Arbroath vs Raith, 4-2-23

Thoughts on the game:

Firstly, the reaction on here, wow, do the Raith fans have a thing about us.  I wouldn't even consider them a rival, but the reaction on here shows that we are apparently their derby game.  They seem to love snatching a win against their bigger rivals.  

To the game itself, and watching that makes me convinced we will be relegated.  Why?  Because I can't really criticise the manager.  We had the right players, in the right formation, and I thought the subs made sense too.  The players looked up for the fight, and we stood up well to the bullying attempts of Raith.  And yet, we still didn't win.  We gave it our all, and it wasn't enough.  That's why I am even more sure we are going down.

We lost that game because we didnt score enough in the first half.  Raith were right there for the taking, and we werent clinical enough.  Then, once we did score, we seemed to take our foot off the gas rather than press on.  I knew at the time that if we didnt score 3, we would lose.

Fair play (the last time I'll need to use that term) to Raith though.  In the second half, they didnt attack as much as I expected, but it felt like every time they attacked, they were much more dangerous.  They ultimately deserved their win, because they were clinical when we were not.  

Physically, we matched up well to Raith's attempts at bullying, but my god, what a bunch of divers.  More fatal injuries and miraculous recoveries than a trip to Lourdes.  And the refereeing too.  We only got free kicks for absurd overselling.  Not quite Raith levels, but we got nothing unless we oversold it.  So I can see why Raith went for the theatrics.  Embarrassing though.  My highlight was watching two Raith players run into each other, and then somehow win a free kick.

Not wanting to single out players, but while he's fast, Olusanya has no ball control.  Did he even manage to control the ball once?  I was expecting much more.  That was a massive weakness with our line up.  I felt that having Stewart and Olusanya on the flank wasn't a good combination.

Finally, Raith brought a good number of away fans to their big derby, and kept up a good noise and good atmosphere!  I actually enjoyed the game too, apart from the losing bit.  It was an exciting game, and good fun.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Thoughts on the game:

Firstly, the reaction on here, wow, do the Raith fans have a thing about us.  I wouldn't even consider them a rival, but the reaction on here shows that we are apparently their derby game.  They seem to love snatching a win against their bigger rivals.  

To the game itself, and watching that makes me convinced we will be relegated.  Why?  Because I can't really criticise the manager.  We had the right players, in the right formation, and I thought the subs made sense too.  The players looked up for the fight, and we stood up well to the bullying attempts of Raith.  And yet, we still didn't win.  We gave it our all, and it wasn't enough.  That's why I am even more sure we are going down.

We lost that game because we didnt score enough in the first half.  Raith were right there for the taking, and we werent clinical enough.  Then, once we did score, we seemed to take our foot off the gas rather than press on.  I knew at the time that if we didnt score 3, we would lose.

Fair play (the last time I'll need to use that term) to Raith though.  In the second half, they didnt attack as much as I expected, but it felt like every time they attacked, they were much more dangerous.  They ultimately deserved their win, because they were clinical when we were not.  

Physically, we matched up well to Raith's attempts at bullying, but my god, what a bunch of divers.  More fatal injuries and miraculous recoveries than a trip to Lourdes.  And the refereeing too.  We only got free kicks for absurd overselling.  Not quite Raith levels, but we got nothing unless we oversold it.  So I can see why Raith went for the theatrics.  Embarrassing though.  My highlight was watching two Raith players run into each other, and then somehow win a free kick.

Not wanting to single out players, but while he's fast, Olusanya has no ball control.  Did he even manage to control the ball once?  I was expecting much more.  That was a massive weakness with our line up.  I felt that having Stewart and Olusanya on the flank wasn't a good combination.

Finally, Raith brought a good number of away fans to their big derby, and kept up a good noise and good atmosphere!  

I’ll save everyone the time of reading that:

04AF3A6C-9642-4F13-8D31-8D607E0BB286.jpeg.1d31cafd40415f1aff8a3b88da4b27b5.jpeg