Are you afraid of dying/death?

Are you afraid of death/dying?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really scared of dying at all as what will be will be, as others have said it's seeing your loved ones go that's hardest.

In saying that, I'm not for doing that death calculator thing. It seems to predict everyone lasting til at least their late sixties. Stick on I'd be the one it told just to make myself extra comfy at tucking in time tonight......

47 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

This is how I get over my fear of it and where my belief in reincarnation comes from.

If you can ultimately come from nothing, then there's no reason to assume it can't simply happen again.

But you won't know you've been reincarnated, Shirley? If you did you'd have the same consciousness as you do now? And if that's the case, would you not be aware of a previous life with your current consciousness? 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

But you won't know you've been reincarnated, Shirley? If you did you'd have the same consciousness as you do now? And if that's the case, would you not be aware of a previous life with your current consciousness? 

If your sense of self awareness carries over into a new brain, then you're not going to have any recollection of your previous life. Your previous life could have been millions of years ago on a completely different world or as a completely different species.

My theory of reincarnation stems from the idea of infinite time and universes. With infinite time comes infinite probabilities, playing out an infinite number of times. When you consider the probability of your existence right now, it seems damn near impossible that you can even be here, yet here you are. That's because an infinite amount of time allows for this probability to play out, regardless of how unlikely it is.

15 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

If your sense of self awareness carries over into a new brain, then you're not going to have any recollection of your previous life. Your previous life could have been millions of years ago on a completely different world or as a completely different species.

My theory of reincarnation stems from the idea of infinite time and universes. With infinite time comes infinite probabilities, playing out an infinite number of times. When you consider the probability of your existence right now, it seems damn near impossible that you can even be here, yet here you are. That's because an infinite amount of time allows for this probability to play out, regardless of how unlikely it is.

I don't agree with that part at all. The reason I exist is because my old man impregnated my maw, just like millions of other folk's dad's have impregnated their maws (steady now). It isn't any more complicated than that. The fact I'm 'me' is nothing more than happenstance. I have to be someone, and if I was an entirely different character personality-wise, perceived myself and/or the world differently, and led a completely different life to the one I have, then that too would be nothing more than happenstance. 

There's nothing remarkable about the human race or individual people whatsoever. It's just typical of our pomposity as a species that we're prone to giving ourselves special status and believing that because there are differences from one individual to another that we are all somehow some sort of miracle. We're more complex than most of the other species on the planet, but our sentience and capability for introspection is guilty of leading us to flights of fancy, including those in which we centre ourselves at the existence of all things.

We're a species of utterly pointless talking monkeys who inhabit a planet that is a quirk of biochemical accident. On face value that alone is a remarkable set of circumstances, and I've no doubt that any dominant species that found itself coming about under those circumstances would be prone to regarding itself as special, but in reality it just is nothing more than a happy coincidence that we happen to be the main beneficiaries of. The entire human race suffers from a degree of 'main character' syndrome. You only need to look at things like religious faith to see it.

46 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The reason I exist is because my old man impregnated my maw, just like millions of other folk's dad's have impregnated their maws (steady now). It isn't any more complicated than that.

It is. The genetic sequence combination required to create you exactly as you are is by far the most unlikely thing that will ever occur in your life time.

Well, with the exception of Dundee ever winning a major trophy again.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've had numerous dreams/illusions where I'm living through someone else's eyes. I even spent a day in Ibiza being someone else everytime I closed my eyes. What a fucking day, btw.

On 28/01/2023 at 18:55, DA Baracus said:

To me It's an absolute mindfuck. I know that folk say that before you were born there was nothing and after you die there will be nothing, but it's just so hard to get your mind around it, or at least for me it is.

I cannot comprehend an eternity of nothingness, of never existing ever again. My mind cannot get it, I can't understand the reality of it.

Therefore I answer 'yes' to the thread title.

On 28/01/2023 at 19:18, DA Baracus said:

Nah, nothing like that. You're not getting me at all.

I mean I can't grasp the total nothingness of it. I cannot comprehend nothing forever. I just can't wrap my mind around it. I'm struggling to explain it, but never existing ever again messes with my head.

I feel you, and I think I know where you're coming from. It is by far and away my biggest fear. 

On 28/01/2023 at 19:49, RossBFaeDundee said:

A few years ago, absolutely, the thought was my anxious obsession. I'm still sad that at some point I'll not be able to know or learn things anymore, and see my family grow and change.

Anxious obsession sounds about right for me in the past. 

On 28/01/2023 at 21:44, Honest Saints Fan said:

Of actual dying, no. I've pretty much accepted I won't live until retirement. Might not even make 40 (I'm 32). 

Scares me more the impact it will have on the rest of my family. 

Apologies, but what makes you think that? 

14 hours ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I used to be pretty bad for this in my 20s and it used to effect me lying in bed at night where my brain would rotate it over and over to the point it would mean I wouldn't sleep all night. It honestly petrified me, and the thought of nothingness is horrendous but in a similar way to you I don't believe in any god or afterlife so logically my brain knows that nothingness is the probable outcome.

I dont suffer as much with it these days and found coping mechanisms for sleeping to take my mind off it which has helped allot.

Christ that sounds exactly like me a couple of years ago, a few things kicked it off but the end result was me feeling absolutely crippled with anxiety, being in bed when it was dark was the absolute worst, genuinely the worst period of my life. 

I can't remember what snapped me out of it, but I'm always worried about a relapse to how I felt. I had to have a long hard think about clicking on this thread. 

13 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

It is. The genetic sequence combination required to create you exactly as you are is by far the most unlikely thing that will ever occur in your life time.

Well, with the exception of Dundee ever winning a major trophy again.

Being reincarnated as something/somebody else is only comforting If I know about it - If we believe in reincarnation then this is probably not our first rodeo yet we remember nothing of previous lives and so doesn't make me fear death less.  

P.S. I hope you came back as a Jambo for that last comment!  

You can fry your head thinking about this stuff when you consider how small the time period everyone is alive is on a planet that's billions of years old and where it came from, lot of good points, agree with the "selfish" point about not getting to see the end being quite a big thing and with the OP in general.

For me it's the absolute breakneck pace at which time seems to go by as you get older which is scariest part of death / dying, think having turned 40 last year has brought mortality to the front of my mind. I know the Billy Connolly line about life being the longest thing you'll do, but it's nearly 30 years since I started secondary school and that and other things from the mid 90s don't seem long ago at all. Add that amount of time on again and I'm approaching 70 and into the endgame (if I make it that far).  Time seemed almost infinite when I was a child / teenager but the clock is definitely counting down now.

Maybe I should go to jail, slow things down a bit.

Not that bothered about the conceptual thought of death, but I certainly hope it isnt the lingering one my old man had (pancreatic cancer).

My issue is more with the body failing - I have always been really active, done loads of sport etc but my leg joints (hips, knees in particular) are starting to fail - had one new hip 10 years ago.

When I see these people hirpling around the supermarket or on mobility scooters, I want to put them out their misery and cant contemplate a "life" like that.

Last point - most people dont want to think about death (some like to think of afterlife etc, each to their own) but many people, toward the end, are just tired and are ok with the thought of not waking up to "another day of this shite".

The fear of actual death is not a problem for me, it's the fear of getting there.

Also that fear of getting there is hit so hard on loved ones.

As some skinhead said once 'Even death is not to be feared, if one lives wisely'