Their Brains Have Turned To Porridge!

15 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I used to have classes with Tony Pollard, who did two men in a trench with him at the start of his TV career as they were pals then. He had a couple of very gentle swipes at unnamed "TV historians", would love to know what Tony thought of him now. 

Saw that old Burnistoun sketch recently where Iain Connell does an uncannily accurate impression of him pumping the ground re-enacting a wedding night before running screaming at a couple of hillwalkers to re-enact a clan attack. It seemed pretty restrained compared to the real thing nowadays.

He's one short step away from calling himself Neil of the family Oliver...watch this space.

I follow a couple of archeologists on Twitter who have previously worked with Neil Oliver and from what they say there's always been a side to him that lends itself to contrarianism and inevitably into conspiracism.  I think he has been a proponent of the idea that Orkney was capital of Neolithic Britain, which is a fringe idea verging on Atlantis-was-real stuff.

56 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think he has been a proponent of the idea that Orkney was capital of Neolithic Britain, which is a fringe idea verging on Atlantis-was-real stuff.

Fwiw, I was recently harassed into watching 'Ancient Apocalypse' on Netflix, in which an amateur archaeology enthusiast (Graham Hancock) travels the globe cherry picking ideas 'proving' that an intelligent pyramid building-level civilisation were doing the rounds during the last ice age.

A tragic example of how somebody gets an idea into their head and then lets that bias work going forward, and also how self-taught types think that they're right, and world experts are either wrong or hiding something (cf. covid thread). Up there with the Grampian hillforts being vitrified by alien laser rays (terrific Ancient Aliens episode that, see spoiler from 1:15)

Edited by Hedgecutter

36 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I follow a couple of archeologists on Twitter who have previously worked with Neil Oliver and from what they say there's always been a side to him that lends itself to contrarianism and inevitably into conspiracism.  I think he has been a proponent of the idea that Orkney was capital of Neolithic Britain, which is a fringe idea verging on Atlantis-was-real stuff.

The BBC made a short series with him putting this theory forward called "Britain's Ancient Capital". 

I think he takes it a little bit far but there's surely every possibility that some practices that originated or were popularised in Orkney spread to neighbouring islands, including GB. He isn't particularly rigorous about testing this hypothesis though. 

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Fwiw, I was recently harassed into watching 'Ancient Apocalypse' on Netflix, in which this amateur archaeologist archaeology enthusiast (Graham Hancock) travels the globe cherry picking ideas 'proving' that an intelligent pyramid building-level civilisation were doing the rounds during the last ice age.

A tragic example of how somebody gets an idea into their head and then lets that bias work going forward, and also how self-taught types think that they're right, and world experts are either wrong or hiding something (cf. covid thread). Up there with the Grampian hillforts being vitrified by alien laser rays (terrific Ancient Aliens episode that, see spoiler from 1:15)

Hide contents

Ancient Apocalypse is essential viewing. He comes across like he is genuinely convinced by his own theory and that there's a real conspiracy to keep it buried, for poorly specified reasons.  It's far more worrying than Ancient Aliens, where they all know they're at it. 

Did Scott Adams not post that he was going to be murdered if he did t vote for Hillary? Impressively mad.

One thing that’s currently turning brains to porridge is 15 minute cities, the proposals for trying to reduce short range traffic in certain places. Notably Oxford have said they are looking to do this and the porridge brained community have gone mental - this has been looked at as a huge restriction on liberty, a climate lockdown, they are coming for your cars etc. There was a completely mental protest held about it and plenty of ‘it’s the Jews!’ Guys attended.

One of the many damaging things about this is that it poisons the debate - I’m sure there are plenty of reasons people might oppose Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, it might have significant unintended consequences, it will have a impact on businesses etc. Normal arguments are drowned out by the “Great Reset” eye swivelers though, which can’t be good.

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Did Scott Adams not post that he was going to be murdered if he did t vote for Hillary? Impressively mad.

One thing that’s currently turning brains to porridge is 15 minute cities, the proposals for trying to reduce short range traffic in certain places. Notably Oxford have said they are looking to do this and the porridge brained community have gone mental - this has been looked at as a huge restriction on liberty, a climate lockdown, they are coming for your cars etc. There was a completely mental protest held about it and plenty of ‘it’s the Jews!’ Guys attended.

One of the many damaging things about this is that it poisons the debate - I’m sure there are plenty of reasons people might oppose Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, it might have significant unintended consequences, it will have a impact on businesses etc. Normal arguments are drowned out by the “Great Reset” eye swivelers though, which can’t be good.

