Their Brains Have Turned To Porridge!

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

The Great Divorcio is taking it well and wants to challenge ‘the head of OFCOM’ to ‘debate’. Wonder if he’s about to get his balls felt for the first time since Billie did a bunk?

ETA - cheers to the Twitter algorithm for punting this shite at me when I only really joined to follow a few mates, a couple of breweries and the Tim Burgess Listening Party. 

Saw a tweet earlier from Fox calling Matthew Sweet a “triple jabbed man sheep”.

One thing that’s weird about these people is that the vast majority of those eligible for vaccinations have had them and moved on. They are obsessing over something that literally everyone has forgotten about. It’s completely mental, the anti-vax nut cases seem determined that any day now the truth will be revealed, Nuremberg, validation will come. It isn’t, they are just hooting in the wind. 

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Seen a tweet from Waters earlier saying he was “consulting his lawyers” or words to that effect, in relation to her. Had no idea who she was or what it was about.

I had no idea who she was either.

The cynic in me thinks it’s an attempt at boosting the sales of TDSOTM 50th anniversary merchandise. 

50 years?

That makes me feel really old. And yes I remember the original album. 

On 28/01/2023 at 04:27, Highland Capital said:

Matt Le Tissier’s Wikipedia page makes for particularly grim reading. In the last three years he has amongst others refused to wear a Black Lives Matter badge and criticised taking the knee, fallen down a complete Covid-conspiracy rabbit hole and compared wearing a mask to the Holocaust, claimed that the media was lying about the Bucha Massacre and questioned whether Christian Eriksen collapsed as a result of the Covid vaccine. It later turned out that Eriksen was not vaccinated. 

He was a well liked figure for years, was a pundit on Sky Sports until 2020 and an ambassador for Southampton but seems to have thrown it all away after completely going off the edge during the pandemic. 

I went to an event last year where the Soccer Saturday guys spoke about their stories. And Le Tissier got more than a few ribs from the other panelist’s for his thoughts 

9 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I would love an explanation on what exactly the "left-wing economic establishment" is.

Well, tbf, you can hardly get more left wing than the London Stock Exchange, the Treasury, international hedge funds and the magic circle of law firms and tax advisors.

Everyone knows all of these institutions start the day with Das Kapital readings.

Liz got sucked into believing the rights culture war bullshit, rather than using it to manipulate others as it was originally intended. The international money markets, the very opposite of left wing institutions, ripped the absolute pish out of her dreadful ideas. Money markets rule, not politicians, and that has been the case fro decades.

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Well, tbf, you can hardly get more left wing than the London Stock Exchange, the Treasury, international hedge funds and the magic circle of law firms and tax advisors.

Everyone knows all of these institutions start the day with Das Kapital readings.

Liz got sucked into believing the rights culture war bullshit, rather than using it to manipulate others as it was originally intended. The international money markets, the very opposite of left wing institutions, ripped the absolute pish out of her dreadful ideas. Money markets rule, not politicians, and that has been the case fro decades.

I have half a suspicion that she might actually be not quite as stupid as to believe this. It’s a pretty decent angle to carve out a career niche as a culture war grifter and the absence of any link to reality at all hasn’t stopped these c***s before

On 05/02/2023 at 18:26, ICTChris said:

Back in the day, plenty of people posted similar views on Hillsborough on this very forum.

I have literally never met anyone who has ever said anything like that about Hillsborough in real life but for a certain type of poster, a certain age and disposition perhaps, it was almost received wisdom. The thread for the recent Champions League final where there were crowd management issues with Liverpool featured plenty of posters on here saying that it eas all bullshit, it was all Liverpool fans fault, same old Scousers. Not much said subsequently when reports into the matter blamed the trouble entirely on the French authorities. 🤷‍♂️ 

Lot of patter i'd never expect to see on here in that thread, was taken aback by it. Pure Kelvin McKenzie rhetoric, which really showed me how much that stuff had seeped through. 

There seems to be a definite correlation between support for Julian Assange and going porridge brained.  Whatever you think of his imprisonment, he seems to have been completely deified by some despite being clearly a deeply odd character.  And then there's the other allegations of him from Sweden which, in a recent Rolling Stone interview, the aforementioned Roger Waters downplayed as simply "fiddling with a couple of women."  MIA is also a big Assange fan and has gone completely crackers in regards to the Covid vaccines.  

