Alloa vs Falkirk 7/2/23

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Whilst I agree Burrell's better coming off the bench as an impact sub I can't get behind Oliver being a better option than Allan to start. 

Why? Either you think that Allan would be better in the lone role or you think we should change the system. We've no evidence to suggest that he would be better on his own (other than the testaments from Clyde fans that tell us he's no good at it) and I can't understand why anyone would want to change a winning formula? There may even be a better argument for Wright to start in the lone role due to his physicality although I didn't think he did all that well when he came on on Saturday.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not an Oliver cheerleader, I just think that he's done perfectly well in the role that he's been given and I can't see a reason for changing it. It would be great if we could have Allan and Burrell starting and terrorising defences while scoring umpteen goals in the process and that may yet come to pass if we're forced to change things for whatever reason, but let's wait until we need to.

Allan may well play tonight and I obviously would hope that he did very well because he's more of a goal threat than Oliver I think, but I don't see the point in taking the chance.

40 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Why? Either you think that Allan would be better in the lone role or you think we should change the system. We've no evidence to suggest that he would be better on his own (other than the testaments from Clyde fans that tell us he's no good at it) and I can't understand why anyone would want to change a winning formula? There may even be a better argument for Wright to start in the lone role due to his physicality although I didn't think he did all that well when he came on on Saturday.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not an Oliver cheerleader, I just think that he's done perfectly well in the role that he's been given and I can't see a reason for changing it. It would be great if we could have Allan and Burrell starting and terrorising defences while scoring umpteen goals in the process and that may yet come to pass if we're forced to change things for whatever reason, but let's wait until we need to.

Allan may well play tonight and I obviously would hope that he did very well because he's more of a goal threat than Oliver I think, but I don't see the point in taking the chance.

Oliver played up top on his own against Alloa in the cup game, he didn't really offer anything it was only when Burrell came off the bench we scored our winner and same again on Saturday there.

You can say Oliver's on to soften the defence up for Burrell coming on later but if that's the case why wouldn't Jordan Allan be able to do that aswell as providing more of a goal threat than Oliver does.

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Oliver played up top on his own against Alloa in the cup game, he didn't really offer anything it was only when Burrell came off the bench we scored our winner and same again on Saturday there.

You can say Oliver's on to soften the defence up for Burrell coming on later but if that's the case why wouldn't Jordan Allan be able to do that aswell as providing more of a goal threat than Oliver does.

I don't know if Allan could or not, that's the point I'm making. We could play Allan and he might not suit the system, could be totally lost against two big Alloa defenders. What do we do then? Bring on Burrell too early? Wouldn't be much point in introducing Oliver as an impact sub.

4 hours ago, Waspie said:

No UK stream tonight @LeodhasXD?

I thought we played well in the cup game but didn't take our chances. Obviously followed that up with a real shocker at Airdrie which has probably set us back a bit again. In light of that managing even a point would be a decent effort. 

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/product/ppv-falkirk/

SPFL have given us permission.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't know if Allan could or not, that's the point I'm making. We could play Allan and he might not suit the system, could be totally lost against two big Alloa defenders. What do we do then? Bring on Burrell too early? Wouldn't be much point in introducing Oliver as an impact sub.

I see all the arguments and their are cases for Allan and Burrell starting but i think McGlynn knows best and has not done a thing to make me doubt it apart from that McCann right back brain fart!

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Again he was excellent against our two big defenders  as a lone striker when we played them scoring twice and ran our centre backs ragged.  This idea of starting with the same team then waiting till we're a goal down and bringing the subs on to win the day isn't for me I'm afraid. It's a hell of a gamble  . I mean why buy a striker if your just going to keep Oliver as the starting striker when his goal threat is virtually non existant.  We should learn from the last time we played alloa and not just start the same side hoping that if we struggle again the subs will pull us out the mire once again. Different if the team we have been starting with was blowing teams away but that's not been the case.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Again he was excellent against our two big defenders  as a lone striker when we played them scoring twice and ran our centre backs ragged.  This idea of starting with the same team then waiting till we're a goal down and bringing the subs on to win the day isn't for me I'm afraid. It's a hell of a gamble  . I mean why buy a striker if your just going to keep Oliver as the starting striker when his goal threat is virtually non existant.  We should learn from the last time we played alloa and not just start the same side hoping that if we struggle again the subs will pull us out the mire once again. Different if the team we have been starting with was blowing teams away but that's not been the case.

I wasn't at the game in Hamilton. Did Clyde play him as a lone striker with the strategy of him holding the ball up to bring the midfield into scoring positions (which is the way we're playing at present) or did they play a system that was intended to supply him with chances?

McGlynn has the team playing a certain way, he's not 'hoping' that the starting line up will win us the game, he's using the squad to it's full advantage. How many times in the run of unbeaten games have we waited until we're a goal down before changing it? Saturday past, obviously, but how many more?

We brought Allan in because we were light up front, not enough options and too few forwards with different qualities.

24 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I have to say “leave our best players on the bench so we have someone to bring on when we’re not winning” is an interesting argument.

Yep. I'm inclined to agree with this. I totally understand mcglynn doesn't want to change a winning team but we've rode our luck quite a bit in some of these games. I'm with Ross on Falkirk daft, tweak it slightly according to the opposition, start with our strongest team and let them worry about us. Wearing teams down and bringing on your strikers with 30 minutes to go is a very risky strategy (that's admittedly paid off recently)

Edited by bridge of allan bairn