Saints v Celtic, Sunday 05/02/23 High Noon

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I go home and away M8,PC means Petty Crap if a woman ran the line she still gets called a Linesmen.

What the actual...gender issue? Unbelievable. I used to be unsure if you were a first class troll or just thick but the doubt went a while ago. 

Throw ins haven't been taken from the right spot for years. About 10 yards away is now the minimum. If assistant refs actually do anything it's to tell them to go back 2 of the 13 yards yards taken and they're happy with that. There was one game earlier in the season where the ball went out on one side of the halfway line and the throw in was taken a few yards into the other half with the nearby assistant doing sod all. If you go to every game and don't see this you need to start wearing your balaclava the right way round.

5 hours ago, lennyzer0 said:

Talking to an SPFL ref of my acquaintance about this, and he says that - and he admitted that it's more than a bit counter-intuitive and may change in future - currently the attacking phase being referred to here does not include the actual event itself which restarts it (i.e. a corner kick/ throw in / free-kick) and that is not therefore part of the attacking phase so far as VAR is concerned. So, while a throw in starts off an attacking phase, it is not itself part of that attacking phase.

Which even by VAR standards is a mental position.

“It will not review the decision to award a corner instead of a goal-kick, even if the corner produces a goal.

This is because the VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that led to the goal, and the starting point is limited to the immediate phase, in this instance the corner being taken.”

Taken directly from VAR decisions explained from the Premier League website.

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I disagree, Linesmen always make sure the ball is in the correct  position before a corner is taking plus they always stand in the way at throw-ins so players don't steal a yard or two,
If this was true there would be no need for them to be there with Var drawing lines for off-side.

Well wee willie, if you check out the lead up to Celtic’s first goal yesterday, the ball goes out for a throw in around 2 yards to the right of the microphone at the side of the pitch. The throw in is eventually thrown from around 12/15 yards to the left of said microphone.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Well wee willie, if you check out the lead up to Celtic’s first goal yesterday, the ball goes out for a throw in around 2 yards to the right of the microphone at the side of the pitch. The throw in is eventually thrown from around 12/15 yards to the left of said microphone.

David you're grasping at straws M8,your first point was about VAR going back to the start of possession now you've dropped that,then I get a dafty pulling me up about using the word Linesmen.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

David you're grasping at straws M8,your first point was about VAR going back to the start of possession now you've dropped that,then I get a dafty pulling me up about using the word Linesmen.

Well wee willie, the illegally taken thrown in is the start of possession leading directly to the first goal.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Well wee willie, the illegally taken thrown in is the start of possession leading directly to the first goal.

The Linesman and the ref allow the play to restart if they're not happy with the position of the throw-in they can stop the play feck all to do with VAR David.

17 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I take it you mean me. Despite me pointing out pulling you up was about your throw in knowledge being grossly out of date and sod all to do with the linemen issue you made up in your own mind you still come out with it. Unreal. At least it should be but it's you. You really do live on another planet, thank goodness.

3 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

I take it you mean me. Despite me pointing out pulling you up was about your throw in knowledge being grossly out of date and sod all to do with the linemen issue you made up in your own mind you still come out with it. Unreal. At least it should be but it's you. You really do live on another planet, thank goodness.

Educate me on throw-in Knowledge dafty diddy?

20 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The stats suggested he never had an assist - though I'm sure there were several where he'd basically created an attack from nowhere and put a decent ball into the box that then resulted in a goal, just not directly from the cross. He was good the first time round and is hitting his stride again now.

He definitely had an assist v Livi in the last game before the Covid shut down.  Put in a peach of a cross for Hendry to score the only goal. 

14 minutes ago, The Marly said:

He definitely had an assist v Livi in the last game before the Covid shut down.  Put in a peach of a cross for Hendry to score the only goal. 

Transfermarkt has him with 3 assists and 1 goal in the league in his previous spell. 

This season is 5 goals and 0 assists.

27 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The Linesman and the ref allow the play to restart if they're not happy with the position of the throw-in they can stop the play feck all to do with VAR David.

The ref and linesman allowed play to continue with a foul in the St Mirren v Dundee United match in the early VAR days in Scotland which lead to a goal, but the VAR looked back at the build up to the goal and decided that the ref and linesman had made an error and disallowed the goal, wee willie.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The ref and linesman allowed play to continue with a foul in the St Mirren v Dundee United match in the early VAR days in Scotland which lead to a goal, but the VAR looked back at the build up to the goal and decided that the ref and linesman had made an error and disallowed the goal, wee willie.

I remember that David very poor decision for me,nothing to do with a throw-in or a corner it was to do with a coming together of players near the half-white line M8.

38 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I remember that David very poor decision for me,nothing to do with a throw-in or a corner it was to do with a coming together of players near the half-white line M8.

A missed illegal throw in wee willie, leading to a goal when no player from the opposition touches the ball, has everything to do with the lead up to a goal, just as much as a missed foul.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

A missed illegal throw in wee willie, leading to a goal when no player from the opposition touches the ball, has everything to do with the lead up to a goal, just as much as a missed foul.

VAR will not intervene in those scenarios

What about a restart, like a corner or goal kick?
It's against VAR protocol for any standard restart to be reviewed (the exception is a penalty kick). Decisions on such incidents can only be made by the on-pitch referee. So, on a goal kick the VAR cannot rule on encroachment by an attacking player, nor can it rule on the ball being within the quadrant on a corner

Also from the same Premier League site you referred to where a referee explains why

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1833524

Edited by Jinky67

34 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

VAR will not intervene in those scenarios

What about a restart, like a corner or goal kick?
It's against VAR protocol for any standard restart to be reviewed (the exception is a penalty kick). Decisions on such incidents can only be made by the on-pitch referee. So, on a goal kick the VAR cannot rule on encroachment by an attacking player, nor can it rule on the ball being within the quadrant on a corner

Also from the same Premier League site you referred to where a referee explains why

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1833524

Yet, the same website says that the taking of a corner kick can be looked at. One of these pieces of information is right and one is wrong.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Yet, the same website says that the taking of a corner kick can be looked at. One of these pieces of information is right and one is wrong.

The one you quoted was wrong so here is a 3rd source directly from IFAB themselves. Pay particular attention to the part that says open play, a throw in is a dead ball situation so once restarted cannot be reviewed, the review starts from the point the player receives a ball from a throw in. Don’t worry Joey, I’ll keep you right 👍

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/video-assistant-referee-var-protocol/#procedures

• For decisions/incidents relating to goals, penalty/no penalty and red cards for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity (DOGSO), it may be necessary to review the attacking phase of play which led directly to the decision/incident; this may include how the attacking team gained possession of the ball in open play

• The Laws of the Game do not allow restart decisions (corner kicks, throw-ins etc.) to be changed once play has restarted, so they cannot be reviewed

Edited by Jinky67

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

The lengths you have went to here has been impressive David, pedantic but lacked common sense.