Saints v Celtic, Sunday 05/02/23 High Noon

Not everyone’s most eagerly anticipated fixture, but it has to be done.

The previous match at McDiarmid should have been a draw, but Drey Wright pulled up with a sore ankle and Celtic exploited the space to score in the 94th minute. We did okay and grew into the game, so hopefully we can keep it tight early on.

Having beaten rangers already this season, an opportunity for Saints to do the scumdouble, though it’s a big ask as Celtic are on a great run. Probably.  

Last time we beat both in a season was 2015-16 , knocking Rangers out of the league cup at ibrox and beating Celtic 2-1 at McDiarmid in the league.

Anyone any idea when we last did the league scumdouble, I think it might be pre-2000 but can’t remember??

59 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Not everyone’s most eagerly anticipated fixture, but it has to be done.

The previous match at McDiarmid should have been a draw, but Drey Wright pulled up with a sore ankle and Celtic exploited the space to score in the 94th minute. We did okay and grew into the game, so hopefully we can keep it tight early on.

Having beaten rangers already this season, an opportunity for Saints to do the scumdouble, though it’s a big ask as Celtic are on a great run. Probably.  

Last time we beat both in a season was 2015-16 , knocking Rangers out of the league cup at ibrox and beating Celtic 2-1 at McDiarmid in the league.

Anyone any idea when we last did the league scumdouble, I think it might be pre-2000 but can’t remember??

Scumdouble . Cracking word . 5-0 to green half of Scumdouble 

59 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Likely the only home league match I won’t make this season as I’m getting married the day before. 

So put Saints down for a 2-1 win. 

Huge congrats to you and the future wife and I predict a weekend of you being ridden, hopefully the first softens the blow of the second.

Again congrats 🙏

9 hours ago, mizfit said:

Likely the only home league match I won’t make this season as I’m getting married the day before. 

Slippery slope if you don't go IMHO. Congrats.

And I'll never miss an opportunity to talk about 1998/99. Beat Celtic three times and Rangers once, having also done the scumdouble the season before as well.

Win through at Celtic Park was midweek in September with a tiny support. Was during the spell that boy with the bagpipes was turning up to every away game. Mind him?

Memory could be failing me a bit but I think we were shoved in that wee square section right behind the pillar, just to the upper left of where we sit now.

Two home wins were less of a surprise. Apart from 1992/93 - when we drew twice - we'd beaten them at McDiarmid in every season up to that point.

The Rangers one was far bigger as we hadn't come out on top against them since the early seventies. Can still remember the Peter Martin commentary off Scotsport on the Sunday night for the third goal...

"Kanchelskis against Simao, and on the overlap, this is a chance for St Johnstone to seal the victory..."

What a team. Would absolutely murder this current bunch.

Anyway, 3-0 Saints. But not sure about the second half.

And congrats. @mizfit

Wouldve liked to try the back 4 again but not sure we have the players to do it?

Montgomery/McGowan/Booth out means we just have Gallacher/Brown. Is he going to chuck Gallacher into this game with how little hes played this season?

Sensible head says no, but would it be shock if he does, Gallacher struggles, and that's him written off for good?

Same 11 as v Motherwell seems the sensible shout. Shame we ran most into the ground as he was scared to make subs incase we lost our two goal lead...

Thanks for the messages guys. Following negotiations with the soon to be mother in law and Best man I have agreed to stay at home and sneakily watch it whilst she packs for the honeymoon. 

formation talk now, after seeing how we played on Wednesday I’m yet to decide if we keep with that or the 4-4-2. I don’t like viewing the old firm as a free hit but even 1 point at this stage makes a difference, especially when United & Killie have likely weakened themselves. 

4 hours ago, Radford said:

And I'll never miss an opportunity to talk about 1998/99. Beat Celtic three times and Rangers once, having also done the scumdouble the season before as well. 

Was that the last time we did it in the league?

That was a brilliant night, think it was the first time I’d ever seen us beat them as I missed the 2-0 a year or two earlier. 

The thing you notice there is how much we took the game to them, it wasn’t just sitting in and defending.  

23 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Was that the last time we did it in the league?

That was a brilliant night, think it was the first time I’d ever seen us beat them as I missed the 2-0 a year or two earlier. 

The thing you notice there is how much we took the game to them, it wasn’t just sitting in and defending.  

Beating a team full a EBT's plus Sandy Clark is still a fanny.