Queens Park 🕷️ v Ayr United ⚫️⚪️

Delighted with that performance, particularly the 2nd half where I felt we really stepped it up and thoroughly deserved the win. Defence were tremendous and it was a very promising debut from Oakley. 

As usual, opposition fans are singling out Mal Boateng’s performance. The guy is an absolute Rolls Royce and Is one of the most comfortable on the ball players I’ve ever seen at QP. 

Also stunned that some people don’t think it was a penalty. Even Bullen said he didn’t have any complaints about it. Stonewaller. 

Deserved that win. By far the better team on the night. Ayr finished the first half well and I thought they were going to give us more problems in the second. Not sure what Coyle said to the team at half time but the Spiders seemed to up the defensive game and although Ayr had a couple of chances the back line stood up well.

Definite penalty - McPake had his ankle trod on and the ref was perfectly placed to se it. Mullen thought it was a penalty too. Taken well by Dom but the keeper chose the right side and on another day might have saved it. Unfortunate for McAllister for the second goal but if he didn't play the ball he had a player at his back who would have had a tap in.

Good to collect the three points after the (expected) decision regarding the cup game.

23 minutes ago, QPFC67 said:

Kilday's been the best CB in the league this season. Not even a debate.

Took a couple of months to get into his stride this season but I’m totally gobsmacked at the level of improvement. His reading of the game, composure on the ball and weirdly enough the extra yard of pace he’s gained at 31 is incredible. He’s had fitness problems for several years and this seems to be the first season in a long time he’s been injury free and it’s showing now what a capable player he is. Fair play to him, 100% would offer another deal to him next season. He deserves it 

Based on performances this season, he’s definitely right up there for the top centre backs. 

Edited by qpfc

8 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Ye canae win them all.

This goes double if your entire strategy is artillery.

Two games of playing it on the deck: convincing wins. Then straight back to long ball: never in it, pish defeat. This doesn't seem like a difficult equation and yet they're still at it. Why?

To my fellow Ayr fans. Stop blaming the DKB ref for that defeat. It was a penalty. We were rank rotten all night, defended piss poorly at both goals and could have conceded more. We were very flat and the midfield contributed nada all night, hardly a surprise when plan A was shell it to Akinyemi early and plan B was ....??? 

Apart from the two Cove games we've been playing like this for months. I said on deadline day we still needed another defender and last night just underlined that. If we defend properly we don't lose that game. Our own fault, not the DKB ref.

Had a right good chuckle reading back through this thread.

Ayr freaks too busy blaming the ref, as if they've ever been relevant enough to have some kind of bias against them, to realise they were honking last night, and QP were excellent. How anyone can argue that's not a penalty is beyond me, McPake absolutely knows what he's doing but you cannot just charge through the back of someone in the box. That kit as well btw 🤢

Superb debuts from Shields and Oakley. Really looking forward to see how they contribute between now and the end of the season.

Maybe the future is bright after all.

Edited by Dave

Thought Oakley was excellent last night, both in defence and attack. He's obviously a class act. Although overall Queen's were the better team, Ayr still had their chances and the result could have turned out differently. A much needed morale booster after the off the field antics.

4 hours ago, Thumper said:

This goes double if your entire strategy is artillery.

Two games of playing it on the deck: convincing wins. Then straight back to long ball: never in it, pish defeat. This doesn't seem like a difficult equation and yet they're still at it. Why?

This has been the case for at least twenty years so no reason to expect it to change now.

After the knocks of the last week, this has to be the most important result so far. A defeat and we  could have tailspinned. But we didn't. Great performance and another clean sheet.  Defence again really earning their wages.

Boeteng's jersey won't need to be washed. He strolled through that and didn't break sweat; what a performance.

A decent game for the telly played at some pace.  Deserved win for the mighty QP and it all remains a bit mental as we stay top. Feckin scary.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

When fans think their team is pish, it’s usually because your opponent makes you look pish. This was more than just 3 points last night. For the guys to lift themselves like that after what the club did to them gives me great hope that we can actually go on and win this league. I found out last night that the players actually were told about the “error” before they left Inverness. Some journey home that must have been. 

Once again, no failures. The two at the back are just having their best lives at the moment and everyone else gathers energy from that. Boateng is a dream. Excellent introductions from both Shields and Oakley. In every position though we were better than our opponent, more determined.

Our fixtures until the end of March are mostly at home and against the lower half of the league. We’ve decent cover in every position. We’ve come through a really tough January and despite everything the board has thrown at us, the team are still flying and the fans still solid. We’ll take some shifting.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

11 hours ago, QPFC67 said:

Really hard to argue against him

Of course it isn’t. He was good last night but he was also a big part of your collapse against us at the start of the season and was rotten in the 5-0 game. Alex Kirk hasn’t put a foot wrong this season and I’d rather have Musonda than Kilday. 

It helps him that he’s got Charlie Fox next to him. Much the same that it helps McGinty that he has Kirk. 

Defence was good last night but we've still let 30 past us this season.  Looking at the league table and note that more than half of the goals against have come from the two teams immediately below us, Ayr and Dundee.  We've shipped 8 against each of them in the six games so far. Hopefully, we've stopped that trend after the great performance last night but no time for complacency - I'll just enjoy the moment while I can.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Of course it isn’t. He was good last night but he was also a big part of your collapse against us at the start of the season and was rotten in the 5-0 game. Alex Kirk hasn’t put a foot wrong this season and I’d rather have Musonda than Kilday. 

It helps him that he’s got Charlie Fox next to him. Much the same that it helps McGinty that he has Kirk. 

I'd prefer Kilday personally, but I also wouldn't say there's no debate. There are quite a few good defenders in this division.

In his defence though, he was taken off while we were still winning in the 3-2 game and played alongside Stephen Eze and Jason Naismith down there when we got pumped. They were the real liabilities that day.