Dumbarton vs Annan Athletic

Outcome?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/23 at 15:00

Joe McKee could be back tomorrow with Gemmell being the only expected absentee. https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/dumbarton-face-a-test-against-annan/

I'd quite like to see a bit more than ten minutes of Russell McLean but I'm a bit unsure of starting him. Still getting two up front, Forthbank flashbacks.

1 minute ago, Tenkay said:

This should be an easy win for Dumbarton?

Annan have won their last three, scoring nine and conceding one. And arguably have the league's best forward in red hot form. So I'm not really sure what's given you that impression.

Just now, Tenkay said:

I've not really followed League 2 so closely this season, but see Dumbarton are top of the league, so must obviously be the best team!

We're better than we were when you lot pumped us last May. But whether or not we're the best team in League Two we'll only know in a few months! I've been watching us for long enough now that I'm only just starting to accept we aren't in a relegation battle :lol:

3 hours ago, microdave said:

Joe McKee could be back tomorrow with Gemmell being the only expected absentee. https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/dumbarton-face-a-test-against-annan/

I'd quite like to see a bit more than ten minutes of Russell McLean but I'm a bit unsure of starting him. Still getting two up front, Forthbank flashbacks.

We all need to get over these Forthbank flashbacks, including the manager.  What happened that day was a combination of individual errors and a collectively poor team performance coming up against a very decent Stirling one.  And conceding goals from totally unmarked headers from corners had little to do with us trying two up front.

And what are we saying here ?  That only one of Wallace, Russell McLean and Byrne can ever be on the park at the same time ?  Yet we finished last Saturday with three centre-backs.

We've scored three goals over the last three league games, one of them a penalty.  And when Ryan Wallace departs after 70 minutes we seem to lose the ability to press the opposition back line and retain the ball in their half. 

It would be nice to think that we might see a bit more attacking intent in the games to come, and to those who point to the current league table I would remind them that we've a good way to go yet.

A win tomorrow would put distance between us and Stirling, let's hope we can achieve it and see a bit more adventure in the process.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

I'd like to see us change things.

We should have seen the game out last week, but we didnt play particularly well. Didn't test the Stenny keeper nearly enough. Annan are in good form and can punish us, so sitting on a 1 goal lead would be a massive gamble. I'm not sure if dropping Wallace deeper and putting McLean up front is the answer, but it would certainly be an attacking change. 

29 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It would be nice to think that we might see a bit more attacking intent in the games to come, and to those who point to the current league table I would remind them that we've a good way to go yet.

We’re getting to the business end of the season now and numerous teams in the league are really starting to fire - most notably Forfar and this weekends opponents. If we want to maintain our position at the top I feel like we need to add a different dimension to our game. I don’t think scoring a goal and camping in our own half every game will be enough to win the league, and that tactic came back to bite us on the arse last weekend - we really need to be a bit more expansive at times. We’ve stuttered a bit since the turn of the year and the only positive result has been a 1-0 win against the bottom side. The most convincing I’ve seen us all season was against Clyde in the cup when we passed them off the park and attacked in waves, we even grabbed a late goal to kill things off. 

I’d like to see Farrell mix things up a bit and that includes starting the guy who scored double figures in the league above last season. We need to find a better balance IMO.

53 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We all need to get over these Forthbank flashbacks, including the manager.  What happened that day was a combination of individual errors and a collectively poor team performance coming up against a very decent Stirling one.  And conceding goals from totally unmarked headers from corners had little to do with us trying two up front.

And what are we saying here ?  That only one of Wallace, Russell McLean and Byrne can ever be on the park at the same time ?  Yet we finished last Saturday with three centre-backs.

We've scored three goals over the last three league games, one of them a penalty.  And when Ryan Wallace departs after 70 minutes we seem to lose the ability to press the opposition back line and retain the ball in their half. 

A win tomorrow would put distance between us and Stirling, let's hope we can achieve it and see a bit more adventure in the process.

You are spot on. I've argued in the past that the one non Scottish Scotland manager not being very good shouldn't rule out another at some point and this is similar. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I needed it. If you can also help me get last week's ending out of my head too, that would be great. I can't help feeling that was a turning point in our season and not in a good way.

3 hours ago, microdave said:

You are spot on. I've argued in the past that the one non Scottish Scotland manager not being very good shouldn't rule out another at some point and this is similar. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I needed it. If you can also help me get last week's ending out of my head too, that would be great. I can't help feeling that was a turning point in our season and not in a good way.

It may or may not be a turning point Dave, but it's a brave man who tries to win a golf major with only one club in the golf bag, that's all I'm saying.

100% agree with the others here. I mentioned during the match (and touched on it beforehand) that I feel like having only one style of play and not much else we are just waiting to be found out. I feel that's what happened last week with us conceding the late goal.

I hope that can be the nudge in the right direction for Faz to alternate the pack slightly. I don't expect mass changes but I think we would benefit from shuffling things a bit for sure. On paper (I know the game isn't played on paper), we now have a couple of options to actually try a different approach. Tomorrow is another big chance for us to put further pressure on Stirling with a victory.

Let's do exactly that, now! 😬

Edited by squeezebox-son

I expect an Annan win today tbh.  They hammered us to a 1-0 defeat at theirs when we rode our luck at times.

The defensive shape and structure are all good, but imo we need to play more assertively.  Much like we did in spells last week.

We have good strikers, just need to find a way to get them and the ball in front of goal together

37 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I expect an Annan win today tbh.  They hammered us to a 1-0 defeat at theirs when we rode our luck at times.

The defensive shape and structure are all good, but imo we need to play more assertively.  Much like we did in spells last week.

We have good strikers, just need to find a way to get them and the ball in front of goal together

Yeah, I have a bit of fear today if I'm being completely honest. I want to be confident but it is difficult (for whatever reason). I think big Tommy Goss could give us a real hard time in the form he's in and we aren't offering enough at the top end to counter if we lose a goal or two.

Hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

I did a week check on the top goalscorers of some League Two teams...

Tommy Goss, Annan = 19 

Dale Carrick, Stirling = 14

Matty Yates, Stenny = 11

Ben Armour, Forfar = 6

Declan Byrne, Sons = 5 

Make of that what you will.

Yip, Dec hasnt played for months and was playing with an injury before that.  Is Ally Love our 2nd top scorer now?  Has he scored our last 3 goals?

This is the issue with us this season. Any time someone had raised that we haven’t played well they have been shouted down. We have won a lot of games and that’s great but the actual football in most games has been poor. I genuinely can’t thing of a game where we blew a team away. (I missed Elgin away so maybe that was the game)

We go a goal up and sit back. I’m surprised more teams haven’t figured us out. We play the ball along the back, Bucky fires a long ball and we attack from there. Very predictable.