Arbroath vs Raith, 4-2-23

28 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

They didn't look like a team yesterday, just a random collection of signings who may well be talented enough, but showed no cohesion at all. 

This. Didn’t think any of the changes Campbell made had any impact at all on the game and just made them look increasingly desperate and shapeless. Rovers looked far more of a cohesive team for the last third. Arbroath's strength was always organisation, hard work and togetherness but that looked lacking yesterday. With both Cove and Hamilton getting their act together a bit, it’s a worry for Arbroath. 

6 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

By your account, the shoe was on the other foot?

Try reading what I said.

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

Think of myself as reasonably fair minded and can usually see when an opposition team feels hard done by, but simply don’t accept this simulation pish at all. Rovers players were going down because for most of the game Arbroath were the more physical team and fouling more. The final stats show they committed twice the number of fouls. It was only in the last third of the game we matched them physically. 

We’ve not had a diver in our side since Dario Zanatta left. The only two incidents where I thought any Rovers players could even be accused of making a slight meal of it was one where Gullane stayed down looking for a foul after a fairly robust but fair challenge in the middle of the park and the Millen incident early when the boy squared up with his head, but even in that both players were equally at it and both got rightly booked. Neither of these were anything out of the ordinary, but from reading this thread you’d think Rovers players were throwing themselves down at every opportunity. It’s a bizarre take and can only put it down to the pressure of being down in a play off spot.  Anyway, hope Arbroath stay up. It’s a great place to watch football and a great away day. 

Your own fans on this thread seem to disagree.

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Thoughts on the game:

Firstly, the reaction on here, wow, do the Raith fans have a thing about us.  I wouldn't even consider them a rival, but the reaction on here shows that we are apparently their derby game.  They seem to love snatching a win against their bigger rivals.  

To the game itself, and watching that makes me convinced we will be relegated.  Why?  Because I can't really criticise the manager.  We had the right players, in the right formation, and I thought the subs made sense too.  The players looked up for the fight, and we stood up well to the bullying attempts of Raith.  And yet, we still didn't win.  We gave it our all, and it wasn't enough.  That's why I am even more sure we are going down.

We lost that game because we didnt score enough in the first half.  Raith were right there for the taking, and we werent clinical enough.  Then, once we did score, we seemed to take our foot off the gas rather than press on.  I knew at the time that if we didnt score 3, we would lose.

Fair play (the last time I'll need to use that term) to Raith though.  In the second half, they didnt attack as much as I expected, but it felt like every time they attacked, they were much more dangerous.  They ultimately deserved their win, because they were clinical when we were not.  

Physically, we matched up well to Raith's attempts at bullying, but my god, what a bunch of divers.  More fatal injuries and miraculous recoveries than a trip to Lourdes.  And the refereeing too.  We only got free kicks for absurd overselling.  Not quite Raith levels, but we got nothing unless we oversold it.  So I can see why Raith went for the theatrics.  Embarrassing though.  My highlight was watching two Raith players run into each other, and then somehow win a free kick.

Not wanting to single out players, but while he's fast, Olusanya has no ball control.  Did he even manage to control the ball once?  I was expecting much more.  That was a massive weakness with our line up.  I felt that having Stewart and Olusanya on the flank wasn't a good combination.

Finally, Raith brought a good number of away fans to their big derby, and kept up a good noise and good atmosphere!  I actually enjoyed the game too, apart from the losing bit.  It was an exciting game, and good fun.

Sad Doctor Who GIF

13 hours ago, Raithie said:

Davie Hancock saying it's the first time in 15 years a club haven't offered enough space for him to do media duties including post match interviews. Hope the young team lobbed a wheelie bin off someones dome in retaliation. 

12 hours ago, Blablabla said:

Can someone fae the Rovers hierarchy inform yer wee ned "supporters" wie their fake stone islands to walk on the pavement and not in the middle of the road  on the way to the ground. They seem to think its funny throwing half drank bottles of alcopops at cars trying to pass, the driver shoulda ploughed through the little pr#cks, then seen how funny they found it

Wheelie bin must have been too heavy.

