Heart of Midlothian v Heart of Darkness

21 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

According to him it was the same formation we've played all season and the players need to be better.

Genuinely feels like he's gaslighting the fans by telling them what they are seeing isn't what's actually happening.

I never watched the game but maybe Neilson told the players to play in the same formation but when they took to the pitch they decided to do their own thing. 

12 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

f**k me, Hearts twitter is full of halfwits - people genuinely calling for Neilson's head on the back of a 3 going on 10 pumping from Rangers. Like we haven't been similarly pumped many times by both sides of the Old Firm before.

Yeah, the formation and team selection was terrible and everyone bar an infant could have told him that before kick off. He then compounded matters by refusing to change formation as soon as the first goal went in, and kept some players on the pitch who were, to be kind, playing fucking dreadful. We were shite everywhere except for in goals, and I'd have more respect for Neilson if he'd admit it, but that's the guy he is, and it's a bit late to be worrying about that now (and in his defence, it's not like he came out with shite about how it was all down to his tactical masterplan when we were putting 3 past Hibs twice in a fortnight).

But too many individual players made too many horrendous mistakes on top of those problems (some of the passing about in defence was criminal). It's a game that we routinely lose, against players who are much better than us (Rangers literally spent more on Tuesday on players than Hearts have spent in their entire history combined). Splitting the OF has always been either a (very, very) long term project or a bit of pantomime exaggeration by Joe Savage, and some online Jambo fantasists really need to remember that.

Time to dust ourselves down, Neilson to remember he's not Pep Guardiola, and move onto Saturday and Dundee Utd.

I'm by no means calling for his head, but it is incredibly frustrating that games against Celtic and Rangers, Rangers in particular are like Groundhog Day. Give it the big one before the game, then completely change the tactics we've been using and openly not trust players before capitulating.

There's no way Kio or Grant aren't a better and more logical option than Kuol in the middle, or that Atkinson isn't a better wingback than Hill. But by doing what he does, it ruins the confidence of the guys not involved as they aren't trusted, and it ruins the guys who are shoehorned into the wrong areas.

He's doing a good job overall, it'd be churlish to say anything different, but he really has to improve in these types of games. We are beaten before we even start when we lineup like that.

As you say, on to United. The next 4 are all winnable so let's get on another run, cement 3rd and get to the SC quarters. 

10 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Bang on.

Rangers were good, and obviously deserved to win.

Hearts were pish.

The fact that Nielson set us up with that starting line-up is one thing, but the fact that he's not owning up to it is worse - in the words of Neil Warnock 'I take the fooking blame!'

I can see why he played Hill at RWB, but it was a disaster - McKay in centre-mid was a glaring mistake.

I was happy to see Kuol in the team, but it was too much too soon for him - whatever position he was meant to be playing just wasn't right for him.

With or without all the chopping and changing, the players were all over the place, and didn't seem to know where they were meant to be.

Having said all that, there were an awful lot of unforced errors, and the players should be doing a lot better.

Bottom line is Hearts were awful, and Nielson should be owning his mistakes. 

Same as the Livi game - write the game off, learn what you can from it, and focus on winning the next game. 

There were unforced errors but there were more forced errors

Against most of the teams we play a decent first touch is enough to give you a second and a great first touch takes you past a man

The way Rangers were playing last night when we were in possession meant that a merely decent first touch would be a last touch

Ultimately Neilson was playing with a weaker hand than whoever the current Rangers manager is and needed to come up with something  unorthodox to finesse the situation. It didn't work but chances are if we'd gone for something conventional with Kio and/or Andy Haliday then it wouldn't have worked either (with all due respect to those players)

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ultimately Neilson was playing with a weaker hand than whoever the current Rangers manager is and needed to come up with something  unorthodox to finesse the situation. It didn't work but chances are if we'd gone for something conventional with Kio and/or Andy Haliday then it wouldn't have worked either (with all due respect to those players)

Possibly not, but it wouldn't have been as easy for them. Even sticking Cochrane in the middle made us more solid and Kio improved us. We completely surrendered the midfield and it was mental. Even more mental was refusing to change it.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

According to him it was the same formation we've played all season and the players need to be better.

Genuinely feels like he's gaslighting the fans by telling them what they are seeing isn't what's actually happening.

I think that actual shape we started with wasn't so different - the problem was playing players in positions they were going to struggle in - McKay in there with Snodgrass was an obvious concern, and just about everyone saw that and said so. 

When Nielson came on the radio after the game, I was expecting an apology for getting it wrong, but he blamed the players - I should have known better.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Agree with all that apart from Kuol. Not sure it was a case of too soon, more a case of he had no idea what was expected of him. He isn't a central midfielder and to play him there is borderline negligence when we are trying to be helping him develop. A stunt like that could shatter his confidence.

Either way, he was miscast - and that's an Nielson.

How McKay lasted the full game is another mystery - really not the game for him - again, most folk could see that, but RN couldn't. 

8 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Sure.  Then he just let them run with it.

Come on eh?

There is no point in him telling lies though.The game is still lost.

I, also, think that McKay in centre midfield is something worth trying. It never worked the time but it might take time. He doesn't sore enough goals for a forward player.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Big fan of this from Barisic 😂 Hearts fans in those front rows always seem to dish it out. Glad they got a bit upset at this.

Anyone other than Sevco and its a red card. He was also bumping his gums when people were giving him stick at the other end of the park, definitely thin skinned.

15 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Anyone other than Sevco and its a red card. He was also bumping his gums when people were giving him stick at the other end of the park, definitely thin skinned.

He is often doing stuff like it. Earlier in the season against Motherwell as an example. It’s one of those where I don’t really have an issue with giving it back to fans that have been hounding you all game.

As for a red card, I’m not quite sure chipping the ball into the crowd is worthy of one. If he’d leathered it, aye fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

He is often doing stuff like it. Earlier in the season against Motherwell as an example. It’s one of those where I don’t really have an issue with giving it back to fans that have been hounding you all game.

As for a red card, I’m not quite sure chipping the ball into the crowd is worthy of one. If he’d leathered it, aye fair enough. 

I also find it funny when it's given back to fans but kicking the ball into the crowd to deliberately hit a spectator is a red.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, but at least you're here taking your licks unlike some of your big mouth, shite bag supporters who were giving it big licks (rightly so) to Dons and Hibs fans these last 2 weeks.

And St Mirren Fans.  To be fair I understand why St Mirren give them the fear 

St Mirren troll Hearts as Hibs-daft author Irvine Welsh tweets his ...

4 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Force has nowt to do with it. You can't kick the ball at the crowd, it's lucky not to be a red.

Force really does have everything to do with it. It needs to be considered using excessive force or brutality, which it was neither.

2287F0B2-3699-40D9-9B5B-49FDD8D9DBE8.jpeg

CA96EF60-6191-4A0E-A14E-11F8A018E978.jpeg

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Force really does have everything to do with it. It needs to be considered using excessive force or brutality, which it was neither.

That's no aimed at folk hoying things into the crowd.

I saw it at the time and thought he was lucky.  I'll no lose any sleep over it but it's stupid to do it

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Surely it's excessive in the fact there is absolutely no need for it? It's not like he's chased a ball into the corner and chipped it while running, he's turned round and kicked it at them.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter. It's w**k behaviour either way, kicking the ball at teenagers because he got the vickies. 

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

As much as Morelos irritates me by giving it back to fans, he doesn't deliberately kick a ball into the faces of the fans.  

Barisic took it to another level and was very lucky not to be red carded for that.