Alloa vs Falkirk 7/2/23

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Or log in and download it from the my account page.

No UK stream tonight @LeodhasXD?

I thought we played well in the cup game but didn't take our chances. Obviously followed that up with a real shocker at Airdrie which has probably set us back a bit again. In light of that managing even a point would be a decent effort. 

On 05/02/2023 at 20:24, ShaggerG said:

I wouldn't change the team at all TBH. According to Clyde and Airdrie fans Allan's good at poaching and runs his heart out closing down defenders but isn't very good at taking the ball in and laying it off which is what our attacking game is all about at the moment. Oliver's best in a number 10 role but is likely the best we have in the role striking role just now. I'd only have Burrell as a lone striker against teams that attack and leave room at the back which is none of them, apart from maybe Airdrie?

If we've signed two new strikers and yet Oliver is still the best option we have then I'd begin to worry a bit.  Allen was excellent in the loan striker role against us at ndp so no reason why he shouldn't be able to play there for us.

42 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

If we've signed two new strikers and yet Oliver is still the best option we have then I'd begin to worry a bit.  Allen was excellent in the loan striker role against us at ndp so no reason why he shouldn't be able to play there for us.

I'm assuming you're not suggesting that we change a winning formula then?

We've won 6 in a row playing with Oliver up top so I wouldn't be changing that. As I said, Clyde & Airdrie fans say that Allan's not good at ball retention so, if we're going to play one up top why not persevere with the line-up as it is? Alegria was also good at holding the ball and bringing others in and would still be up there if he was still with us, however, McGlynn had to change it when he left and Oliver was the only feasible option at the time. The guy's done ok there so I would leave it alone.

Burrell, as we know, is very good at coming off the bench for the last half hour and running past tired defenders but he doesn't seem to be as effective when on from the start (unless it's against teams that leave gaps at the back) so I would persist with that too TBH.

We wouldn't have signed Wright if we'd kept Alegria because he wouldn't have been needed. We already had the lone striker and the runner, we just needed a different type who we've signed in Allan. I don't think Allan's been signed as a like for like replacement for Alegria though.

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

No UK stream tonight @LeodhasXD?

I thought we played well in the cup game but didn't take our chances. Obviously followed that up with a real shocker at Airdrie which has probably set us back a bit again. In light of that managing even a point would be a decent effort. 

Not as I read it... The SPFL rules say we can't show anything in the domestic territory until midnight next day.

Actually probably a cock-up on my part. There's a 14 day in advance provision that I've just read about for offering PPV.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Mikey Doyle signed for Alloa on loan 👍 Good to see a club legend back but how fit is he going to be? Will bring a bit of fight and leadership to the team. Doesn’t look like he’s featured for Hamilton this season, hopefully more than able to do a job at this level. 

7 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm assuming you're not suggesting that we change a winning formula then?

We've won 6 in a row playing with Oliver up top so I wouldn't be changing that. As I said, Clyde & Airdrie fans say that Allan's not good at ball retention so, if we're going to play one up top why not persevere with the line-up as it is? Alegria was also good at holding the ball and bringing others in and would still be up there if he was still with us, however, McGlynn had to change it when he left and Oliver was the only feasible option at the time. The guy's done ok there so I would leave it alone.

Burrell, as we know, is very good at coming off the bench for the last half hour and running past tired defenders but he doesn't seem to be as effective when on from the start (unless it's against teams that leave gaps at the back) so I would persist with that too TBH.

We wouldn't have signed Wright if we'd kept Alegria because he wouldn't have been needed. We already had the lone striker and the runner, we just needed a different type who we've signed in Allan. I don't think Allan's been signed as a like for like replacement for Alegria though.

On Saturday  though it wasn't the first 11 that won us the game it was the subs and not for the first time in our run. I'd just prefer we didn't have to rely on changes to the starting side during the game  to get 3 points as one of these times that ain't going to work. Play your best centre forward from the start and that for me isn't Oliver by any means. He's filled in ok but we've got far more options now.

1 minute ago, Alloamad said:

Mikey Doyle signed for Alloa on loan 👍 Good to see a club legend back but how fit is he going to be? Will bring a bit of fight and leadership to the team. Doesn’t look like he’s featured for Hamilton this season, hopefully more than able to do a job at this level. 

Since he's played 28 games for Hamilton this season... ???

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

On Saturday  though it wasn't the first 11 that won us the game it was the subs and not for the first time in our run. I'd just prefer we didn't have to rely on changes to the starting side during the game  to get 3 points as one of these times that ain't going to work. Play your best centre forward from the start and that for me isn't Oliver by any means. He's filled in ok but we've got far more options now.

Exactly. The system's working.

The problem with changing the starting front-line is if it doesn't work from the start the subs you can make are likely to be less impactful.

I get the clamour for Burrell from the start but I honestly can't see it improving us by the margins some seem to think.

I also think that if and when McGlynn does come to changing it, the one up top will be Allan rather than Burrell.  He likes the work-rate.

There's no way we should be starting Oliver tonight up front on his own. He got bullied massively by Alloa's big defenders in the Cup game a few weeks ago and that was a large part of why we struggled so much in the first half. I know McGlynn likes him because he 'links the play', but that is pointless if you can't get up the pitch. I'd have Allan up top from now on. I'm not against Oliver generally, he's decent at this level - just better in the 10 role or with a striking partner imo