Arbroath vs Raith, 4-2-23

Here we go again…a potentially resurgent Lichties versus an erratic Rovers. Can the improvement in form hold for Arbroath? Can the Rovers continue to generate opportunities and squander them? Forecast looks reasonable, with just a little rain on Thursday, temperatures remaining above freezing and a mild offshore wind predicted.

Raith have taken to spectacularly poor defending here and there, what’s Arbroath’s latest travail?

I still think we are giving away shit goals but there’s massive improvement there. 4 games since the 7 in and 7 out and we’ve had 3 away games;

Beat Dundee 4-2 

Beat Morton 2-1

Drew with Ayr 2-2

However the 1 home game we did have we somehow lost 4-1. It was never ever a 4-1 game but the manner we seem to have crumbled in at Gayfield is worrying we really need to try get a good run at home again. We have only won once there all season which is so unlike us. 

I would get Hetherington in from the start over big Bitsindou. Hetherington looked very nippy on Saturday when he come on and I think him buzzing about in the back 4 with McKenna and Balde ahead of him the way to go. Also seeing as we are at home give Yasin or Bobby a run over Dow who I like but I think if we could take a lead then Dow would be the ideal man to come on there.

Gaston

Stewart 

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Hetherington

Balde

Olusanya

McKenna 

Linn / El Mhanni

Adarkwa 

Need to turn our dugshit home form around and this is the perfect time to do it. A win could take us out of the playoff spot and give us a huge boost heading to Cove in 3 weeks. 

Heatherington for Bitsindou would be my change as well. And a RB In for Stewart of we can sign one. I’d probably put Stewart further forward with Dow dropping to the bench. I fully expect is to be unchanged though 

I think the most important thing the Morton game gave us was that it showed that we could come back from losing a goal and win.  Not just draw, but actually good.  That will have done our squad the world of good.  

For the first time since about October, I'm confident about this one.

A win here and I think we can just about stop nervously looking over our shoulder for the rest of the season which of course means we’ll get beat!

Our last 5/6 performances have been good and we should have more points on the board than we do, as I think @Broken Algorithms mentioned elsewhere our outlook will greatly change depending on our next result that isn’t a draw. Win and we are talking about being 10 unbeaten and playing well. Lose and we are talking about 1 win in 9 leagues games and being dragged into trouble. Really important game.

Arbroath have clearly turned a corner since their new signings arrived with 3 cracking results away from home. Their home form is surprisingly poor but I don’t see that continuing in the final third of the season now they have improved their squad and I think is just a reflection that they haven’t had a run of home games since those signings.

Our weakness defending from set pieces has been well publicised and I’d imagine that’ll be an area Arbroath will target, looking at their recent line ups they will have a huge height advantage over us. I’d imagine how we deal with that will be a crucial aspect of the game.

Assuming there are no injuries, I’d expect we will line up the same as the Inverness game. Looking at recent results from both teams suggest there will be goals, I’ll take a punt at another 2-2 which I think would be an okay result here despite having far too many draws recently.

This will be a tough one i'd be tempted to bring Ngwenya and Stanton back in for this.  Not sure i'd be risking Vaughan either with the way the Arbroath play but he seems to be heading back to top form so tough to drop him out the team.

Macdonald

Millen   Lang  Dick  Ngwenya

Brown  Spencer

Connolly  Stanton  Gullan

Vaughan

27 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Have a look at both our goals on Saturday to see the current "way we are playing"

Tbf I wish we had been alot nastier throughout the season. We’ve been way too soft. Olusanya and Adarkwa getting stuck in uptop and Balde and Hetherington coming into the squad in midfield does make us that wee bitty tougher to play against. We’ve been way too soft for most of the year but things finally looking like they’re starting to change

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbf I wish we had been alot nastier throughout the season. We’ve been way too soft. Olusanya and Adarkwa getting stuck in uptop and Balde and Hetherington coming into the squad in midfield does make us that wee bitty tougher to play against. We’ve been way too soft for most of the year but things finally looking like they’re starting to change

I was reading the Morton fans commenting on us bullying their players, and combined with the size of our signings, that was when I thought "yep, we are back".

18 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Have a look at both our goals on Saturday to see the current "way we are playing"

Every time Vaughan plays against you guys yous do your best to kick him off the park.  Go back and look at previous highlights to see! 

Edited by Rover1990

8 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Mind 2 of your players trying to break mckenna’s legs a few years back?

That was game when "Hammy won the league at Starks Park".

McKenna was running through late on, Benedictus came flying in from the side with one intention only. Unfortunately, for him, he hurt himself and not McKenna and had to be stretchered off. He only got a yellow card for it.

Approx 12 minutes in.

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Benidictus tried to half McKenna and ended up doing himself a pretty nasty injury. 

Aye it was stupid but still doesn’t get away from the fact that I wouldn’t risk Vaughan in this game.  It’s a no brainier Arbroath fans are going to come out defending their side and say they aren’t dirty.  I feel they have been it’s a matter of opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Aye it was stupid but still doesn’t get away from the fact that I wouldn’t risk Vaughan in this game.  It’s a no brainier Arbroath fans are going to come out defending their side and say they aren’t dirty.  I feel they have been it’s a matter of opinion. 

I genuinely don't think we are what you would call a "dirty" team and I can't remember any of our players ever going out to injure Vaughan or any one else for that matter. Of course, part of the game is that you get heavy challenges and fouls, intentional or otherwise and often the oppositions better players are perhaps marked and fouled more than others.

One of our big strengths last season was our physicality but a team can be physically dominant and strong without being dirty.

Rovers fans sounding like a bunch of knicker wetters here.

If a team cant deal with the physicality of football then the Scottish Championship is not a place for them. 

Should be a tasty affair on Saturday, I'm not too confident with Arbroaths recent return to form and would take a draw. Won't do much for our promotion playoff chances but 4 point from Gayfield wouldn't be the reason we miss out if we did.

18 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I genuinely don't think we are what you would call a "dirty" team and I can't remember any of our players ever going out to injure Vaughan or any one else for that matter. Of course, part of the game is that you get heavy challenges and fouls, intentional or otherwise and often the oppositions better players are perhaps marked and fouled more than others.

One of our big strengths last season was our physicality but a team can be physically dominant and strong without being dirty.

The tackle from Mckenna on Spencer he didn't need to throw himself into it the way he did it was reckless.  We can argue back all day long about individual tackles etc Vaughan has had 4 ACLs so whether yous are dirty or just physical its no real surprise that Raith fans are cautious about him playing.  

Just now, Rover1990 said:

The tackle from Mckenna on Spencer he didn't need to throw himself into it the way he did it was reckless.  We can argue back all day long about individual tackles etc Vaughan has had 4 ACLs so whether yous are dirty or just physical its no real surprise that Raith fans are cautious about him playing.  

How many were down to tackles? And how many were due to the playing surface?