Arbroath polis have been up all night studying this lads dashcam footage. VAR Result: nothing to see here, move along. Thought 💭 police want to speak to the driver for his murderous fantasies. 

9 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Thoughts on the game:

Firstly, the reaction on here, wow, do the Raith fans have a thing about us.  I wouldn't even consider them a rival, but the reaction on here shows that we are apparently their derby game.  They seem to love snatching a win against their bigger rivals.  

To the game itself, and watching that makes me convinced we will be relegated.  Why?  Because I can't really criticise the manager.  We had the right players, in the right formation, and I thought the subs made sense too.  The players looked up for the fight, and we stood up well to the bullying attempts of Raith.  And yet, we still didn't win.  We gave it our all, and it wasn't enough.  That's why I am even more sure we are going down.

We lost that game because we didnt score enough in the first half.  Raith were right there for the taking, and we werent clinical enough.  Then, once we did score, we seemed to take our foot off the gas rather than press on.  I knew at the time that if we didnt score 3, we would lose.

Fair play (the last time I'll need to use that term) to Raith though.  In the second half, they didnt attack as much as I expected, but it felt like every time they attacked, they were much more dangerous.  They ultimately deserved their win, because they were clinical when we were not.  

Physically, we matched up well to Raith's attempts at bullying, but my god, what a bunch of divers.  More fatal injuries and miraculous recoveries than a trip to Lourdes.  And the refereeing too.  We only got free kicks for absurd overselling.  Not quite Raith levels, but we got nothing unless we oversold it.  So I can see why Raith went for the theatrics.  Embarrassing though.  My highlight was watching two Raith players run into each other, and then somehow win a free kick.

Not wanting to single out players, but while he's fast, Olusanya has no ball control.  Did he even manage to control the ball once?  I was expecting much more.  That was a massive weakness with our line up.  I felt that having Stewart and Olusanya on the flank wasn't a good combination.

Finally, Raith brought a good number of away fans to their big derby, and kept up a good noise and good atmosphere!  I actually enjoyed the game too, apart from the losing bit.  It was an exciting game, and good fun.

Absolutely splendid!

I can't disagree that the first two turds and more of this post is one of epic..............shit! The last two sensible paragraphs are totally at odds with the bile that comes before.

Verbal diarrhoea of the greatest and highest order. 

Edited by embow

8 minutes ago, embow said:

Absolutely splendid!

I can't disagree that the first two turds and more of this post is one of epic..............shit! The last two sensible paragraphs are totally at odds with the bile that comes before.

Verbal diarrhoea of the greatest and highest order. 

Especially the Bigger Rivals bit, a case of over reaching. A village mentality if you will😆😆

Some of you guys do seem a little triggered.  Its just looking at the evidence though.  None of our other match threads seem to turn into an utter bin fire, its only when Raith are involved.  And it seems to be very much a one way thing.  Even at the games, no other sets of fans come to Gayfield and charge the segregation fences like Raith fans do.

So what is it about playing Arbroath that turns Raith fans into weirdos? Is it the Campbells?  Is it a Fife/Angus thing?  Is it a league 1 title thing? Is there some stadium envy? 

It baffles me, as I always thought Raith were the good guys in Fife.

5 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Some of you guys do seem a little triggered.  Its just looking at the evidence though.  None of our other match threads seem to turn into an utter bin fire, its only when Raith are involved.  And it seems to be very much a one way thing.  Even at the games, no other sets of fans come to Gayfield and charge the segregation fences like Raith fans do.

So what is it about playing Arbroath that turns Raith fans into weirdos? Is it the Campbells?  Is it a Fife/Angus thing?  Is it a league 1 title thing? Is there some stadium envy? 

It baffles me, as I always thought Raith were the good guys in Fife.

