Are you afraid of dying/death?

Are you afraid of death/dying?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To me It's an absolute mindfuck. I know that folk say that before you were born there was nothing and after you die there will be nothing, but it's just so hard to get your mind around it, or at least for me it is.

I cannot comprehend an eternity of nothingness, of never existing ever again. My mind cannot get it, I can't understand the reality of it.

Therefore I answer 'yes' to the thread title.

Edited by DA Baracus

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

To me It's an absolute mindfuck. I know that folk say that before you were born there was nothing and after you die there will be nothing, but it's just so hard to get your mind around it, or at least for me it is.

I cannot comprehend an eternity of nothingness, of never existing ever again. My mind cannot get it, I can't understand the reality of it.

Therefore I answer 'yes' to the thread title.

You've been in the exact same state before, prior to being conceived.

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in any sort of afterlife or ridiculous human inventions like possessing a 'spirit', so I have no concerns about death other than the dying part. 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

You've been in the exact same state before, prior to being conceived.

I'm an atheist and I don't believe in any sort of afterlife or ridiculous human inventions like possessing a 'spirit', so I have no concerns about death other than the dying part. 

Aye, that's what I said. I too don't believe in any gods or afterlife, but it's the immense brain twisting incomprehensible thought of it that makes me afraid of death.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, that's what I said. I too don't believe in any gods or afterlife, but it's the immense brain twisting incomprehensible thought of it that makes me afraid of death.

Fair enough, but I'm honestly not sure what you find so disconcerting about it. The universe doesn't give a single shiny shite about you or me, functioned perfectly well before we were ever thought of, and will continue on it's merry way long after we're gone, so I don't view being dead as anything more complex or profound than just returning to the state of things before I was born. 

I mean, if you have serious main character syndrome, or suspect that the world only exists inside your own brain Matrix style, then I could see why you might struggle a bit, but otherwise I really don't understand it.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Fair enough, but I'm honestly not sure what you find so disconcerting about it. The universe doesn't give a single shiny shite about you or me, functioned perfectly well before we were ever thought of, and will continue on it's merry way long after we're gone, so I don't view being dead as anything more complex or profound than just returning to the state of things before I was born. 

I mean, if you have serious main character syndrome, or suspect that the world only exists inside your own brain Matrix style, then I could see why you might struggle a bit, but otherwise I really don't understand it.

Nah, nothing like that. You're not getting me at all.

I mean I can't grasp the total nothingness of it. I cannot comprehend nothing forever. I just can't wrap my mind around it. I'm struggling to explain it, but never existing ever again messes with my head.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I mean I can't grasp the total nothingness of it. I cannot comprehend nothing forever. I just can't wrap my mind around it. I'm struggling to explain it, but never existing ever again messes with my head.

You’re just atoms bumping into other atoms and those atoms will continue to bump into other atoms after your death.

Not entirely sure if that’s reassuring or not but there you go.

A few years ago, absolutely, the thought was my anxious obsession. I'm still sad that at some point I'll not be able to know or learn things anymore, and see my family grow and change.

Despite all that though, it doesn't scare me as much as contemplating immortality though. That sounds like true hell, losing everything you've ever cared about and witnessing entropy in real time. Ever since I realised that, death's been a far less scary prospect. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm pretty young and perhaps that opinion will change with time (as all things do inevitably), but it doesn't consume me near as much as when I first really started thinking about it.

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There will be total nothingness but you won't be in any way aware of it. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to the sweet release of death and my tiny existence ending.

10 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

A few years ago, absolutely, the thought was my anxious obsession. I'm still sad that at some point I'll not be able to know or learn things anymore, and see my family grow and change.

Despite all that though, it doesn't scare me as much as contemplating immortality though. That sounds like true hell, losing everything you've ever cared about and witnessing entropy in real time. Ever since I realised that, death's been a far less scary prospect. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm pretty young and perhaps that opinion will change with time (as all things do inevitably), but it doesn't consume me near as much as when I first really started thinking about it.

There Can Be Only One Highlander GIF