Saints v Celtic, Sunday 05/02/23 High Noon

4 hours ago, The Marly said:

I'm really not surprised by Drey Wright.  He was excellent for us in his first spell, particularly before his injury.  The negative revisionism of his time here is incredible, especially when you see Saints fans on Twitter describing Gwion Edwards as an "excellent" signing for Ross County.  I don't recall Edwards doing anything of note in his (very short) time here - and it was nine years ago!  Admittedly Wright seems to have added an end product now, but I always enjoyed watching him play.

Always felt he was good in the first spell at Saints despite his lack of end product (was it 1 deflected goal v Hamilton and 0 assists?) Felt he had a great understanding with Foster on the right side of the pitch. Can get the team right up the pitch when he just runs it out of defence. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

1 hour ago, derektaylor84 said:

Always felt he was good in the first spell at Saints despite his lack of end product (was it 1 deflected goal v Hamilton and 0 assists?) Felt he had a great understanding with Foster on the right side of the pitch. Can get the team right up the pitch when he just runs it out of defence. 

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

The stats suggested he never had an assist - though I'm sure there were several where he'd basically created an attack from nowhere and put a decent ball into the box that then resulted in a goal, just not directly from the cross. He was good the first time round and is hitting his stride again now.

dre.thumb.png.4d6d3c0fe13ff1209b769b48852245e5.png

Interesting with Wright that hes hit similar levels with us as he had before as wing back, so I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise how its turned out?

Arguably better defensively, and unarguably better in terms of scoring. Very close to being one of the best, non OF, wing backs in the league? As stupid as that probably sounds.

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

“VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that lead to the goal, and the starting point is limited to the immediate phase, for instance a corner being taken.” So that means that, for instance, a corner being taken with the ball outside of the quadrant or throw in being taken from the wrong spot should mean the goal being disallowed.

You've just made that up David.

8 defeats in 9 now which is obviously awful on paper but we’ve found a real balance in the last couple of weeks and, weirdly, feel more optimistic about our prospects now than I have done since just after the cup double.  

Hopefully we can get ourselves safe soon and we can start phasing out the loan players who won’t be with us next year in favour of players who will and/or players who are playing for their futures. Think top 6 is pie in the sky for us but we’ve got a decent core signed up until 2024 so I’d like to see us prioritise that over the coming months. If we’re in a position to do so obviously.