Warriors vs Sons

Outcome?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/23 at 15:00

On 30/01/2023 at 15:46, The Moonster said:

What's gone on previously is irrelevant here, Stenny will be a different team and whilst I fully expect us to keep things tight I also expect them to trouble us in ways they haven't previously. I don't think Faz is far away from trying big Rusty and Wallace together up top but I'm not sure this is the game for it - midfield will be key and if Joe McKee is anywhere near fitness I'd be starting him in place of Love. 

I'd be happy to see Love dropped, Rusty up front and Wallace playing off him. I don't think Ally has come even close to delivering what he was expected to when we signed him. 

58 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd be happy to see Love dropped, Rusty up front and Wallace playing off him. I don't think Ally has come even close to delivering what he was expected to when we signed him. 

I'd agree we should probably shuffle the pack, with Love dropping out the 11.

For me, he's largely delivered as expected - inconsistency peppered with a few goals. There's also no telling what impact the late Alex Lowry's tragic passing had on Ally.

I don't expect Faz to change a winning team, but I do agree that Love dropping out would probably be the one switch I'd make. It's not that he's been bad, it's just that he's not made much of an impact after a couple of good showings off the bench.

I suspect the battering at Forthbank might deter Faz from playing Wallace and McLean at this stage. But I'd be pleased to see Finlay Gray come back in. He's been unfortunate in that Blair/McKee and Div Wilson have been undroppable. But with McKee out Gray probably deserves a chance to cement his place in the side again. His energy and drive is something no other player in the squad has.

Anyone else slightly concerned about how long McKee has now been out? We have seen in the past that he struggles to get back to full fitness/sharpness after injuries etc and I worry he won't be able to influence our season like we hoped, and like he was before he picked up the knock.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I don't expect Faz to change a winning team, but I do agree that Love dropping out would probably be the one switch I'd make. It's not that he's been bad, it's just that he's not made much of an impact after a couple of good showings off the bench.

I suspect the battering at Forthbank might deter Faz from playing Wallace and McLean at this stage. But I'd be pleased to see Finlay Gray come back in. He's been unfortunate in that Blair/McKee and Div Wilson have been undroppable. But with McKee out Gray probably deserves a chance to cement his place in the side again. His energy and drive is something no other player in the squad has.

Really?

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

IMO Ryan Blair has been our most influential midfielder and he has become the effective fulcrum for the team.  He has also shown a great degree of consistency, something which I think is often overlooked, and which is ahead of the others you mention.

Re Joe McKee, he is still a very useful player but he is not now the guy we had first time around, and I'm struggling to recall a notable dead ball this season.  Gray has a brilliant engine as you say but his energy sometimes needs harnessed. Wilson has taken his chance well and currently deserves his place.

As for Ally Love, just concentrating solely on playing football minus the histrionics and we'll all benefit.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

Anyone else slightly concerned about how long McKee has now been out? We have seen in the past that he struggles to get back to full fitness/sharpness after injuries etc and I worry he won't be able to influence our season like we hoped, and like he was before he picked up the knock.

Depth is an issue. I think that Blair and either Wilson or Gray are absolutely fine. The problem would be if we lose another midfielder through injury, because that robs us of any cover unless we push Carswell into midfield. And I'd rather we kept him at the back because he's been playing very well this season. 

48 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Re Joe McKee, he is still a very useful player but he is not now the guy we had first time around, and I'm struggling to recall a notable dead ball this season.  Gray has a brilliant engine as you say but his energy sometimes needs harnessed. Wilson has taken his chance well and currently deserves his place.

I'm not saying I would throw him back in at this stage. The guys are there on merit but he would be a very good option to have, based on his showing at the start of this season.

Anyone who know me will back up that I was far from convinced after last season and was keen to move him on (similarly to my opinion on Carswell at the time) but I felt this season in his run of matches he was pretty influential and showed that there is a lot more to his game than set plays or dead balls.

