Goodwin's last team vs Goodwin's last but one team

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've asked them and they do agree: Dons fans are tying themselves in knots over letting Gallagher go for free only for him to then rock up at a league rival and immediately become one of the best centre backs in the division.

Very good. I’m not sure what you really mean by tying ourselves in knots. 

He’s doing well and fair play to him for getting it together. But he was poor for us, I wasn’t convinced by signing him at the time due to his form at Motherwell and he struggled with injury and form with us. I’ve no real issue or regrets that we let him go. 

I know you won a game of football but not everything has to be a gotcha. 

33 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

His best form at Motherwell (when he got into the Scotland squad) was before his last year with them where things turned a bit sour. He was then poor for us and likely wasn't helped by tactics making him pass the ball a bit more and we gave up on him (possibly too quickly). Recurring problem for the Dons is the number of players we can't get everything out of - lots of average premiership players seem shite when playing for us and more than good enough when they go elsewhere.

I reckon fans of most clubs will feel a bit like that at times. Some players don't settle at certain clubs for whatever reason but players also need to be given a bit of a chance.

As far as it goes with Gallagher, he didn't do well in his short spell at Aberdeen and they binned him. Fair enough. If the defenders brought in had looked good then no one would've mentioned it but they've been a downgrade. Aberdeen might aspire to having better centre halves than Gallagher but he is considerably better than those who have been turning out for Aberdeen this season. Evidenced by the fact that Aberdeen have conceded by far the most goals in the league, and our defensive record is (currently) only bettered by Celtic and Rangers.

Edited by houston_bud

26 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Any idea why Greive was booked last night? He didn’t appear to be involved in the handbags stuff. Mistaken identity?

He ended up on the deck, so I’m guessing he squared up to someone who pushed him.  A random Don got booked too; so he was probably the one that did the pushing.

28 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Any idea why Greive was booked last night? He didn’t appear to be involved in the handbags stuff. Mistaken identity?

I think it was after the melee when Dunne took out Shinnie, midway through the first. The ref stopped play initially, then a scuffle broke out and when it all cleared up he booked an Aberdeen player and Greive. I initially thought it was O'Hara, similar build and hair colour.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Was one of the best centre backs in the division before he joined them too. He was outstanding for Livi and Motherwell at this level and rightly earned a call up to the Scotland team as a result. I fear that the problem here is Aberdeen, not Declan Gallgher.

You’re rewriting history here. Motherwell fans couldn’t wait to get shot of Gallagher at the time he signed for us. He was shit for us as well, and just because the replacements we brought in for him have been poor it doesn’t make getting rid of him the wrong decision. Good luck to him at St Mirren.

44 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Duk had the ball set up for the free kick and Grieve stuck his boot through the legs of Duk and kicked the ball away. Duk gave him a wee nudge and he took a tumble to end up on the deck.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

So how was Gallagher offside then 😂.

As for the red card, sticking your elbow in someone's face is asking for trouble. He was blocked yes, so ask yourselves why he threw his elbow up? I've seen all sorts of reasons from Aberdeen fans, mainly to protect himself, but look at the video, he was already going past him, why did he need to protect himself? A moment of stupidity cost you the game.

We have had Erhahon and Dunne sent off for similar incidents 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, it 100% was a foul to Aberdeen and the ref got the call wrong in awarding us the free kick.

The amount of roasters on twitter who seem to believe that the fact it should have been a foul and possibly a booking for Dunne somehow nullifies and renders the elbow in the face that followed as non-judgeable is hilarious. 

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I have a question for all the folk claiming it wasn't a red and that folk who think it was have never played football before and that it was a natural reaction and/or natural for someone trying to get around a player;

When was the last time you saw that? If it's such a regular thing, or at least such a natural thing, then surely it must be seen fairly often, and if so must pass without incident? However I no such occurrences come to mind.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

All banter aside, any Aberdeen fan still claiming that is not a red for McCrorie is "at it". We've seen multiple angles and not one shows it as being a non-punishable offence.

For me, and because it happened so early on in game, this was Robson's fault. He's clearly told them he needed to see "fight and desire" or whatever cliched nonsense you want to use, and McCrorie took that too literally and tried to force his way past Dunne. Problem with that is the obvious and clear use of the elbow, it was raised while he was running, but the video shows he adds to that. It's a forearm smash, simple as that. A red as clear as you can see.

Feel sorry for Fraser for the penalty. It was one, not claiming otherwise, but Duk (who looks a good player every time I see him) put his legs all over the place and it's more an accidental collision. It's our fault, of course, we failed to deal with him running at us, but I don't think you can single out Fraser for that.

All in all, this was a major banana skin for us, and for all the reasons we mentioned before; our away form, the expectation of a manager bounce, etc, etc, but we were excellent from start to finish.

Looked like a bit of pushing and grappling, that's all. It's a contact sport. I don't know how anyone can say it looked deliberate, just can't see it. 

Ref saw it differently, as did you lot. 

St Mirren probably would have won anyway because we're shite and they look like an actual competent team. 

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, it 100% was a foul to Aberdeen and the ref got the call wrong in awarding us the free kick.

We had the same discussion over Fraser's red. Olusanya was fouled first but Hearts got the free kick. The consensus was that the red card offence superceded the initial foul.

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

We had the same discussion over Fraser's red. Olusanya was fouled first but Hearts got the free kick. The consensus was that the red card offence superceded the initial foul.

The ref in that game had awarded us the free kick already though.

Difference is that last night, before they even knew it was a red card, the ref had already given the foul to St. Mirren for the entire incident, so even if the VAR check showed no red card, we'd have still had a free kick that we shouldn't have.