I think the nutters in Inverness are on the other side, a city of black and white concrete traffic cones to block cyclists, cars, and wheelchairs alike.

On Scott Adams he had a heavy beef with Andrew Tate, I think Tate claimed he'd shagged his wife or something. This is a podcast I accidentally listened to for far too long, it's pretty boring. P.S I'll replace with his latest one which might be more newsy.

Edited by welshbairn

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My neighborhood (popn. ~90k, so equivalent to a decent sized UK town) is essentially a 15 minute city. Kiddo’s school is 5 blocks away (and the catchment area only goes for about another 3), supermarket is 2 and the boozer is literally about 200 yards. Mostly it was built in the 1890s-1910s so amenities had to be walkable as folks didn’t have cars. It’s mostly small businesses - the only nationwide chains I can think are the supermarket itself, a Target (fairly new), a McDicks and then a Taco Bell by the El station. It’s great. 

I’d lay decent money that those on the protests have previously been on protests about fuel costs, and more because it’s now costing them X to get to work, rather than because it’s their vital human right to sit in traffic. 

Not sure what thread to post this in - it’s anti-vax Covid stuff but also fits into the conspiracy theory thread. I’m not sure who June is so she might not have been non-porridge brained. 

if you can’t be arsed reading it all (probably the sanest reaction) this is a clip of a woman who suffered significant health issues with an hormonal condition that caused her symptoms. She has been ill and had these problems for a decade. But this GB News regular just says “vax injured” and that’s that.  I always wonder if these people are just genuinely credulous when someone mentions the vaccine or if they are cynically manipulating.

What are anti-vaxxers getting out of this, exactly? We know they didn't get vaccinated and pretty much no-one cares about vaccination status now, so their song and dance about that is no longer relevant. 

Is this all some sort of contrived attempt to convince everyone they were right? 

14 hours ago, Michael W said:

What are anti-vaxxers getting out of this, exactly?

I just found out yesterday my sister (who is coming in 2 weeks) is anti-vaxxer. Not to the extent that she is making it known, f**k I didn't until yesterday as said.

Her thoughts, I'm still alive, I didn't need it neither did you. When questioned. She utters some pish about getting, corporate money and it was indagated by big medical companies to flees us all. Control and said what.  End of conversation, will not return.

Dear Lord.

Jordan Peterson is one of the most cited academic psychologists in the world, some of his work is quite renowned. A few years of discourse-surfing fame and he’s tweeting out videos of middle aged pervs getting wanked off by machines.

34 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Dear Lord.

Jordan Peterson is one of the most cited academic psychologists in the world, some of his work is quite renowned. A few years of discourse-surfing fame and he’s tweeting out videos of middle aged pervs getting wanked off by machines.

Do you have that address? Asking for a friend....

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Jordan Peterson is one of the most cited academic psychologists in the world, some of his work is quite renowned.

The Intellectual We Deserve
Jordan Peterson’s popularity is the sign of a deeply impoverished political and intellectual landscape…

Nathan J. Robinson
filed 14 March 2018 in PERSONAGES
If you want to appear very profound and convince people to take you seriously, but have nothing of value to say, there is a tried and tested method. First, take some extremely obvious platitude or truism. Make sure it actually does contain some insight, though it can be rather vague. Something like “if you’re too conciliatory, you will sometimes get taken advantage of” or “many moral values are similar across human societies.” Then, try to restate your platitude using as many words as possible, as unintelligibly as possible, while never repeating yourself exactly. Use highly technical language drawn from many different academic disciplines, so that no one person will ever have adequate training to fully evaluate your work. Construct elaborate theories with many parts. Draw diagrams. Use italics liberally to indicate that you are using words in a highly specific and idiosyncratic sense. Never say anything too specific, and if you do, qualify it heavily so that you can always insist you meant the opposite. Then evangelize: speak as confidently as possible, as if you are sharing God’s own truth. Accept no criticisms: insist that any skeptic has either misinterpreted you or has actually already admitted that you are correct. Talk as much as possible and listen as little as possible. Follow these steps, and your success will be assured. (It does help if you are male and Caucasian.)

Jordan Peterson appears very profound and has convinced many people to take him seriously. Yet he has almost nothing of value to say. This should be obvious to anyone who has spent even a few moments critically examining his writings and speeches, which are comically befuddled, pompous, and ignorant. They are half nonsense, half banality. In a reasonable world, Peterson would be seen as the kind of tedious crackpot that one hopes not to get seated next to on a train.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve