Saints v Celtic, Sunday 05/02/23 High Noon

Did anyone else think that Davidson seemed to keep changing the formation in the first half? We looked like we started off with 4 at the back, which meant we were able to put pressure on Celtic further up the park. He then seemed to tuck Brown into the middle and drop Wright back a couple of minutes before Celtic scored their first, which pretty much conceded the middle of the park to Celtic. We seemed to have Brown and Considine standing around static, marking nobody for large spells, with our midfield and full backs getting totally overrun by runners from deep. 

He seemed to try to change to 4 at the back again just moments before Celtic's 2nd goal, which may have led to some of the confusion, with players on the left not fully aware of the change? Then we scored, with Brown winning the ball back and Wright scoring, as they were both further up the park, following which Davidson switched back to 5 at the back and conceded the middle of the park and territory to Celtic. 

We looked so much better during the short spells we played with 4 at the back.

11 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Pause at 25 seconds exactly he is considerably onside when Jota plays the pass

I've no skin in this game but he was well off.

Edit - I've fucked it, he was onside ! 

Edited by hk blues

20 hours ago, kingjoey said:

“VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that lead to the goal, and the starting point is limited to the immediate phase, for instance a corner being taken.” So that means that, for instance, a corner being taken with the ball outside of the quadrant or throw in being taken from the wrong spot should mean the goal being disallowed.

Talking to an SPFL ref of my acquaintance about this, and he says that - and he admitted that it's more than a bit counter-intuitive and may change in future - currently the attacking phase being referred to here does not include the actual event itself which restarts it (i.e. a corner kick/ throw in / free-kick) and that is not therefore part of the attacking phase so far as VAR is concerned. So, while a throw in starts off an attacking phase, it is not itself part of that attacking phase.

Which even by VAR standards is a mental position.

Edited by lennyzer0

1 hour ago, Nelly78 said:

Did anyone else think that Davidson seemed to keep changing the formation in the first half? We looked like we started off with 4 at the back, which meant we were able to put pressure on Celtic further up the park. He then seemed to tuck Brown into the middle and drop Wright back a couple of minutes before Celtic scored their first, which pretty much conceded the middle of the park to Celtic. We seemed to have Brown and Considine standing around static, marking nobody for large spells, with our midfield and full backs getting totally overrun by runners from deep. 

He seemed to try to change to 4 at the back again just moments before Celtic's 2nd goal, which may have led to some of the confusion, with players on the left not fully aware of the change? Then we scored, with Brown winning the ball back and Wright scoring, as they were both further up the park, following which Davidson switched back to 5 at the back and conceded the middle of the park and territory to Celtic. 

We looked so much better during the short spells we played with 4 at the back.

Id like to rewatch but i think it fluctuated depending on how Celtic attacked us. Youd often see Brown come inside and Wright drop to make a back 5, with Carey coming out to defend against Taylor. We didnt seem hugely bothered about their CBs having the ball, which is a good sign as it means Davidson identified that as their weakness on the ball. Im sure Jota switched sides once they cottoned on to what we were doing.

I liked the idea behind it but think it struggled at points, but Celtic are Celtic.

6 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Which even by VAR standards is a mental position.

I disagree, Linesmen always make sure the ball is in the correct  position before a corner is taking plus they always stand in the way at throw-ins so players don't steal a yard or two,
If this was true there would be no need for them to be there with Var drawing lines for off-side.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I disagree, Linesmen always make sure the ball is in the correct  position before a corner is taking plus they always stand in the way at throw-ins so players don't steal a yard or two,

True, I had forgotten that. Beacons of probity and efficiency, linesmen.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It duz bring up the question to how many frames can you get when the ball is played for the very tight calls.

As I said, I hold my hand up that after watching it a few times I was sure he was off until I caught it just right and could see he was well on.  

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id like to rewatch but i think it fluctuated depending on how Celtic attacked us. Youd often see Brown come inside and Wright drop to make a back 5, with Carey coming out to defend against Taylor. We didnt seem hugely bothered about their CBs having the ball, which is a good sign as it means Davidson identified that as their weakness on the ball. Im sure Jota switched sides once they cottoned on to what we were doing.

I liked the idea behind it but think it struggled at points, but Celtic are Celtic.

Good managers will try different things to stop Celtic it's not unusual to just let the two CB's have the ball, playing teams 4 or 5 times a season gives that opportunity.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If this was true there would be no need for them to be there with Var drawing lines for off-side.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The hint of sarcasm duznae change the facts M8, how many times do you see linesmen telling players or pointing to correct their position it's very common. 

^^^
Last went to a game in the 70s.