Their Brains Have Turned To Porridge!

On 29/01/2023 at 13:43, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

When you're a normal guy cruelly punished for your normal, rational pov

FnomaNQaMAAoGcZ.jpeg

2D2721E4-414D-472E-A124-7D10A2584334.thumb.jpeg.cc82ba9cafa2349a504db14428b46d7b.jpeg

In another example, this anecdote about the time Graham kept banging on about trans people in a business meeting definitely doesn’t make him seem like the weird completely fucking unhinged one. 

6 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I know some people talk about not separating the art from the artist but I actually find watching Father Ted quite sad now given how repulsive Linehan has become, especially given Dermot Morgan is no longer with us.

I’m ok with father Ted but IT crowd being a bit more risky I do see a few things that I always presumed were funny as satire and wonder if they were actually his beliefs that he hid behind comedy. 

While it's not a hard line, awful beliefs I can still tolerate but not actions, generally. So I'll still watch and enjoy the film Apocalypto (directed by Mel Gibson) but I get annoyed at folk playing R Kelly or Michael Jackson music.

Edited by FreedomFarter

I was thinking about this when the thread first started and can't now remember the example I had but for me it's if the abuse or more wild views etc are prevalent/wrapped in the creation of the art that decides the separate the art from the artist question. And less so on views, I doubt Clint Eastwood and I have many similar opinions but some of his films, like Richard Jewell, have something really interesting to say about the US that a non conservative would struggle to make. 

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I was thinking about this when the thread first started and can't now remember the example I had but for me it's if the abuse or more wild views etc are prevalent/wrapped in the creation of the art that decides the separate the art from the artist question. And less so on views, I doubt Clint Eastwood and I have many similar opinions but some of his films, like Richard Jewell, have something really interesting to say about the US that a non conservative would struggle to make. 

Mind when Clint went on stage at the Republican convention and had a conversation with an empty chair about the state of the country? Impressively mad stuff.

48 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Ignition by R Kelly is an amazing song but I too cannot enjoy it now that what everyone knew at the time has been confirmed in a court of law.

The other example I gave, Michael Jackson, of course doesn't fit with "confirmed in a court of law". What it is for me there is not that I think people shouldn't listen to his music privately, I'm not going to judge anyone for that. I just don't want his music played publicly where others can't avoid it, such as over the speakers at half time of a football match. 

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Mind when Clint went on stage at the Republican convention and had a conversation with an empty chair about the state of the country? Impressively mad stuff.

That was good, more people should do that

6 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

The other example I gave, Michael Jackson, of course doesn't fit with "confirmed in a court of law". What it is for me there is not that I think people shouldn't listen to his music privately, I'm not going to judge anyone for that. I just don't want his music played publicly where others can't avoid it, such as over the speakers at half time of a football match. 

If someone played ignition (remix) at half time of a football match then it was good, more people should do that

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I’m ok with father Ted but IT crowd being a bit more risky I do see a few things that I always presumed were funny as satire and wonder if they were actually his beliefs that he hid behind comedy. 

I rewatched all episodes of The IT Crowd last year and, whilst I still enjoyed it, felt the same about some things.

Surprisingly though the episode with April isn't that bad, even though the (fairly mild) criticism of it apparently contributed to Linehan going mental.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I rewatched all episodes of The IT Crowd last year and, whilst I still enjoyed it, felt the same about some things.

Surprisingly though the episode with April isn't that bad, even though the (fairly mild) criticism of it apparently contributed to Linehan going mental.

That episode if obviously the one that jumps out.  I also didn’t feel it was that bad,  Denholm for me was always felt the target of the joke.  Had Linehan had his head switched on he could have comfortably argued that, apologies for any offence caused my mistake and moved on.   He couldn’t do that and has just completely spiralled since.   that does leave the question of how he intended the joke to come across. 

Edited by parsforlife

12 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

R Kelly was absolute shite even before we knew he was a Beast.

No he wasn't, trapped in the closet was excellent. 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Tbf all but a handful of sitcoms age awfully as mostly they aren't very funny, just of their time, capturing some sort of zeitgeist in pretty much the same way as the broadest observational standup. Either that or a particular local type of guy like Phoenix Nights or Still Game. It's what makes genuinely interesting sitcoms like it's always sunny so impressive for me.

Was the IT crowd ever really that funny? Ayowade's weird affect and Noel Fielding living in a cupboard? The jokes about the office smoking area being miles away? For me the only parts looking back that were good involved Matt Berry and I'm now wondering if based on the above thesis that's only because he's still doing the same schtick now. There's probably only a couple of British sitcoms from each decade that are still good if you don't look through rose tinted specs.

14 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

No he wasn't, trapped in the closet was excellent. 

Tbf all but a handful of sitcoms age awfully as mostly they aren't very funny, just of their time, capturing some sort of zeitgeist in pretty much the same way as the broadest observational standup. Either that or a particular local type of guy like Phoenix Nights or Still Game. It's what makes genuinely interesting sitcoms like it's always sunny so impressive for me.

Was the IT crowd ever really that funny? Ayowade's weird affect and Noel Fielding living in a cupboard? The jokes about the office smoking area being miles away? For me the only parts looking back that were good involved Matt Berry and I'm now wondering if based on the above thesis that's only because he's still doing the same schtick now. There's probably only a couple of British sitcoms from each decade that are still good if you don't look through rose tinted specs.

Nah, I still like The IT Crowd. Also Red Dwarf (up to season 7) is still great.

Although I've said it before, worth reiterating that Only Fools And Horses is absolutely pish and always has been.

I recently watched Black Books for the first time in ages. I think Linehan only had a writing credit in the first series.

I've been watching the IT Crowd since and I'm two episodes into S2. Two episodes have had warnings so far - one for what I think was calling someone mental (or saying that women like shoes) and one for "stereotypical derogatory depictions of gay people." The problem with that episode is the same as the rest of Linehan's comedy in what I've mentioned I've seen in this post. It's all a bit... obvious.

Punchlines or reveals or increasingly absurd escalations happen and you can see the payoff coming a mile away. But there's always a sense that the joke is too self-aware for it to be spontaneous. I remember watching the final episode when it was shown a few years after the main series and tweeting about this in one of my final evenings' twittering. By that point I'd followed him for a while and seeing him makes jokes about very online people rang somewhat hollow given his constant knowing smugness.

I remember watching the gay episode when it was first shown and nearly dying of laughter. I was 15. We didn't have gay people or the internet when I was growing up so none of the gay stuff stood out to me. Watching that episode today I actually forgot about the gay songs. They have the same smugness problem, only the (closeted) gay guy is the object of the joke the entire time.

I've never seen Father Ted outside of GIFs on here. I'm going to watch that next. I don't know what specifically turned Linehan's brain to mush but his and Jim Spence's tweeting s have the same "well I and by extension you know what common sense tells us is right so I'll just pretend what you're saying is wrong and take it to it's naturally absurd conclusion while pretending not to understand" air about them. At least when he was writing TV shows he attempted to put a punchline in most of the time.

The only R Kelly song I know is I Believe I Can Fly and it's great, so it's a shame his proclivities have spoiled that.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

31 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Maybe Arthur Matthews wrote the funny stuff in Father Ted and you can watch it with a clear conscience...

...unless he's also batshit.

I think the fact that Arthur Matthews wrote 'Toast' proves the first point and negates the second, IMHO...