Airdrie v Clyde

Against a better team we’d have been losing at half time with the amount of times we gave the ball away at the back. Think we were good for the win, as Clyde were poor but would’ve preferred another goal to be more comfortable. As much as he’s a deplorable human being and most decent Clyde fans will be glad he isn’t at their club anymore, that could’ve been 3-1 Clyde with Goodwillie playing. Ref was awful.

Well that game definitely wasn't a classic or one for the history books.

We were very poor in the first half Duffy had them organised well and we allowed Clyde to win every 1st and second ball.

I felt McGregor made the difference when he came on, his pace and direct play was causing the clyde defence all sorts of problems.

Pleased grinding out a scrappy win as we aren't going to see performances like last week on a regular basis. 3rd in the league now and sets us up nicely for Dunfermline next week.

Edited by David Fernández

27 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Against a better team we’d have been losing at half time with the amount of times we gave the ball away at the back. Think we were good for the win, as Clyde were poor but would’ve preferred another goal to be more comfortable. As much as he’s a deplorable human being and most decent Clyde fans will be glad he isn’t at their club anymore, that could’ve been 3-1 Clyde with Goodwillie playing. Ref was awful.

Really missed Jordan Allan today, Poor mistake from Hynes but he is a right back dunno why Duffy is playing him in midfield but still had a couple of great chances in the first half we should have scored

That’s as careless as I’ve seen us for a while, the opposite to last week when everything worked until the finishing. I remember the 5-0 game being a bit like that too, Clyde not taking chances and then ultimately caving in. A better team would have been ahead well before we scored today. We won’t be as fortunate next week if we play the same way.

McGregor made an impact when he came on. He’s still very raw and his final ball and decision making is inconsistent. I didn’t think either of the penalty claims were penalties but both times he could have squared the ball across earlier. Still, he looks like an excellent option and gives something different to what we have elsewhere. 

Who would believe that we’d be above Edinburgh after watching the games between us so far?

I don't know if Clyde were just more willing to press us than Alloa last week but we seemed sluggish throughout the opening twenty minutes. As others have said we were really careless on too many occasions

Back to passing about in triangles but only rarely breaking through Clyde's tight organisation. Glad that we got a bit of pace in second half but Callum Smith needs to shoot 

Had Clyde taken the lead I'd have panicked but their forwards passed up a few openings.

A wee bit of cleverness might have convinced the Ref we had at least one penalty, but cut backs were on as well. 

A valuable three points but we need to be more active next week from the start. Good goal from Telfer, thank goodness.

Clyde are better than Peterhead but it's a long slog in front for them. 

Our finishing was abysmal today and that was the difference. Doherty (who I think was nudged) and McGeever both missed headers, Salkeld took too long and hit the post, then late efforts from Cunningham, Doherty and McDonald. 

Good performances from a few; Sula, Cuddihy, Roberts. McGeever decent enough. Salkeld in flashes. I thought Rennie was rubbish today. Subs don't change the flow of the game at all.

Hynes probably better on the ball in midfield than expected but that was an awful touch.

Lyon surviving 90 minutes at left back is a mystery. Rotten.

Airdrie have got their last 6 points against us without really doing much. Could have made the game safe earlier but the roadrunner didn't know he could release the ball.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

McGregor made an impact when he came on. He’s still very raw and his final ball and decision making is inconsistent.

Yeh, he's a young guy with genuine pace which always hurts the opposition but his deficiencies you point out are probably why Morton let him go. Needs to work hard and he will have a decent future and definitely adds to our options.

After the first 45 minutes I thought we were in with a real chance of getting a much needed win, but the second half was as bad as the first one was decent.

We really need to stop gifting teams goals, it's one of the reasons we can't play a defensive shape/style.  We sit off teams far too much then wonder why we are conceding soft goals all the time.