I wonder what it is about Assange and those his cause attracts that seems to spin a number of them down some weird rabbit holes.

22 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

There seems to be a definite correlation between support for Julian Assange and going porridge brained.  Whatever you think of his imprisonment, he seems to have been completely deified by some despite being clearly a deeply odd character.  And then there's the other allegations of him from Sweden which, in a recent Rolling Stone interview, the aforementioned Roger Waters downplayed as simply "fiddling with a couple of women."  MIA is also a big Assange fan and has gone completely crackers in regards to the Covid vaccines.  

I wonder what it is about Assange and those his cause attracts that seems to spin a number of them down some weird rabbit holes.

I think it’s a number of things related to Asante. He has always associated with conspiracists but a lot of people backed away from him after the allegations about his conduct came out. That leaves the fully signed up nutters who are happy to explain away what he was accused of and if you are there for that you are there for anything.  In addition celebrities spend their lives surrounded by people telling them how great they are and often taking loads of drugs, neither which serve to insulate anyone from going porridge brained.

Another thread about the people GB News and Neil Oliver are associating with and inviting onto their channel.

On 07/02/2023 at 14:07, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Cue another gut wrenching Division Bell album.

I'd prefer that to the new version of DSOTM that Waters has just recorded, with no guitar solos and him talking all over the instrumental tracks. His spittle-infused rant about how he wrote it, and the other band members were talentless hacks makes me seriously wonder whether he's had some sort of episode.

For context...

“I wrote The Dark Side of the Moon,” a typically feisty Waters asserted. 
“Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ c--p! Of course we were a band, there were four of us, we all contributed – but it’s my project and I wrote it. So… blah!” 
Unsurprisingly, he has nothing good to say about ex-bandmates David Gilmour, Richard Wright and Nick Mason, dismissing their contributions and creative input: “Well, Nick never pretended. But Gilmour and Rick? They can’t write songs, they’ve nothing to say. They are not artists.”
“They have no ideas, not a single one between them,” Waters continued. “They never have had, and that drives them crazy.”

On 30/01/2023 at 23:17, Miguel Sanchez said:

I recently watched Black Books for the first time in ages. I think Linehan only had a writing credit in the first series.

I've been watching the IT Crowd since and I'm two episodes into S2. Two episodes have had warnings so far - one for what I think was calling someone mental (or saying that women like shoes) and one for "stereotypical derogatory depictions of gay people." The problem with that episode is the same as the rest of Linehan's comedy in what I've mentioned I've seen in this post. It's all a bit... obvious.

Punchlines or reveals or increasingly absurd escalations happen and you can see the payoff coming a mile away. But there's always a sense that the joke is too self-aware for it to be spontaneous. I remember watching the final episode when it was shown a few years after the main series and tweeting about this in one of my final evenings' twittering. By that point I'd followed him for a while and seeing him makes jokes about very online people rang somewhat hollow given his constant knowing smugness.

I remember watching the gay episode when it was first shown and nearly dying of laughter. I was 15. We didn't have gay people or the internet when I was growing up so none of the gay stuff stood out to me. Watching that episode today I actually forgot about the gay songs. They have the same smugness problem, only the (closeted) gay guy is the object of the joke the entire time.

I've never seen Father Ted outside of GIFs on here. I'm going to watch that next. I don't know what specifically turned Linehan's brain to mush but his and Jim Spence's tweeting s have the same "well I and by extension you know what common sense tells us is right so I'll just pretend what you're saying is wrong and take it to it's naturally absurd conclusion while pretending not to understand" air about them. At least when he was writing TV shows he attempted to put a punchline in most of the time.

The only R Kelly song I know is I Believe I Can Fly and it's great, so it's a shame his proclivities have spoiled that.

I'm watching the first part of the last episode. Roy is now on the autistic spectrum and had an extended sequence in a coffee shop where he asked a small person for a short latte and cue much awkward embarrassment. Moss is now getting confidence by wearing women's underwear. It's worse than it sounds.