Formation Of Lowland League

By far the best thread to date on this subject,  funnily enough started by a belter of a contentious and rather uninformed opening contribution.  Anyone wanting an accurate and  for most part balanced overview of where we are and how we got here with Pyramid would be well served to read all the posts.

Of course still some major issues to be resolved, but the thread running through the discussion is we are where we are and focusing on where the Pyramid is going is the priority. Makes a pleasant change from years of finger pointing,  making  cheap shots and sometimes plain mischief making.

Suggest next steps are for all leagues and clubs  to encourage the Scottish FA to recognise the reality of what needs to be done to get the Pyramid into a true fit for purpose shape, from top to bottom.  Chance for some real leadership to be shown, including getting SPFL actually on board.

2 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

My own preference is for Tier 8 to become districtised into Central, Ayrshire and it's also where the South can take it's place.

Don't see an appetite for Ayrshire/Central given the move away from said regionalisation in the old junior setup a few years back & regionalisaton wouldn't suddenly draw an increase in prospective applicants. SFA aren't keen on sub-regions either.

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 30/01/2023 at 18:59, ekok said:

By far the best thread to date on this subject,  funnily enough started by a belter of a contentious and rather uninformed opening contribution.  Anyone wanting an accurate and  for most part balanced overview of where we are and how we got here with Pyramid would be well served to read all the posts.

Of course still some major issues to be resolved, but the thread running through the discussion is we are where we are and focusing on where the Pyramid is going is the priority. Makes a pleasant change from years of finger pointing,  making  cheap shots and sometimes plain mischief making.

Suggest next steps are for all leagues and clubs  to encourage the Scottish FA to recognise the reality of what needs to be done to get the Pyramid into a true fit for purpose shape, from top to bottom.  Chance for some real leadership to be shown, including getting SPFL actually on board.

On 30/01/2023 at 18:16, zenon said:

Glasgow Wellington's possible application to the SOSL could finally be the start it needs to become a stronger league and thus worthy having a three way play off to the LL. 

This is wrong.  This is where Scottish Football should step in and make it part of the rules that every team must have a designation. i.e. official league to go to by location if relegated.  Makes a mockery of what is trying to be achieved.
What happens, (hypothetically), if Wellington wins, SOSFL, wins playoffs, following year in Lowland and then relegated and then relegated into the WOSFL due to their official location.  This needs to be sorted once and for all for all leagues throughout Scotland.   Teams like Harthill, right on the boundary between WOSFL and EOSFL we can understand but wellington, nope, not for me.  Should not be allowed to join a league outwith their areas and the same for WOSFL, EOSFL etc... accepting teams outwith their area.  Get the Areas sorted once and for all and thus the pyramid system, everyone knows what league they would be in if relegated from one association to another.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

This is wrong.  This is where Scottish Football should step in and make it part of the rules that every team must have a designation. i.e. official league to go to by location if relegated.  Makes a mockery of what is trying to be achieved.
What happens, (hypothetically), if Wellington wins, SOSFL, wins playoffs, following year in Lowland and then relegated and then relegated into the WOSFL due to their official location.  This needs to be sorted once and for all for all leagues throughout Scotland.   Teams like Harthill, right on the boundary between WOSFL and EOSFL we can understand but wellington, nope, not for me.  Should not be allowed to join a league outwith their areas and the same for WOSFL, EOSFL etc... accepting teams outwith their area.  Get the Areas sorted once and for all and thus the pyramid system, everyoen knows what league they would be in if relegated from one association to another.

The best way to do that would have the SoS and WoS merge and then they are all in the same system with it becoming more regionalised as you go down the pyramid. If you have 79 teams over 5 tiers in the West including some of the strongest non-league sides vs 12 teams in 1 tier (including two reserve sides and very few licensed teams) then you leave it open to a club trying to jump the queue and picking the SoS. That's the biggest boundary issue now. 

18 hours ago, stanley said:

The best way to do that would have the SoS and WoS merge and then they are all in the same system with it becoming more regionalised as you go down the pyramid. If you have 79 teams over 5 tiers in the West including some of the strongest non-league sides vs 12 teams in 1 tier (including two reserve sides and very few licensed teams) then you leave it open to a club trying to jump the queue and picking the SoS. That's the biggest boundary issue now. 

