Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

306 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Are the majority of the support behind a permanent Robson appointment?

I’m not sure if it’s a majority but his support is certainly increasing.

The general consensus seems to be that we shouldn’t rush an appointment and Robson’s performance is helping that.

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Anyone else just getting sick of waiting to see what the club are going to do? I'm at the stage of saying "just fucking appoint Robson and be done with it ffs"

I’ve got significant doubts about Robson (or maybe just any caretaker) but I’m pretty much here too - although FWIW I’m not even convinced he’s even under serious consideration.

If there’s nothing this week then, unless it’s Robson, I’d go as far to say we’re going to be playing catch up in terms of planning for next season. 

9 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I’ve got significant doubts about Robson (or maybe just any caretaker) but I’m pretty much here too - although FWIW I’m not even convinced he’s even under serious consideration.

If there’s nothing this week then, unless it’s Robson, I’d go as far to say we’re going to be playing catch up in terms of planning for next season. 

I'm far from convinced either. 6 games isn't enough to judge and 2 of those were against the bottom team at the time. 

The longer it goes, the less convinced i am that the club actually know what they are doing. Personally, i feel that Cormack is looking for the cheap option (again) and a win at Perth next weekend will see him get it.

9 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

I'm far from convinced either. 6 games isn't enough to judge and 2 of those were against the bottom team at the time. 

The longer it goes, the less convinced i am that the club actually know what they are doing. Personally, i feel that Cormack is looking for the cheap option (again) and a win at Perth next weekend will see him get it.

Are you basing this on anything other than the fact it’s taking longer than you’d like? 

I'm happy for us to take our time within reason and it seems we're doing a good job of keeping things hush hush, but equally (and notwithstanding Burrows coming in) we're now entering the third month of our managerial search.

To me, it feels as though if there was an outstanding candidate then we'd have gone and got him by now. I remember when Sevco wanted McInnes, the delays and fannying about prior to the approach put him off - he didn't want to be a candidate, he wanted to be the candidate which by all accounts played a big part in his decision. Of course it might have been Wilder and the Watford job meant we had to look elsewhere.

Sounds as though there's an interview process which brings it's own challenges - some of the better candidates might not be interested in an interview, some might be with clubs which make it challenging, even things like work permits and red tape for foreign managers etc. I'm still half wondering whether there might be negotiations around whether Gunn moves roles again and we're open to changing the structure/personnel at the same time.

If it's Robson after all this then the club may well spin it as his results making it difficult not to give him the job, but equally that wouldn't necessarily mean the recruitment process was up to scratch. 

All very speculative, but my guess is that a more solid rumour will break at some point this week, shortly followed by an appointment.

ekstrabladet.svg
PURCHASE

International football
23 hours
Save article

New job? Trying to persuade Thorup

Aberdeen have thrown their love at Jess Thorup, but it must be doubtful whether the former FCK coach will leave for the Scottish League

Jess Thorup is a topic at Aberdeen, but the question is whether he is tempted by that opportunity.  Photo: Jens Dresling
Jess Thorup is a topic at Aberdeen, but the question is whether he is tempted by that opportunity. Photo: Jens Dresling
Advertisement:
Follow Football

Could a job in rainy Scotland tempt Jess Thorup?

In any case, it does not sound like the most attractive thing for a coach who is probably aiming for a foreign league at a higher, sporting level.

As Ekstra Bladet understands it, Aberdeen has in any case thrown its great love at the Danish master coach.

The article continues below the picture...

Jess Thorup was fired from FC Copenhagen in the autumn.  Since then he has not had a job, but with an annual salary of DKK 9 million.  DKK, Thorup is in no hurry to find something new.  Photo: Jens Dresling
Jess Thorup was fired from FC Copenhagen in the autumn. Since then he has not had a job, but with an annual salary of DKK 9 million. DKK, Thorup is in no hurry to find something new. Photo: Jens Dresling

He has been named as the main target to replace Barry Robson, who is only interim manager following the sacking of Jim Goodwin in January.

In recent years, Aberdeen has developed into a bit of a chaos club, and this may make Jess Thorup politely decline the offer from Scotland.

Since the sacking of Derek McInnes in the spring of 2021, the club has had five managers.

In this way, it can be very difficult to persuade Jess Thorup to take the job in Aberdeen, which previously had a Danish manager. In the period from 1999 to 2002, Ebbe Skovdahl was manager of the club.

Advertisement:

It is still unclear whether the burning interest has led to a concrete offer from the Scots.

Jess Thorup is currently unemployed.  Scottish Aberdeen have thrown their love at the Danish top coach.  Photo: Ernst van Norde
Jess Thorup is currently unemployed. Scottish Aberdeen have thrown their love at the Danish top coach. Photo: Ernst van Norde

The economy can of course also play a role. Jess Thorup was on a very lucrative contract at FC Copenhagen, where he received an annual salary of around DKK 9 million. DKK

It is far from certain that Aberdeen can honor wage demands of that magnitude. Added to that are the perspectives of being a coach in the Scottish league, where only Celtic and Rangers FC usually fight for the title.

