Their Brains Have Turned To Porridge!

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Maybe Arthur Matthews wrote the funny stuff in Father Ted and you can watch it with a clear conscience...

...unless he's also batshit.

I do think that the seasons of Black Books that Linehan had nothing to do with are better than the first. And that the IT Crowd has always been unfunny, contrived w**k (Chris Morris' turn being a worthwhile exception).

I strongly suspect that Linehan was always shite, and that Father Ted is almost certainly good despite Linehan, not because of him.

Another I’d forgotten about - Iain MacWhirter. He’d be a prominent journalist and pundit for years and I remember really enjoying his stuff during the independence referendum. He’s another one though who seems to have slowly gone a bit bonkers. 

On 26/01/2023 at 12:21, RiG said:

Wings Over Scotland. Was he always a bat shit mentalist? He used to be a good source of information for pro independence types but he seems to have imploded over trans rights.

He was always a horrible p***k. Deeply misogynistic as well, I think because of the total focus people had on independence in that era, it got lost.

I think since Brexit and the fallout of that, and Trump, we've seen a lot of these shysters for who they actually are.

Edited by Ray Patterson

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I was thinking about this when the thread first started and can't now remember the example I had but for me it's if the abuse or more wild views etc are prevalent/wrapped in the creation of the art that decides the separate the art from the artist question. And less so on views, I doubt Clint Eastwood and I have many similar opinions but some of his films, like Richard Jewell, have something really interesting to say about the US that a non conservative would struggle to make. 

It’s not so much that people have politics you disagree with but enjoy what they do. It’s more that when you became a fan (or earlier in their careers) they’d at least come across as relatively sane and then had a change later on or at least changed in our own eyes. Maybe Graham Linehan always hated trans people and it only became clear later. The difference with Clint Eastwood is that it’s been well known that he’s been conservative for probably his whole career - he was even a Republican mayor at one point. 

Edited by Highland Capital

11 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

they're maybe not quite "brains turned to mush" but its sad that Carol Vordeman and Tom Selleck advertise for grubby companies looking to offer reverse mortgages/equity release.

did lead to this though

https://web.archive.org/web/20211004020409/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se4F65YONiQ

To be fair to Vordeman, and much to my surprise, she appears to have become somewhat of a champion of anti sleaze / corruption in the Tory government, seems to have done all her research & is increasingly vocal on it. Given her audience, her highlighting it on daytime tv can only be a good thing. 

@ICTChris can't find your post about Morrisey and being famous for stuff he did as a teenager fucking him up, but was thinking of it when listening to QAnon Anonymous' ManClan (v good series you'd like on masculinity gurus that they're doing, only on their patreon feed but you could probably get it through some stream if you really wanted) episode on Andrew Tate. They were talking about how people often seem to be crystalised at the moment they became famous, but that if that were the case then Tate must have become famous when he was 14 as that's the only way to describe his mental age based on his output - the "I have machetes all over my house" in particular is something no one but a teenage boy would think was cool. 

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

@ICTChris can't find your post about Morrisey and being famous for stuff he did as a teenager fucking him up, but was thinking of it when listening to QAnon Anonymous' ManClan (v good series you'd like on masculinity gurus that they're doing, only on their patreon feed but you could probably get it through some stream if you really wanted) episode on Andrew Tate. They were talking about how people often seem to be crystalised at the moment they became famous, but that if that were the case then Tate must have become famous when he was 14 as that's the only way to describe his mental age based on his output - the "I have machetes all over my house" in particular is something no one but a teenage boy would think was cool. 

I haven't really listened to or seen any of Tate's output, I don't really have an interest in it.  From what I've heard you are right, he gives off the vibe of someone's older brother showing off to younger kids.  There were always kind of weird 18 and 19 year olds who had martial arts equipment and smoked dope and liked to show off when I was a teenager - looking back they were complete losers and at least one of them turned out to be a literal sex offender.

My wife is a teacher and they have had issues with teenage boys making unacceptable comments to girls or female teachers that seem to come from Tate's content - there was even talk about having an assembly about it.  I think the difficulty is that my wife and all her colleagues are middle aged women and I think there's a limit on how much middle aged women telling off teenaged boys is going to achieve, it probably just reinforces it.  Also, for a 14 year old having a Bugatti and a machete and loads of attractive women probably looks cool. 

I read a blog about how to counter content like Tate's and the way the author put it, the way is to contrast what you are promised by people like Tate ("money, women etc") with what you actually get - it's highly unlikely that calling women bitches will get you a girlfriend, the Husters University is not going to make you rich.  You will just be worse off in every way.  It would be good if there could be some male role models, teachers, authority figures to make this point or demonstrate alternative values but that's not there for a lot of these kids.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I read a blog about how to counter content like Tate's and the way the author put it, the way is to contrast what you are promised by people like Tate ("money, women etc") with what you actually get - it's highly unlikely that calling women bitches will get you a girlfriend, the Husters University is not going to make you rich.  You will just be worse off in every way.  It would be good if there could be some male role models, teachers, authority figures to make this point or demonstrate alternative values but that's not there for a lot of these kids.

there are a few things in life everyone must understand before they leave school.

1. no one has ever gotten their hole from cat calling women on the street

2. no one has ever gotten rich from a get rich quick scheme except from the owner

3. more for the girls, those older boys with cars who you think are cool that are into you, they're absolute losers.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I haven't really listened to or seen any of Tate's output, I don't really have an interest in it.  From what I've heard you are right, he gives off the vibe of someone's older brother showing off to younger kids.  There were always kind of weird 18 and 19 year olds who had martial arts equipment and smoked dope and liked to show off when I was a teenager - looking back they were complete losers and at least one of them turned out to be a literal sex offender.

My wife is a teacher and they have had issues with teenage boys making unacceptable comments to girls or female teachers that seem to come from Tate's content - there was even talk about having an assembly about it.  I think the difficulty is that my wife and all her colleagues are middle aged women and I think there's a limit on how much middle aged women telling off teenaged boys is going to achieve, it probably just reinforces it.  Also, for a 14 year old having a Bugatti and a machete and loads of attractive women probably looks cool. 

38 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

there are a few things in life everyone must understand before they leave school.

1. no one has ever gotten their hole from cat calling women on the street

2. no one has ever gotten rich from a get rich quick scheme except from the owner

3. more for the girls, those older boys with cars who you think are cool that are into you, they're absolute losers.

Not exactly the same but my eldest (12) is listening to some real shitey rap by arseholes at the moment and i keep having to explain to her that the boy that's saying he is giving his bitches 100 Gs each and buying up villas in "marbs" probably lives with his mum and gets the bus. 

On 27/01/2023 at 08:36, RiG said:

The Coast guy. Totally forgotten his name as I've made every effort to forget he exists. Last I was aware he would pop up on GB News screaming about freedoms and railing against COVID safety measures which I know were controversial and divisive but he seemed to think it was some kind of Government plot to control our minds or some guff.

ETA: Neil Oliver!

Not convinced he was ever ok. 

16 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’m ok with father Ted but IT crowd being a bit more risky I do see a few things that I always presumed were funny as satire and wonder if they were actually his beliefs that he hid behind comedy. 

Yeah this, I still watch Father Ted but I don't go back and watch IT Crowd which I used to enjoy when I was younger.