (as will Queens no doubt).

No doubt the National Grid have been forewarned of the likely surge in power demand when this crowd-puller airs live on TV ... aye?

14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Massive game, cannae wait. 

Yep, that's certainly the general view of most of the Queens P&B followers - little interest unless we reach a final.  I'm the exception to the rule I think.

10 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, that's certainly the general view of most of the Queens P&B followers - little interest unless we reach a final.  I'm the exception to the rule I think.

I actually don't mind this competition now that the Colts teams have been eliminated, more like the tournament we've had a wee bit of success in in the past. I think (hope) we're safe enough fom relegation in the League and don't see us managing to make the top 4, although still aiming to finish as high as possible, so it would be good to reach the Final of the Diddy Cup rather than just letting the season peter out. 

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I actually don't mind this competition now that the Colts teams have been eliminated, more like the tournament we've had a wee bit of success in in the past. I think (hope) we're safe enough fom relegation in the League and don't see us managing to make the top 4, although still aiming to finish as high as possible, so it would be good to reach the Final of the Diddy Cup rather than just letting the season peter out. 

Very difficult game Hamilton have made some good  signing and have recently hit good form.

We have a poor record at Hamilton hopefully they rest key players for the Scottish Cup on Friday  night .

We could be missing a few players could be as many as 6 out think this will show we are still a work in progress .

Given that Queens will be missing most of our new recruits, the result here I think will depend on what level of team Accies decide to field in this one.  If they put out a strong squad then we're gubbed.  If they don't then with a decent sprinkling of cup luck we might have a chance.  I'm not feeling hopeful here though.

I dont think we need to exaggerate what we're 'missing'. Dabrowski can play. The only one of Sarurday's team unavailable is Jack Brydon. Whether the manager chooses to play the others is another question but given its 10 days till our next game I dont see any real need to rest anyone.

We'll be shorter of options on the bench with Kabia and Logan cup tied. With Johnstone and Burns departed on loan, Wilson and Morrison presumably injured and 3 cup tied, then you would assume at least two of the loan listed players will come back into the squad. All 3 if Connelly isnt fit either.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont think we need to exaggerate what we're 'missing'. Dabrowski can play. The only one of Sarurday's team unavailable is Jack Brydon. Whether the manager chooses to play the others is another question but given its 10 days till our next game I dont see any real need to rest anyone.

We'll be shorter of options on the bench with Kabia and Logan cup tied. With Johnstone and Burns departed on loan, Wilson and Morrison presumably injured and 3 cup tied, then you would assume at least two of the loan listed players will come back into the squad. All 3 if Connelly isnt fit either.

Brydon played for Hibs B, Logan played for Hearts B and Kabia played for Morton in the earlier rounds so unavailable to play on Tuesday. 

On 05/02/2023 at 22:11, Otis Blue said:

I really don't understand (most) Queens fans attitude to this Cup. We can't realistically get far in the League Cup or Scottish Cup, and we haven't been challenging for a league anytime recently, this is the only chance we have to win something.

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I really don't understand (most) Queens fans attitude to this Cup. We can't realistically get far in the League Cup or Scottish Cup, and we haven't been challenging for a league anytime recently, this is the only chance we have to win something.

It's not unique to Queens fans tbh. Realistically the vast majority of sides that compete in this competition have no chance of getting that far in the other cups either but still treat this competition with contempt. The organisers haven't helped, making it an even bigger joke by adding U21's. 

I think the fact a rank rotten QoS side got to the final last season and this group has a chance to do it as well shows how little interest sides have in it. It's that reason why I really couldn't care about it. Winning it isn't that much of an achievement IMO and certainly nothing worth bragging about. 

I am miserable though and do appreciate a cup final is a rarity for sides like us. 

Edited by 19QOS19

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's not unique to Queens fans tbh. Realistically the vast majority of sides that compete in this competition have no chance of getting that far in the other cups either but still treat this competition with contempt. The organisers haven't helped, making it an even bigger joke by adding U21's. 

I think the fact a rank rotten QoS side got to the final last season and this group has a chance to do it as well shows how little interest sides have in it. It's that reason why I really couldn't care about it. Winning it isn't that much of an achievement IMO and certainly nothing worth bragging about. 

I am miserable though and do appreciate a cup final is a rarity for sides like us. 

It's a fair point - fans of clubs like Dunfermline, Falkirk, Partick (for example) probably see their clubs as not quite as "diddy" as the rest of us and have (perhaps unrealistic) aspirations to compete well in the big competitions and so see this wee Diddy Cup as a distraction.  The evidence however (ie their actual performance in the big competitions) suggests otherwise and this wee cup is probably also their more realistic shot at silverware.

Again, there's no doubt that some of the more aspirational diddy clubs do field weaker sides in this tournament, but that's their call.  Cups by their nature are different to league competitions - in a cup you can reach a final through winning only a handful of ties and by getting lucky along the way, whereas a league is a different measure altogether and hence why it is rightly viewed as the main event.  In reaching or winning a cup final you can only beat what's put in front of you and I don't think that should entirely devalue it.

I think we all agree that the introduction of the U21 colt sides devalued the tournament and was a disgrace - not that it occurred to the "blazers" who run our game.

Edited by Otis Blue

16 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

He'll need a little time.

👏👏👏 

... tbf Paul Heaton does have a soft spot for "The Beautiful South" ...

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I think we all agree that the introduction of the U21 colt sides devalued the tournament and was a disgrace - not that it occurred to the "blazers" who run our game.

I bet there's one regular poster on here who disagrees with you. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

19 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Brydon and Logan   playing for Hibs B and Hearts  B .

Then both sent  out on loan before  playing  for us thought you could only play for 2 clubs a season. 

The game tonight extra time and pens ?

7 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Brydon and Logan   playing for Hibs B and Hearts  B .

Then both sent  out on loan before  playing  for us thought you could only play for 2 clubs a season. 

The game tonight extra time and pens ?

2 "senior" clubs. Age level teams don't count.

56 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I bet there's one regular poster on here who disagrees with you. 

Me?

I do disagree, I'm aware it makes me a minority of one. I couldn't give a monkey's about the Colt sides playing, none of them get very far anyway. I really don't see a problem with it. I don't think they add anything to the tournament, I don't think they detract from it either. It's a pain in the arse administratively with younger loanees getting themselves cup tied as a result but otherwise couldn't care less.