Alloa vs Falkirk 7/2/23

Decent game and agree with Kev, it didn't look like it was going to be our night in front of goal.ย 

Defence looked really good for most of the night, although Falkirk asked more questions when they made the changes.

Good effort by Alloa, and the youngsters who came off the bench.

This guy however, was the star of the night on twitter

Screenshot_20230207-221826_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20230207-221943_Twitter.jpg

Our lack of striking options cost us a win tonight IMO but happy with a draw , Scougall going off and we fall back as usual , but we tired a bit too it seems,ย ย ย A good striker in there and we could push on,ย  good effort tonight though and moved up 1 place in front of Edinburgh

ย 

ย 

I hope that Morrison and Kennedy were carrying knocks because he shouldn't have changed a winning formula IMO. We at least found that Allan won't do as a lone striker because, as explained by the Clyde and Airdrie fans, absolutely nothing stuck with him at all.

Similar to the cup I thought we were better for most of the game although Falkirk brought on players who had a positive impact in the last 20 mins . We just couldn't find the goal touch despite many excellent crosses particularly from the ever improving Daniel Church.ย 

It was a clear penalty the boy was clumsy.

We have been threadbare recently and have been struggling with the 7 players out .

Not a failure in the Alloa team tonight and special mention to the two young subs and Coulston who has been a real find for Alloa.ย 

I don't think Falkirk will trouble Dunfermline albeit I don't think they are that great either. Morrison was excellent from the bench and probably should have started .ย 

In summary I thought it was a decent game tonight.ย 

Not really sure what McGlynn was thinking with with the selection/ tactics tonight. Playing two strikers but no wingers = no width = no service. Saying that, some of the decision making and passing tonight was well below the usual standard. Subs turned the game in our favour. Donaldson coming on and winning everything in the air was a massive help, the best CB at the club by some distance imo.ย 

Despite that first half performance it looked like the 3 points were in the bag, so to throw them away like that was a real sickener. Of course it was a fooking penalty as well, we must be just about the only team in Britain not to have had one this season :lol:

Still, the winning run had to come to an end at some time and Alloa have given us two really tough games tbf. The main positive is McGlynn's transfer dealings have given us a really strong bench which will be vital in the run in with injuries/ suspensions. Just need to dust ourselves down and go on another winning runย 

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Our lack of striking options cost us a win tonight IMO but happy with a draw , Scougall going off and we fall back as usual , but we tired a bit too it seems,ย ย ย A good striker in there and we could push on,ย  good effort tonight though and moved up 1 place in front of Edinburgh

ย 

ย 

Scougall is arguably the best midfielder in this league,ย  he always seems to get subbed around the hour mark, is this due to general fitness or playing through an injury,ย  if the latter would it not make more sense to heal the injury and get back to full fitness...

ย 

it certainly gives h thee opposition a boost when he trundles off...

Watched the Falkirk TV highlights and didnโ€™t think it was a pen, but on viewing the Alloa TV from a better angle it was a penalty.ย 

On the whole Alloa deserved their point, the gaffer tried something with the line up and it didnโ€™t work. We went two up top but sacrificed the width in our side so essentially we starved the two front men of ammunition.ย 
ย 

A draw at Alloa isnโ€™t a bad result as they are a decent side, so no need for panic stations. ย There will be a lot more points dropped by all sides involved in the shake up before any prizes are handed out. Just got to move on to the next game and learn from the selection mistakes as to what did and didnโ€™t work.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

8 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Allan won't do as a lone striker because, as explained by the Clyde and Airdrie fans, absolutely nothing stuck with him at all.

Stanger had him in his back pocket , You guys don't seem to like Stanger and we will do well to keep him he is still young and is a class act .

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Stanger had him in his back pocket , You guys don't seem to like Stanger and we will do well to keep him he is still young and is a class act .

Why don't we like Stanger? Don't think I've seen anything particularly scathing written about him? One man who certainly should have been booked last night was Taggart. He fouled Morrison four times, all given by the ref, and should really have been booked for the first one so, on that basis, he was lucky to stay on.

