Saints v Celtic, Sunday 05/02/23 High Noon

Just over a year ago we played Celtic at home in that ridiculous game where there only about 400 fans allowed in. I think we lost 2-1. That day we were a disgrace, just absolutely abject and scored from nowhere on one of our very few forays forward.

We may have lost more heavily today but I was pleased with our approach and on another day the scoreline is far closer. At the end of the day Celtic have scored four goals from four shots on target. We probably put the ball into the Celtic box far more than we have in any game in the last five years.

I would observe that today did highlight the issue of a Celtic loanee being a main fixture in your defence - in that we had to bring in a guy who has barely played all season at left back up against Jota, and its maybe unsurprising we lose a couple of goals down that side. That said, the way he spins in behind is so difficult to deal with.

Felt we tried to get the ball down and play pretty well, and once again Dan Phillips was excellent. Rarely wasted the ball, strong and composed. We need to be talking new contract for him if we at all can and looking to build round him for next season.

Thought Brown looked decent in a position that definitely suits him, with good performances from Wright and McLennan as well.

That's our pre-split games against the Old Firm gone now - we need to produce at a good level for the next half dozen games and we can get ourselves right out of any talk of relegation.

16 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I'm really not surprised by Drey Wright.  He was excellent for us in his first spell, particularly before his injury.  The negative revisionism of his time here is incredible, especially when you see Saints fans on Twitter describing Gwion Edwards as an "excellent" signing for Ross County.  I don't recall Edwards doing anything of note in his (very short) time here - and it was nine years ago!  Admittedly Wright seems to have added an end product now, but I always enjoyed watching him play.

Yes same, thought he was probably our best player along with Kennedy. 

25 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Aberdeen fans all over this as usual. 

Aberdeen 😂

Par for the course these days for some reason the dandies on here seem incapable of letting a Celtic match thread pass them buy. They should have more pressing worries considering the utter banter coming from their club just now but nope 😂

28 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Aberdeen fans all over this as usual. 

Aberdeen 😂

Pots and kettles?

48 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

“VAR will only check the attacking possession phase that lead to the goal, and the starting point is limited to the immediate phase, for instance a corner being taken.” So that means that, for instance, a corner being taken with the ball outside of the quadrant or throw in being taken from the wrong spot should mean the goal being disallowed.

Cheers Joey, genuinely never knew that.

18 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Par for the course these days for some reason the dandies on here seem incapable of letting a Celtic match thread pass them buy. They should have more pressing worries considering the utter banter coming from their club just now but nope 😂

Some of us have a general interest in Scottish football as well as our own team, some of us are fixated on one team.

A forgettable game, but thats not always a bad thing against Celtic.

Liked the bravery to try and commit players forward and enjoying the manager taking the shackles off (slowly). Phillips/MacPherson remain key to that though, i feel.

May struggled but he always does as a lone striker, think we'd have posed more of a threat with Clark up there but robbed of that due to injury. Considine just had a bad day.

Weirdest part of the whole day is the, currently ongoing, meltdown from fans of Rangers/Celtic about our players playing rock paper scissors before a free kick.

A weird kind of game.

We didn't play badly, actually much better than recent times against this bunch, at least we had a go.

celtic are simply miles ahead of anybody else in the league. Every time they attacked they looked dangerous.

Thought Considine looked his age today. Does well against most teams but up against this kind of speed and intensity, he can't cope now.

Brown had a good game for me, as did Phillips and MacPherson. Cammy does need to work on his set piece delivery though.

May struggled on his own up front, as he always does without a striking partner. Bad luck losing Clark to injury.

I was desperate for changes to be made from about ten minutes into the second half when it was obvious things needed freshened up.

The last goal was annoying. 3-1 was probably fair but it wasn't a 4-1. Can't argue with the red.

Anyway, that's that done. A quick break then a run of really important games.

Get a bit of momentum going and could maybe even sneak a top six place.

Nothing I'd disagree with in what other Saints fans have said.

You've seen these games before where you don't let them in behind whilst the game is a contest but they rack up the efforts on goal and you are just waiting for the dam to burst. It's a miserable watch.

Without the suicidal approach of Xmas Eve, we tried to match them a bit further up the pitch today and it worked pretty well. You'd usually expect to get away with it if they only get in behind three or four times in the first half but they obviously timed the runs well, the passes were precise and the finishes for the second and third good.

Furihashi plays like no other striker in Scotland. I noticed it in December when you have the sight line from the away end but today as well, he's happy to loiter behind the centre backs then come alive when the ball is played behind for the wider attackers. Must be very hard to defend against.

Three of our last four games have been against the Old Firm, off the back of three rotten showings against United, Aberdeen and Livingston, and to produce the performances we have is very encouraging.

I just hope we can pick up points over the next month to get ourselves a bit of breathing space, then the manager can just let this team express themselves, as the result might actually be quite enjoyable.

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You make one post on a match thread about the game and the Celtic lads are getting very uppity. My apologies. 

Did you watch the game? Or just like every other Celtic match thread just come on to bleat about something?