I know it is tongue in cheek but I’ve seen a few Arbroath fans mention the year you won the League 1 title as if it was some sort of close back and forth battle. You won it by a mile and we didn’t even finish 2nd! We then went up the following season so I’m sure no Rovers fan holds any grudges over that.

I can’t for the life of me think why there would be any ‘rivalry’ between the Rovers and Arbroath. With the greatest respect, despite their incredible recent turnaround, Arbroath have been irrelevant to me as a Rovers supporter for most of my life and I can’t remember any season where we have finished close to each other or been in similar battles (unlike Ayr United where for a while it seemed every year we were battling with them for position in League One or the Championship). 

I think you can just put it down to two teams relatively close together, easy to get to, lots of good pubs meaning we bring a decent crowd which contains a few drunk groups and you’re always going to get the odd idiot. I doubt it’s anything personal. It also works both ways, I remember we had to stop putting Arbroath fans in the main stand in the Barry Smith season because a few idiots got wound up to the point of wanting to fight some Rovers fans who were laughing at them which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before in that stand.

One thing I don’t understand is Abroath thinking Raith fans have ‘ground envy’.

We’re at our best when we get the ball down and play some real neat stuff. ICT first half last week was the perfect example.

Quality football goes out the window at Gayfield due to the wind and the advantage both teams had yesterday either half was comical at best or embarrassing at worst for Championship level football. 

Nice little ground, a good away day but absolutely no chance I’d want to watch my team play there.

Some wild takes on here by Arbroath fans, I think we deserved to win the game IM's subs were spot on and won us the game, Arbroath didn't look like a cohesive team, which was there strength last season, worrying times for them as it looks like Cove and Hamilton have improved, we must now be looking at a play off push (hopefully!).

I hope Arbroath stay up generally good spuds and a cracking away day.  

Honestly can’t see this supposed rivalry. Pretty much every Rovers fan I know is relatively positive towards Arbroath and all wanted them to go up last season rather than Killie. Fellow east coast team, decent ground, good away day. Even had Jason Thomson for a spell. The only real downside is Dick Campbell, but even then I think most folk secretly enjoy his pantomime villian schtick. Feels like Arbroath are us after 2010. Unlikely promotion push, fell just short mostly due to squad depth and rival’s spending. Then the seasons after struggling to repeat it.  Hope you stay up. Would much rather have you than someone like Cove. 

15 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Honestly can’t see this supposed rivalry. Pretty much every Rovers fan I know is relatively positive towards Arbroath and all wanted them to go up last season rather than Killie. Fellow east coast team, decent ground, good away day. Even had Jason Thomson for a spell. The only real downside is Dick Campbell, but even then I think most folk secretly enjoy his pantomime villian schtick. Feels like Arbroath are us after 2010. Unlikely promotion push, fell just short mostly due to squad depth and rival’s spending. Then the seasons after struggling to repeat it.  Hope you stay up. Would much rather have you than someone like Cove. 

Birthday caird pish. Get down. 

Just a wee thing on our first goal, obviously most of the credit goes to Stanton for excellent work down the left and then Brown for a great finish. However, I think Nolan deserves a mention. Someone who has been criticised for his lack of quality/composure on the ball but he plays a very smart first time pass out to the left which opens everything up. Might look straight forward but would have been very easy just to volley it back up the park in the position he was in.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

I can’t for the life of me think why there would be any ‘rivalry’ between the Rovers and Arbroath. With the greatest respect, despite their incredible recent turnaround, Arbroath have been irrelevant to me as a Rovers supporter for most of my life and I can’t remember any season where we have finished close to each other or been in similar battles

Same.  That's why all these Arbroath - Raith threads have confused me, even from lurking before I joined.  Raith fans generally seem like sensible posters until the Arbroath threads happen.  Its mystifying. 

42 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

In fairness, Cove is a much better trip than Arbroath is. Even though our record there is awful.