Arbroath vs Raith, 4-2-23

The corner that Arbroath got that they eventually scored from - wow. The How have the officials decided that’s a corner? The highlights don’t show it but they didn’t actually score from that corner, MacDonald tips the first one over the bar and they score from the second one, but that is a wild decision. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The corner that Arbroath got that they eventually scored from - wow. The How have the officials decided that’s a corner? The highlights don’t show it but they didn’t actually score from that corner, MacDonald tips the first one over the bar and they score from the second one, but that is a wild decision. 

The officials were out of their mind.  I'm struggling to think of worse performances.  Even for us, we were being taken out, only to see play waved on, while we won several free kicks where we blatantly slipped or even oversold it.  It was laughably inconsistent.  Likewise, I felt we got away with a few snide ones, but then the ref would blow for a totally contact free dive or slip.  It just didnt make any sense!

21 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Thoughts on the game:

Firstly, the reaction on here, wow, do the Raith fans have a thing about us.  I wouldn't even consider them a rival, but the reaction on here shows that we are apparently their derby game.  They seem to love snatching a win against their bigger rivals.  

To the game itself, and watching that makes me convinced we will be relegated.  Why?  Because I can't really criticise the manager.  We had the right players, in the right formation, and I thought the subs made sense too.  The players looked up for the fight, and we stood up well to the bullying attempts of Raith.  And yet, we still didn't win.  We gave it our all, and it wasn't enough.  That's why I am even more sure we are going down.

We lost that game because we didnt score enough in the first half.  Raith were right there for the taking, and we werent clinical enough.  Then, once we did score, we seemed to take our foot off the gas rather than press on.  I knew at the time that if we didnt score 3, we would lose.

Fair play (the last time I'll need to use that term) to Raith though.  In the second half, they didnt attack as much as I expected, but it felt like every time they attacked, they were much more dangerous.  They ultimately deserved their win, because they were clinical when we were not.  

Physically, we matched up well to Raith's attempts at bullying, but my god, what a bunch of divers.  More fatal injuries and miraculous recoveries than a trip to Lourdes.  And the refereeing too.  We only got free kicks for absurd overselling.  Not quite Raith levels, but we got nothing unless we oversold it.  So I can see why Raith went for the theatrics.  Embarrassing though.  My highlight was watching two Raith players run into each other, and then somehow win a free kick.

Not wanting to single out players, but while he's fast, Olusanya has no ball control.  Did he even manage to control the ball once?  I was expecting much more.  That was a massive weakness with our line up.  I felt that having Stewart and Olusanya on the flank wasn't a good combination.

Finally, Raith brought a good number of away fans to their big derby, and kept up a good noise and good atmosphere!  I actually enjoyed the game too, apart from the losing bit.  It was an exciting game, and good fun.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

29 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Thoughts on the game:

Firstly, the reaction on here, wow, do the Raith fans have a thing about us.  I wouldn't even consider them a rival, but the reaction on here shows that we are apparently their derby game.  They seem to love snatching a win against their bigger rivals.  

To the game itself, and watching that makes me convinced we will be relegated.  Why?  Because I can't really criticise the manager.  We had the right players, in the right formation, and I thought the subs made sense too.  The players looked up for the fight, and we stood up well to the bullying attempts of Raith.  And yet, we still didn't win.  We gave it our all, and it wasn't enough.  That's why I am even more sure we are going down.

We lost that game because we didnt score enough in the first half.  Raith were right there for the taking, and we werent clinical enough.  Then, once we did score, we seemed to take our foot off the gas rather than press on.  I knew at the time that if we didnt score 3, we would lose.

Fair play (the last time I'll need to use that term) to Raith though.  In the second half, they didnt attack as much as I expected, but it felt like every time they attacked, they were much more dangerous.  They ultimately deserved their win, because they were clinical when we were not.  

Physically, we matched up well to Raith's attempts at bullying, but my god, what a bunch of divers.  More fatal injuries and miraculous recoveries than a trip to Lourdes.  And the refereeing too.  We only got free kicks for absurd overselling.  Not quite Raith levels, but we got nothing unless we oversold it.  So I can see why Raith went for the theatrics.  Embarrassing though.  My highlight was watching two Raith players run into each other, and then somehow win a free kick.

Not wanting to single out players, but while he's fast, Olusanya has no ball control.  Did he even manage to control the ball once?  I was expecting much more.  That was a massive weakness with our line up.  I felt that having Stewart and Olusanya on the flank wasn't a good combination.

Finally, Raith brought a good number of away fans to their big derby, and kept up a good noise and good atmosphere!  I actually enjoyed the game too, apart from the losing bit.  It was an exciting game, and good fun.

Screenshot_20230205_002355.jpg

33 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

The officials were out of their mind.  I'm struggling to think of worse performances.  Even for us, we were being taken out, only to see play waved on, while we won several free kicks where we blatantly slipped or even oversold it.  It was laughably inconsistent.  Likewise, I felt we got away with a few snide ones, but then the ref would blow for a totally contact free dive or slip.  It just didnt make any sense!

Scottish refs are just shit full stop.  Not corrupt not cheats just rubbish.

Edited by Hayshead2

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Thoughts on the game:

You'll have plenty time for this pish in league 1 Lad,!

20 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

You'll have plenty time for this pish in league 1 Lad,!

Well I did say that I thought we were going to be relegated, so aye.  Raith were just that bit more physical and tough while also being a bit more streetwise with the *ahem* simulation.  We weren't good enough. 

Think of myself as reasonably fair minded and can usually see when an opposition team feels hard done by, but simply don’t accept this simulation pish at all. Rovers players were going down because for most of the game Arbroath were the more physical team and fouling more. The final stats show they committed twice the number of fouls. It was only in the last third of the game we matched them physically. 

We’ve not had a diver in our side since Dario Zanatta left. The only two incidents where I thought any Rovers players could even be accused of making a slight meal of it was one where Gullane stayed down looking for a foul after a fairly robust but fair challenge in the middle of the park and the Millen incident early when the boy squared up with his head, but even in that both players were equally at it and both got rightly booked. Neither of these were anything out of the ordinary, but from reading this thread you’d think Rovers players were throwing themselves down at every opportunity. It’s a bizarre take and can only put it down to the pressure of being down in a play off spot.  Anyway, hope Arbroath stay up. It’s a great place to watch football and a great away day. 

Edited by roverthemoon

It's interesting to see where Arbroath go from here to be honest.  From a purely outside perspective,  I've always thought the Campbells achieved success with Arbroath largely down to a unit of players who had played together for years, as well as bringing in best part time players in Scotland.  Of course, add some very good loan signings to that.

They didn't look like a team yesterday, just a random collection of signings who may well be talented enough, but showed no cohesion at all.