Aberdeen are currently fourth in the Scottish Premier League with a whopping 41 points ahead of Celtic in first place. There are three points off third place, where Hearts are currently placed.

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:
ekstrabladet.svg
PURCHASE

International football
23 hours
Save article

Aberdeen have thrown their love at Jess Thorup, but it must be doubtful whether the former FCK coach will leave for the Scottish League

Jess Thorup is a topic at Aberdeen, but the question is whether he is tempted by that opportunity.  Photo: Jens Dresling
Jess Thorup is a topic at Aberdeen, but the question is whether he is tempted by that opportunity. Photo: Jens Dresling
Advertisement:
Follow Football

In any case, it does not sound like the most attractive thing for a coach who is probably aiming for a foreign league at a higher, sporting level.

As Ekstra Bladet understands it, Aberdeen has in any case thrown its great love at the Danish master coach.

Jess Thorup was fired from FC Copenhagen in the autumn.  Since then he has not had a job, but with an annual salary of DKK 9 million.  DKK, Thorup is in no hurry to find something new.  Photo: Jens Dresling
Jess Thorup was fired from FC Copenhagen in the autumn. Since then he has not had a job, but with an annual salary of DKK 9 million. DKK, Thorup is in no hurry to find something new. Photo: Jens Dresling

He has been named as the main target to replace Barry Robson, who is only interim manager following the sacking of Jim Goodwin in January.

In recent years, Aberdeen has developed into a bit of a chaos club, and this may make Jess Thorup politely decline the offer from Scotland.

Since the sacking of Derek McInnes in the spring of 2021, the club has had five managers.

In this way, it can be very difficult to persuade Jess Thorup to take the job in Aberdeen, which previously had a Danish manager. In the period from 1999 to 2002, Ebbe Skovdahl was manager of the club.

Advertisement:

It is still unclear whether the burning interest has led to a concrete offer from the Scots.

Jess Thorup is currently unemployed.  Scottish Aberdeen have thrown their love at the Danish top coach.  Photo: Ernst van Norde
Jess Thorup is currently unemployed. Scottish Aberdeen have thrown their love at the Danish top coach. Photo: Ernst van Norde

The economy can of course also play a role. Jess Thorup was on a very lucrative contract at FC Copenhagen, where he received an annual salary of around DKK 9 million. DKK

It is far from certain that Aberdeen can honor wage demands of that magnitude. Added to that are the perspectives of being a coach in the Scottish league, where only Celtic and Rangers FC usually fight for the title.

Aberdeen are currently fourth in the Scottish Premier League with a whopping 41 points ahead of Celtic in first place. There are three points off third place, where Hearts are currently placed.

DKK9m is slightly over £1m p.a. 

Even accounting for caretakers, we’ve not had five managers since McInnes? Thought it’s only been Sheerin and Robson?

31 minutes ago, coprolite said:
ekstrabladet.svg
PURCHASE

International football
23 hours
Save article

Advertisement:
Follow Football

Advertisement:

Is this a fake website?

Their journalism is nearly as bad as Scottish journalists!

Edited by betting competition

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I like that we are only 3pts behind Hearts!

Aye, and "with a whopping 41 points ahead of Celtic in first place."

Some team. First and fourth

The BBC and Daily Record's cover of the story...
Perpetual also-rans Aberdeen are rumoured to be targeting Jess Thorup, some guy from Denmark who is the same nationality as ex-Gers legend Brian Laudrup. His first name is Jess, which is the same as former Don's player Eoin Jess, who was regularly linked to being signed by Walter Smith for Rangers during their 9 in a row title winning years, when Rangers won 9 Scottish Championship titles in a row, that's 9 of them, helping Rangers, founded in 1872, to become one of the world's most successful teams with 55 league titles to their name. We'll bring you more on this story when we've got Barry Ferguson's opinion of it.

15 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

The BBC and Daily Record's cover of the story...
Perpetual also-rans Aberdeen are rumoured to be targeting Jess Thorup, some guy from Denmark who is the same nationality as ex-Gers legend Brian Laudrup. His first name is Jess, which is the same as former Don's player Eoin Jess, who was regularly linked to being signed by Walter Smith for Rangers during their 9 in a row title winning years, when Rangers won 9 Scottish Championship titles in a row, that's 9 of them, helping Rangers, founded in 1872, to become one of the world's most successful teams with 55 league titles to their name. We'll bring you more on this story when we've got Barry Ferguson's opinion of it.

As more of an abhergreen type, I won’t make up my mind until I’ve heard John Hartson’s “thoughts” on the matter 

4 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

DKK9m is slightly over £1m p.a. 

Even accounting for caretakers, we’ve not had five managers since McInnes? Thought it’s only been Sheerin and Robson?

Likely a translation thing?

Sheerin, Glass, Goodwin, Robson then he'd be the 5th.