Are you afraid of dying/death?

Are you afraid of death/dying?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not bothered about death, myself. It is shite losing friends, family, loved ones and just general good cuntos that pass before you.

They live on in our memories, so best to think about the good times and don't dwell on things you couldn't change. Easier said than done sometimes.

We are only remembered by those left behind so best to make a decent fist of things while you can. Again, easier said than done at times. 

16 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

To me It's an absolute mindfuck. I know that folk say that before you were born there was nothing and after you die there will be nothing, but it's just so hard to get your mind around it, or at least for me it is.

I cannot comprehend an eternity of nothingness, of never existing ever again. My mind cannot get it, I can't understand the reality of it.

Therefore I answer 'yes' to the thread title.

You really need to listen to the Nightwish track - The Greatest Show on Earth - there are two bits in it that help to explain things at the 5.20 minute mark and the 16.30 mark.

If you really want to f**k with your head start thinking about co incidents. If you father had not pumped your mother that night you would not be here likewise if they had not met the night they did,  or if their parents had not had sex that night etc etc backwards in time. 

I used to be really afraid of dying, the thought of eternity of nothingness scared the shit out of me but as I have got older you come to accept the inevitably of it and make the most of what you have.  There is no escaping death so you just have to accept it and embrace the time you have.

You are here for a brief time only it is up to the individual to do what they can to get the most out of life, there is no point lying on your death bed thinking I wish I had done such and such when I had the chance. Grab life by the balls and enjoy it and if possible leave your mark.

Edited by Elric

I am not bothered about being dead. I’ll be dead and will have absolutely no knowledge of it.

I am more worried about the variety of ways that I come to be dead though. If I could guarantee that I’d just go to bed and not wake up, painless and quick, I wouldn’t care. I worry about stuff like drowning, or being murdered etc. I just don’t want it to be drawn out and terrifying.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I am not afraid of dying. Any time will do, I don’t mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There’s no reason for it. You’ve got to go sometime.

If you put that to music I think you could have a hit on your hands.

tbh this thread is coming at a funny time, its something that's weighed on me increasingly over the last few weeks. in a few months ill be the same age my fiancee Amanda was when she was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer, and she only survived for 2 years after the diagnosis.

it wasnt exactly pretty to watch but they just hit her with increasingly strong doses of morphine and valium towards the end.

I'll try to deal with it the same way she did; one of the last times she spoke to me and her family in the weeks before she died she literally said "Ok. So I'll be dead soon. Woohoo! *two thumbs up*".

i get what you mean and in theory the closest approximation or refernce point we have is a deep sleep, although even at that we dream, but my consciousness will eventually just... end. *metallica guitar riff* and time marches on, on, on, on.

i guess we might not ever get to have a single point of consciousness again?

i like the thought of getting to see amanda/amanda's spooky ghost spirit at some point, so maybe Time And The Universe will do some cool unravelling and unfolding thing where I get to live almost the exact same life again in, oh, lets just say 400 billion years, but this time around there'll be a weird memory that makes me drag her to the A&E in enough time for it to make a difference, or better yet her body remembers and does some fancy DNA repairs to itself that stop it happening altogether. (note to self: put money into bitcoin while its affordable and cash out as soon as Elon Musk gets involved.)

Whatever the case, Amanda knows what happens now, one way or another. Or she doesn't know, which is fine too, I suppose. I'll find out too, someday.

at no point have i ever hit full on suicidal thoughts (and given the subject matter i would STRONGLY ADVISE giving the samaritans a call if any of you feel the need) but i 100% have hit a point where, more days than not, there's a feeling that life has peaked, i didnt even realise or appreciate that fact properly, and its all downhill from here on out. just going through the motions at this point.

on the better days i recognise that it's not quite a write off yet.

that trainspotting 2 line comes to mind occasionally and bothers me; if you gave me 2 years to live i could probably think of plenty to do with that time, but 20? 30?

Watched my dad die a long drawn out death,bowel cancer did for him. That's my fear of dying, not the death bit but the manner of it. Hope the government has enough guts to vote for assisted suicide. We treat our pets better than we do people. I know I wouldn't let my dog suffer.

I'm firmly in the no afterlife camp and not scared of dying but I do hope when it comes though that I've enough time to say my goodbyes.

Rather than worry about dying I feel blessed to have been alive at this time, great music, TV, films, cars, internet, travelling by plane to the sun for holidays and not having to sign up to WW11 like my Grandad and feel lucky because he only lost one arm.

On 4 August 1842, a law was passed that stopped women and children under ten years from working underground in mines in Britain. Before this law was passed, it was common for whole families to work together underground to earn enough money for the family to live on, kids worked in factories, swept chimneys and were little slaves if you were born poor, glad I missed that era.

Glad I was born in Scotland in 1963 and not Vietnam, anywhere in Africa or a host of other countries.

When I was born, Dundee had beat Anderlecht the day before and were now in the semi finals of the European Cup, I think I may have been a jinx since but I wouldn't swap them for any other team

In short, a lot of things are shit but we've been on this lump at the right time, and we'll be leaving it around the right time if Greta is correct. .

I read Bill Bryson's book A Short History Of Nearly Everything and it has some good stuff in it.

“Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you. We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death that a significant number of our atoms - up to a billion for each of us, it has been suggested - probably once belonged to Shakespeare.
A billion more each came from Buddha and Genghis Khan and Beethoven, and any other historical figure you care to name.
So we are all reincarnations - though short-lived ones. When we die, our atoms will disassemble and move off to find new uses elsewhere - as part of a leaf or other human being or drop of dew.”

Looks like some of you may get to meet up with Amanda at some point @Thistle_do_nicely

On 28/01/2023 at 20:55, DA Baracus said:

To me It's an absolute mindfuck...

As long as it's quick and it's clean no problem. Something long and painful I'd definitely rather avoid. Was in the affected part of Japan for the 2011 earthquake ten stories up in a rather old office building and definitely thought I was soon to be a goner. The violence with which the room was moving about had to be experienced to be believed and it went on for what seemed like over a minute. Once I came to terms with what was unfolding I just relaxed and felt serene about it. This is where it ends, bring it on. Hopefully I'll be like that again when the time actually comes.

After it was all over I found all the Japanese knew the drill a lot better than I did and were sitting on the floor in the corridor with their backs against the wall. One of them asked "Are you OK?" and I said with a smile "you see me walking don't you" and then this wee lassie from Tokyo just started screaming her lungs out as they all seemed to snap out of a trance at the same time and we all slowly started figuring out how to get the hell out of there... 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Im terrified.

ill never come to terms with the fact im going to die. im most scared of being told i only have a certain amount of time left.

i work alone everyday which gives me a lot of time to think and ill think about it until i get a sick shudder.

im sure i am some kind of ****path. i only care about myself and my immediate family and ond or two friends and have very little feeling about tragic events in the news.

at the same time i would do anything to help anyone and i think and hope i am a nice person.

I worry about dying a lot.