Sons vs Rose

What's the outcome?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What's the outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/01/23 at 15:00

There was a Bonnyrigg fan with the reddest face and highest pitch voice I've ever heard going Tonto at the ref at full time for some reason. Which has been highlight of an utterly dreadful game of football.

Cracking goal by Wylde, three points, clean sheet though. That'll do.

Worrying how pedestrian we looked after getting the goal. Only 1 proper chance after that and the visiting keeper did well to get a strong hand on an awkward shot after Orsi did well to take advantage of slack defending.

I know that it's difficult to change a winning team, but it's time for Stevie to try something to make us more dangerous going forward.

I'm too cold to give my full views on that just now but that was a very poor game of football. 

Felt sorry for Wallace just chasing hopeless causes all game. Thought Carswell or Buchanan would have been man of the match though I saw Long getting presented with something at the end of the game, don't actually remember him making any saves?

Carswell, Buchanan or Wallace my MOTM. Buchanan was strolling it and always assured, Carswell made loads of interventions and clearances and Wallace chased, harried and caused a nuisance of himself all game. Really feel we'd get the best of Wallace in a 2. Not a great game. Bonnyrigg offered little and made loads of unforced errors. The impossibly skinny number 14 striker for Rose had a nice touch but the heart of a mouse and was out jumped all match by guys 18 inches shorter than him. Few agricultural tackles going in from the non leaguers. Pitch was cutting up badly and looks in poor shape. 3 points and a clean sheet is all that matters. Don't think that one will make the end of season DVD compilation.

Winning ugly is the sign of league winners. We invited Bonnyrigg onto us after taking the lead but no complaints overall. Div Wilson was man of the match for me - he barely put a foot wrong all afternoon and linked up well with Kalvin Orsi down the right.

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

I'm too cold to give my full views on that just now but that was a very poor game of football. 

Felt sorry for Wallace just chasing hopeless causes all game. Thought Carswell or Buchanan would have been man of the match though I saw Long getting presented with something at the end of the game, don't actually remember him making any saves?

C&G Player of the month for December 

That was an ugly game of football on a pitch that looked an absolute nightmare for the players. I don't think I can ever remember seeing so many dodgy first touches, woefully misplaced passes and misjudgements because of the ball not moving like you'd expect.

Having said all that, I thought we merited the win. There were more good performances in white than there were in red, and Bonnyrigg looked fairly rudderless when it came to trying to break us down.

I thought Bonnyrigg set their stall out from the start and, after a few batterings, it looked almost like an 8-0-2 they were playing at times. In saying that both teams completely bypassed their midfield far too often for a good game of football to ever break out.

Our goal was probably the only moment of quality in the whole match. Neat play from (I think) Div Wilson, a good delivery from the impressive Kalvin Orsi, and a really tidy finish on his weaker foot from Gregg Wylde.

I like it when Wylde scores. Not only do we not lose when it happens, but he also looks like a guy who really savours scoring a goal. He's scored some good ones for us too and, after looking like he'd become the forgotten man a few months ago, he's made himself an important part of the team.

After that we did the usual of inviting Bonnyrigg onto us and looking to hit on the break. The issue being that we had no quality at all hitting on the break, and Bonnyrigg looked like they weren't quite sure what to do to break us down. It was a bit like watching Jim Duffy's Sons side.

Kevin Smith showed a few nice touches and, despite his time at the Rock being a disappointment, he's always been a player I've rated. But he looks head and shoulders above anyone else in the Bonnyrigg squad in terms of his football brain.

It was basically the same in the second-half. Bonnyrigg had a decent amount of the ball, but had next to no real gameplan when it came to causing a threat. 

We should've wrapped up the points when Neil Martyniuk went to shepherd the ball out of play. Before forgetting what the white line meant and having his pocket picked by Kalvin Orsi who squared for Div Wilson, but a mixture of a defender and Paddy Martin bailed him out. And that was basically that. Save for Martin McNiff blasting a 35-yard piledriver goalwards that I thought for a glorious second might've hit the net.

It wasn't pretty. But three points are all the matter.

In terms of performances, there wasn't a great deal of quality - but also very few players played poorly. Gregor Buchanan was excellent again at the back and, by and large, if he plays well then we win.

Martin McNiff's good recent form continued and I felt incredibly sorry for Ryan Wallace, who worked himself into the ground with seriously limited service. Kalvin Orsi looked a handful and is probably the most exciting player we have at the minute. I love the chaos he seems to cause when he starts charging at full-backs.

Big Rusty McLean really looked the part when he came on. Winning some fouls, putting himself about and linking play. As others have said I'd like to see him and Wallace together - but will Faz risk changing a sturdy shape that's served us well this far?

As for Bonnyrigg? I've said a few times that there are teams struggling who I don't think are all that bad. I said it about Forfar back in November and Albion Rovers every time we've played them.

But I can absolutely see why Bonnyrigg are where they are.

It's not for a lack of effort. But my God are they lacking quality all over the park.

They set up to contain us today, but then almost sold a goal making a mess of defending a high ball in the first minute. Their midfield with the likes of Johnny Stewart and Chris Kane had very little about it and whilst Josh Grigor and Kerr Young played relatively well. They both looked like they had a mistake in them.

Dean Brett occasionally showed flashes of being a threat down the right and, as I said, I still like Kevin Smith. But there's just a complete lack of matchwinning quality there. 

I was convinced at all by Alieu Faye who reminded me a lot of big Robert Jones in the way he looked like he didn't want to hurt anyone (or himself) to try and get on the end of something. The amount of times he misjudged headers or pulled out of aerial challenges was genuinely quite frightening. Zander Murray is going to have to bring his form from the Lowland League into this team, and fast, to avoid 10th imo.