Thought Salkeld and Roberts in midfield did a really good job, it was inevitable Salkeld was going to tire, same with McGeever, given neither has played a lot of football.  Can't say I agree on Sula though, thought he made too many daft errors, his distribution wasn't great and for a big guy he gets caught out too often aerially for me (in defensive positions, he's a threat for set pieces up front mind).  The drop off in form of Barry Cuddihy as well last few games has been fairly alarming.

As much as it's been inevitable for some time, clearly we need to start preparing for the play-offs (don't think Peterhead will overtake us, although I hope that's not jinxing things).  With that in mind, we need to string any sort of form together to build up the confidence, because if we were to head into the play-offs right now, I would fear the worse.

BTW, really unimpressed with Airdrie today.  If they make the play-offs I wouldn't offer much hope for them based on what they showed today.

7 minutes ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

BTW, really unimpressed with Airdrie today.  If they make the play-offs I wouldn't offer much hope for them based on what they showed today.

Last week we were excellent it was like night and day the performance. Story of our season.

I do agree with you about the play offs, we are the biggest bottle merchants and never won one.

After last week's performance we were rightly pleased with the way things are going. Today however was a great wake up call before the Dunfermline game that sometimes the games and referees won't go our way. I hope the team takes this into next week and realise that a result is going to be hard won and several players will have to up their game. I include callum Smith in this category as he needs to show more of what he is capable of, especially against his old club next week.

Glad to get a win today as the Clyde team were well organised, but in reality, how many saves did our keeper make during the game?

Other sides this season will find Clyde  just as difficult as we did today so I wouldn't be too downhearted about today's performance.

40 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

After last week's performance we were rightly pleased with the way things are going. Today however was a great wake up call before the Dunfermline game that sometimes the games and referees won't go our way. I hope the team takes this into next week and realise that a result is going to be hard won and several players will have to up their game. I include callum Smith in this category as he needs to show more of what he is capable of, especially against his old club next week.

Glad to get a win today as the Clyde team were well organised, but in reality, how many saves did our keeper make during the game?

Other sides this season will find Clyde  just as difficult as we did today so I wouldn't be too downhearted about today's performance.

The game was a massive wake up call,  all the immature pre match rumblings of big scores was never on the cards, to be honest we stole the 3 points today,  Clyde should have had at least a point today,  although Clyde strikers and subs were very poor,   a good wake up call for ourselves, Smith who is integral in our team was very poor and unusually uninterested looking today,  McGill who I think is the weak link actually played well first half and wa s u n lucky to be subbed that early,  McGregor did give us a spark though...

A wins a win for au that,    Dunfermline next week should be a cracker...

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Last week we were excellent it was like night and day the performance. Story of our season.

I do agree with you about the play offs, we are the biggest bottle merchants and never won one.

At this moment I'd take something similar to your first sentence.  We currently can't even go 45 minutes without being completely Jekyll and Hyde!

You've got some decent players, but sometimes the end product seemed a bit lacking, your boy on the right hand side had some blistering pace but didn't know what to do with it at times.

2 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

You saw us at our inconsistent worst. Last week we would have beaten anyone in the league. Consistency has been an issue for us all season. 

What should worry you is your teams inability to take advantage. Even when you did get a chance Josh Rae wasn't troubled, dreadful finishing. 

I'd take 1-0 every week and not playing well. We have dominated games before and drawn or lost. 

Stories of a lucky day at the office for Airdrie are much sensationalised. We were scrappy, but didn’t need to be up to much to beat Clyde today who are most definitely a dirty Duffy team, and the ref let them get on with it.

If Telfer has placed his cutbacks a bit better we’d have been 2-0 up at half time & we had certainly one, arguably two stone wall penalty shouts knocked back.

It is what it is. Three points and up to third but with what could be a season defining run of games coming up. We really need to take points off Dunfermline in both legs and ideally the usual three points off Falkirk would be grand.

EDIT: Having seen both penalty claims from a different angle, ref was correct with both calls. McGregor lucky to stay on the pitch… another ref books him twice for diving.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train