£31 v £30 Rangers v St Johnstone

Both charging too much for the dross on display. Saints to have zero shots on target but CD to hail (singular) positive performance in losing 4-0. Oh, and one out of three players singled out for praise last week will start the game. And it’ll be four at the back, with maybe one more added in just for the sake of consistency.

12 hours ago, Kyle said:

Everyone buzzing for this one I see. 

Fair play to any saints fans going along to this. Have to think it’ll be a comfortable home win and then us reverting back to a back 5 thereafter. 

Even by our standards in Glasgow, expect a low turnout today. Unless you have a record you're trying to keep, I can't see anything appetising about going to this especially at the price point and time of year.

Surely we stick to 4-4-2 for this given it contained Rangers pretty well last time?

Matthews 

Brown Mitchell Considine Montgomery 

Wright Philips Hallberg Wotherspoon 

May Clark 

Imagine it will be Gordon over Mitchell and MacPherson over one of the midfielders. 

Horrible feeling a drubbing will see either the 4-4-2 binned or see someone like Philips hung out to dry. Think we'll see Bair get some game time today too.

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

Horrible feeling a drubbing will see either the 4-4-2 binned or see someone like Philips hung out to dry. Think we'll see Bair get some game time today too.

Most likely, and that's the annoying thing - we're trying something new in two matches against Rangers. We should have been doing this against Dundee United or Aberdeen earlier in the month instead of playing the most timid, negative setup you've ever seen that was doomed to failure before the game even began.

Bring back Denny Johnstone for this one.

Just a reminder of our line up for the game in which he scored and we won 3-1 at Ibrox...

Clark

Foster, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Tanser

Alston, Scougall, Paton, Millar, Craig

Johnstone

Subs who came on were Spoony, Cummins and Kyle McClean.

It was hardly a classic Rangers team but how that midfield and forward line in particular managed that I'll never know.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Bring back Denny Johnstone for this one.

Just a reminder of our line up for the game in which he scored and we won 3-1 at Ibrox...

Clark

Foster, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Tanser

Alston, Scougall, Paton, Millar, Craig

Johnstone

Subs who came on were Spoony, Cummins and Kyle McClean.

It was hardly a classic Rangers team but how that midfield and forward line in particular managed that I'll never know.

Simple.

Pates was an amazing player.

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

4-3-3 by the looks of it but able to switch into the 5 if the manager chooses. 

Was more a 4-4-1-1 last week but suppose they’re practically the same thing. 

Feels only fair to point out in my original post I forgot about the existence of Alex Mitchell. Nearly perfect 

May or Clark is an interesting one. The former will give you so much running but we know the ball isn't going to stick and he's not going to make it hard for the centre backs when we have the ball.

But I've seen nothing from Nicky Clark to suggest he's remotely interested in doing the sort of running May does and the worry is it lets their CBs carry the ball well into our half unopposed. Hallberg becomes important but he can't break the shape, as that was catastrophically bad at Celtic Park, when it was far too easy to pass between our front two and essentially turn it into eight versus eight.

Putting aside the result, I guess what you are looking for is we protect wide areas well and are more compact in front of the defence with two players there.

Hopefully some positives then we can move into a huge game on Wednesday night.

Historically we do actually create chances at Ibrox but we always fail to take them, I'm ok with Clark starting this one as he's probably the most likely to finish a half chance that comes his way.