Just as they wouldn't have feared Cowdenbeath last year, I don't think the HL/LL champions will fear Bonnyrigg. They are scrappers and they'll win a few games between now and the end of the season with their battling qualities. But an on-form side from the league below will really fancy their chances in May if it's Bonnyrigg they face.

For the first time I think we're seeing the league table start to take shape. It looks to between us and the Binos for the title. We've known that for a while. I think Annan Athletic, Forfar Athletic and Elgin City will occupy 3-5. The rest will occupy the bottom half places - with Stenny probably best of the rest.

Looking at the teams down there (at the moment) they all have a bit more about them Bonnyrigg do at present.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was an ugly game of football on a pitch that looked an absolute nightmare for the players. I don't think I can ever remember seeing so many dodgy first touches, woefully misplaced passes and misjudgements because of the ball not moving like you'd expect.

Having said all that, I thought we merited the win. There were more good performances in white than there were in red, and Bonnyrigg looked fairly rudderless when it came to trying to break us down.

I thought Bonnyrigg set their stall out from the start and, after a few batterings, it looked almost like an 8-0-2 they were playing at times. In saying that both teams completely bypassed their midfield far too often for a good game of football to ever break out.

Our goal was probably the only moment of quality in the whole match. Neat play from (I think) Div Wilson, a good delivery from the impressive Kalvin Orsi, and a really tidy finish on his weaker foot from Gregg Wylde.

I like it when Wylde scores. Not only do we not lose when it happens, but he also looks like a guy who really savours scoring a goal. He's scored some good ones for us too and, after looking like he'd become the forgotten man a few months ago, he's made himself an important part of the team.

After that we did the usual of inviting Bonnyrigg onto us and looking to hit on the break. The issue being that we had no quality at all hitting on the break, and Bonnyrigg looked like they weren't quite sure what to do to break us down. It was a bit like watching Jim Duffy's Sons side.

Kevin Smith showed a few nice touches and, despite his time at the Rock being a disappointment, he's always been a player I've rated. But he looks head and shoulders above anyone else in the Bonnyrigg squad in terms of his football brain.

It was basically the same in the second-half. Bonnyrigg had a decent amount of the ball, but had next to no real gameplan when it came to causing a threat. 

We should've wrapped up the points when Neil Martyniuk went to shepherd the ball out of play. Before forgetting what the white line meant and having his pocket picked by Kalvin Orsi who squared for Div Wilson, but a mixture of a defender and Paddy Martin bailed him out. And that was basically that. Save for Martin McNiff blasting a 35-yard piledriver goalwards that I thought for a glorious second might've hit the net.

It wasn't pretty. But three points are all the matter.

In terms of performances, there wasn't a great deal of quality - but also very few players played poorly. Gregor Buchanan was excellent again at the back and, by and large, if he plays well then we win.

Martin McNiff's good recent form continued and I felt incredibly sorry for Ryan Wallace, who worked himself into the ground with seriously limited service. Kalvin Orsi looked a handful and is probably the most exciting player we have at the minute. I love the chaos he seems to cause when he starts charging at full-backs.

Big Rusty McLean really looked the part when he came on. Winning some fouls, putting himself about and linking play. As others have said I'd like to see him and Wallace together - but will Faz risk changing a sturdy shape that's served us well this far?

As for Bonnyrigg? I've said a few times that there are teams struggling who I don't think are all that bad. I said it about Forfar back in November and Albion Rovers every time we've played them.

But I can absolutely see why Bonnyrigg are where they are.

It's not for a lack of effort. But my God are they lacking quality all over the park.

They set up to contain us today, but then almost sold a goal making a mess of defending a high ball in the first minute. Their midfield with the likes of Johnny Stewart and Chris Kane had very little about it and whilst Josh Grigor and Kerr Young played relatively well. They both looked like they had a mistake in them.

Dean Brett occasionally showed flashes of being a threat down the right and, as I said, I still like Kevin Smith. But there's just a complete lack of matchwinning quality there. 

I was convinced at all by Alieu Faye who reminded me a lot of big Robert Jones in the way he looked like he didn't want to hurt anyone (or himself) to try and get on the end of something. The amount of times he misjudged headers or pulled out of aerial challenges was genuinely quite frightening. Zander Murray is going to have to bring his form from the Lowland League into this team, and fast, to avoid 10th imo.

Just as they wouldn't have feared Cowdenbeath last year, I don't think the HL/LL champions will fear Bonnyrigg. They are scrappers and they'll win a few games between now and the end of the season with their battling qualities. But an on-form side from the league below will really fancy their chances in May if it's Bonnyrigg they face.

For the first time I think we're seeing the league table start to take shape. It looks to between us and the Binos for the title. We've known that for a while. I think Annan Athletic, Forfar Athletic and Elgin City will occupy 3-5. The rest will occupy the bottom half places - with Stenny probably best of the rest.

Looking at the teams down there (at the moment) they all have a bit more about them Bonnyrigg do at present.

No word of a lie, Clarko_son said to me in the car after the game that the Rose forward reminded him of Robert Jones, in an unflattering comparison. Jones being the benchmark for tall, useless forwards.

He had a bit of skill and technical ability with the ball at his feet but apart from that he was absolutely hopeless. When I first saw him naturally you think his height is going to cause a problem. Fairly certain straight from kick off they put a high ball out to him and McNiff won it easily, kinda set the tone after that. 

Just as a side note, when McNiff hit that shot I briefly thought I was about to witness one of the best strikes I've seen from a Dumbarton player. It was probably miles wide based on where it hit the fence but we can dream