Edited by squeezebox-son

Blair plays in a role that he's not really noticed if he does it well. It's notable that he's probably the only player in the squad that I would struggle to recognise in a photograph. That, to me, means he is doing a good job.

15 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

And yet Finlay Gray replaced him against East Fife and we won 2-0

Finlay Gray does a very different job than Ryan Blair and it was McKee who dropped back to fill in Blairs role - fine when you're playing utter horseshit like East Fife but if we went without Blair every week I'd be confident in a decline in our results. I'd also say the phrase "undroppable" simply refers to their performances for me - if Blair or Wilson were dropped this week due to their performances it would be unfair - it doesn't mean we can't win games without them. Blair has started every game he's been available for, so I think Faz would agree he's pretty essential to the team. 

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Really?

50 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I'd say anyone in front of the defence was droppable. No-one has particularly stood out as being essential to the team 

Yeah, I would say so. Not undroppable in the way Dom Thomas was. But undroppable in that they have came in and played consistently well, and don't deserve dropped. I think if we were, out of the blue, to bench Div Wilson tomorrow he could feel aggrieved. And the same went for McKee when he was fit and goes for Ryan Blair. Just as it went for Finlay Gray when he was starting every week.

I'd agree with Moonster on Blair as well. I think he's one of our most important players and nobody can slot into the role he plays without us changing the way we play. Even ignoring McGeever's red card, we missed him massively up at Forfar where they dictated the play, and Albion Rovers dominated our midfield at Cliftonhill when he only came on as a sub. East Fife was very much the exception rather than the rule. And they were woeful that day.

Ryan Blair is about as unfashionable and unexciting as it gets. And his proneness to clumsy yellow cards will bite him on the arse at some stage when he picks up two in one game. But if he was to miss six weeks or something through injury our form would suffer imo.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Yeah, I would say so. Not undroppable in the way Dom Thomas was. But undroppable in that they have came in and played consistently well, and don't deserve dropped. I think if we were, out of the blue, to bench Div Wilson tomorrow he could feel aggrieved. And the same went for McKee when he was fit and goes for Ryan Blair. Just as it went for Finlay Gray when he was starting every week.

I'd agree with Moonster on Blair as well. I think he's one of our most important players and nobody can slot into the role he plays without us changing the way we play. Even ignoring McGeever's red card, we missed him massively up at Forfar where they dictated the play, and Albion Rovers dominated our midfield at Cliftonhill when he only came on as a sub. East Fife was very much the exception rather than the rule. And they were woeful that day.

Ryan Blair is about as unfashionable and unexciting as it gets. And his proneness to clumsy yellow cards will bite him on the arse at some stage when he picks up two in one game. But if he was to miss six weeks or something through injury our form would suffer imo.

Fair enough. I guess I've interpreted undroppable in a different way than you meant it. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Finlay Gray does a very different job than Ryan Blair and it was McKee who dropped back to fill in Blairs role - fine when you're playing utter horseshit like East Fife but if we went without Blair every week I'd be confident in a decline in our results. 

Funnily enough, the very man we’re discussing as being undroppable from the starting 11 of the team sitting atop the table came with some seriously honkin’ reviews from fans of the team referred to as “horseshit” above. Fitba eh.

Too much writing in this thread for my liking.

Another win for Gary Naysmith's Stenhousemuir incoming. I'll say 3-0 to The Mighty, Matty Yates getting both goals.

The usual venue and time if any of you internet hooligans want a pre match dust up. 

23 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Too much writing in this thread for my liking.

Another win for Gary Naysmith's Stenhousemuir incoming. I'll say 3-0 to The Mighty, Matty Yates getting both goals.

The usual venue and time if any of you internet hooligans want a pre match dust up. 

To be fair, it turned into a debate which should've taken place on our own thread 😂

Still, you guys are at home so think it should have been 0-3? 😬