Heart of Midlothian v Dundee United

11 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Absolute bollocks. Goalies jump for the ball with their knees up all the time. Fletcher was nowhere near the ball himself. 

I'm interested by this belief, shared by most referees around the world, that these type of challenges are somehow no longer dangerous when goalkeepers make them.

59 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

If it is a red card for Ryan Edwards, then I give up. In this day and age its probably not an unreasonable decision, sadly. 

It's 100% a red card. If he wants to win the ball cleanly he absolutely can, instead he goes with the sole of his foot so he can leave a bit on Halliday. It's stupidity.

I’m guessing there’s a lot of people on this thread who have never played football, when you go into a solid challenge like that it’s physically impossible to keep your foot 100% flat on the ground, if Edwards really wanted to do Halliday he wouldn’t have cared about winning the ball and just hit him at knee height, even Neilson has said it’s not a red ffs. 

Edit to add I was surprised to hear the Sportscene guests say it was a red given it’s usually ex players but less surprised when I heard it was Foster (*** c**t who despises Utd) and McCann (ex Dee and jambo). 

Edited by skinny arab

7 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

I’m guessing there’s a lot of people on this thread who have never played football, when you go into a solid challenge like that it’s physically impossible to keep your foot 100% flat on the ground, if Edwards really wanted to do Halliday he wouldn’t have cared about winning the ball and just hit him at knee height, even Neilson has said it’s not a red ffs. 

Edit to add I was surprised to hear the Sportscene guests say it was a red given it’s usually ex players but less surprised when I heard it was Foster (*** c**t who despises Utd) and McCann (ex Dee and jambo). 

Foster isn’t worth listening to when talking about United.  He is a seething mess every time our club is mentioned, a Utd fan must have pumped his missus

I can see why it was given if the issue was excessive force, but I don't agree with everyone (including the Sportscene pundits) saying he went in to hurt him. Also not sure why folk are saying he went with the sole of his foot as it looks like a sidefooted tackle to me.

Slo-mo always makes these things look worse but at full speed Halliday's foot only gets in front of Edwards' challenge a nanosecond earlier. People talk about the follow-through, but you can't make your foot disappear after kicking a ball.

Not often you get the opposition manager saying it wasn't a red but Neilson is saying he'd be very disappointed if one of his players got sent off for that and he doesn't think it's a red.

Was raging at the time but always going to be a red these days. Halliday’s histrionics didn’t help either. Archetypal Cream Bun, that laddie.

Not entirely sure what to make of that. Was actually one of our best performances of the season in the first half, even after going to ten men we still looked the more dangerous side. Shat the bed as soon as they equalised though which seems fairly typical of this lot. Would keep Niskanen in that wing back role. Defensively he’s not brilliant but offers so much more than Freeman (of late) going forward.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'm interested by this belief, shared by most referees around the world, that these type of challenges are somehow no longer dangerous when goalkeepers make them.

This was done to death at the time, but Gordon had his knees close to his body, feet tucked in, side-on to the United player and was slowing down. With both players coming in at speed, you're usually better off being in the air and being sent flying rather than having your feet planted. If he'd done an Allan McGregor-style jump sticking his knees in or taking a sly kick it'd be different and keepers do seem to get away with that.

As for Edwards, if you're tackling in such a way that you're cleanly planting your studs in someone's ankle then there's potential for a serious injury and it'll almost always be a red card. It's a pretty consistent standard that we've also fallen foul of this season.

You just ken folk were waiting to shoot their load yesterday if we got beat/failed to win, btw. Hibs/Aberdeen/St Murn bois will have been spewing because of those shree late goals. Highly pleasing.