As far as the game was concerned we were really really poor until Morrison and Kennedy were introduced however that meant substituting Burrell who was our best chance of a goal. The irony of course being that Oliver scored however Burrell may just have managed another one? We'll never know.

We need to get back to the system that was working previously for the Darvel match.

48 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Why don't we like Stanger?

Were you at the game ? the howling and and shouts in the last two games says that, they were noteably quite loud towards him , As for Morrison maybe if he didnt make a meal of it when he gets Tackled the ref might have given Taggart a booking , maybe Taggs was lucky not to be booked but thier is a difference to his tackles and the one Allan did on stanger where he was booked , I thought the referee was fair , Falkirk fans do have a slightly inflated sense of entitlement sometimes IMO .

Good away crowd though which does add to the atmosphere , Credit there to them .

A good game last night (from what I saw on the stream, I missed bits here and there) with a draw probably a fair result. We did well for the first 70 minutes but I still have concerns about our play in the final third, where we seem to lack a little quality in creating clear cut chances. Fingers crossed that should improve when we get Kev Cawley and LD back in the team. Defensively we're beginning to look a bit stronger, and if we can keep a bit of consistency with Doyle, Durnan, Taggart, Stanger, and Church/Strachan then hopefully we'll continue to improve there.

I thought that for Falkirk McGlynn almost got his tactics spot on. He presumably knew that Scougall was unlikely to last much beyond the hour mark, and also that part time teams inevitably tire quicker in midweek games. He would have been thinking that by bringing on Morrison and Kennedy for the last quarter of the game Falkirk would be able to pin us back and get a goal in that closing period. It very nearly worked.

Fingers crossed that having a free week will help us for the next game in Falkirk and we can get the injured players close to fitness and Scougall closer to being able to play 90 minutes.

Edited by Dink
Autocorrect - definitely not shit spelling

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Were you at the game ? the howling and and shouts in the last two games says that, they were noteably quite loud towards him , As for Morrison maybe if he didnt make a meal of it when he gets Tackled the ref might have given Taggart a booking , maybe Taggs was lucky not to be booked but thier is a difference to his tackles and the one Allan did on stanger where he was booked , I thought the referee was fair , Falkirk fans do have a slightly inflated sense of entitlement sometimes IMO .

Good away crowd though which does add to the atmosphere , Credit there to them .

The youngster who ran the full length of the stand to volley a blue flare into the home end after the opener was a particular highlight.ย 

I do like the crowds Falkirk and Dunfermline bring to the ground. We used to see this often in our heady days of being a regular in the Championship. It's adds a bit of an edge to the game, and some additional adversity to try and overcome. It adds to the games.

Really enjoyed the game and very pleased to get a, deserved,ย  point. Tremendous effort from all the Alloa players, with the defence looking as solid as it has all year, Durnan making a real difference.

Similar to the cup-tie I thought we didn't allow Falkirk to play with our pressing and direct approach, even if we overdo the latter at times. Obviously their subs made a big difference, as you would expect, while we could only bring on Adam King and the two young lads; credit to Rice for giving them that chance and they both did well enough.

Good to see Doyley back in an Alloa shirt. He may not be the most talented footballer in the world, but he brings an energy and positivity to the team. Will be interesting to see what happens when Strachan is fit. Personally I would go with the same back three.

How much has Daniel Church come on this year? Really grown in confidence and provides so many dangerous crosses; although I feel Sammon, McIver etc could read those better at times and pull off more quickly to the back post.

7 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The youngster who ran the full length of the stand to volley a blue flare into the home end after the opener was a particular highlight.ย 

I do like the crowds Falkirk and Dunfermline bring to the ground. We used to see this often in our heady days of being a regular in the Championship. It's adds a bit of an edge to the game, and some additional adversity to try and overcome. It adds to the games.

I missed that flair incident. ๐Ÿ˜„

Agree, having a big crowd at the Indodrill is Great. Not so good when you are driving back to Falkirk and their are road works leading to a half hour delay though. ๐Ÿ˜’ย Still the prospect of the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon I got at Morrison's to celebrate Taggs cool penalty kept my spirits up. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

Edited by printer