Have spoken on other threads 're SOS and basically told to shut up.

I live in the Stewartry area (Kirkcudbright, Castle Douglas, Dalbeattie), don't follow any team just love my football and want this area to be an active part of the system, not some joke of a backwater.

I feel the powers that be in the WOS and SOS, need to sit down and sort this out. Don't want to get involved  again in the quality of each league discussion, dont know how or if it's viable for the West Prem and SOS to combine in some way for a season to amalgamate the 2 league's, if there is a better way or even another solution it needs looking at.

The Wellington situation is a joke and imho does not shine a good light on the SOS if they accept them knowing that all Wellington are looking for is a possible fast track to the LL and probably don't give a hoot about the SOS and it's place in the system. I know Threave moving will get thrown at me, but they moved from Tier 6 to 10, so in my book have acted with integrity.

If all league's are serious about the pyramid south of the Maginot Line, there should be one league in the east, EOS so that's sorted and one league in the West, WOS/SOS amalgamated.

The SFA has, allegedly, indicated that it is against regionalisation in the WoS. That rules out, for now, any voluntary merges between the two leagues.

Without regionalisation the weaker clubs in the current SoS will be thrown under a bus if the remaining stronger clubs move over to the WoS. The Dumfries/Galloway area has already seen its' amateur league fold. Some would seem to be content that Saturday clubs from the area would have to fold or join a division which cannot even exist - as things stand. Start-up Saturday clubs would have to apply straight to a senior football league which would, even if regionalised, cover into the Ayrshire and maybe Clyde valley areas. 

Maybe the portion of the SoS that doesn't want to do licensing and/or has zero ambition on ever progressing should simply form a local amateur league and do their own thing that way? The reason there is no local Saturday amateur league in that part of the world is no doubt basically that the SoS has hoovered up all the clubs that would otherwise be playing at that level. Then those that want something more could simply join the WoS? Not something the SoS league can be forced to do but something that might unfold naturally if a few more clubs do what Threave Rovers did.

56 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe the portion of the SoS that doesn't want to do licensing and/or has zero ambition on ever progressing should simply form a local amateur league and do their own thing that way? The reason there is no local Saturday amateur league in that part of the world is no doubt basically that the SoS has hoovered up all the clubs that would otherwise be playing at that level. Then those that want something more could simply join the WoS? Not something the SoS league can be forced to do but something that might unfold naturally if a few more clubs do what Threave Rovers did.

Good points LTL. Have the clubs or indeed the SOS League ever been asked what they want to happen. Don't know the history of it, maybe someone can enlighten us on the process for the SOS becoming part of the pyramid. 

Not aware of any other clubs thinking of moving, this time last year worst kept secret that Threave were looking into moving West. And if they get promoted, as it now looks, then to me the club and committee have been totally vindicated. Definitely  more nationwide publicity/awareness of football down here especially with the success in the Challenge Cup. 

Fully aware that SOS have been in pyramid since inception but publicity and awareness of it negligible at best. 

Dalbeattie being relegated might be the boost the SOS hopes, personally would prefer Star went WOS, to send out a message.

No wish to see the death of football down here just want it to be a vibrant part of the whole system.

6 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Glasgow Wellington are deluded if they think they could see off any challenge for promotion from a WoS and EoS winner. Daft travel that could be avoided by playing WoS Div 4. A publicity stunt surely.

It like the crazy application that most leagues get every year, usually some hyperactive kid who has spent too much time playing FM.

Usually leagues discard these (one of my school mates done it with the EoS years ago and they kindly told him to bolt!) but the South of Scotland actually accepted them!

Does anyone even know of they have a squad willing to travel down there for a season of games in order to stroke one’s ego?

19 minutes ago, Spyro said:

It like the crazy application that most leagues get every year, usually some hyperactive kid who has spent too much time playing FM.

Usually leagues discard these (one of my school mates done it with the EoS years ago and they kindly told him to bolt!) but the South of Scotland actually accepted them!

Does anyone even know of they have a squad willing to travel down there for a season of games in order to stroke one’s ego?

I wonder if Glasgow Wellington is just a front for another team in the East End of Glasgow we've all seen in seasons past.