Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

306 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It does seem to be rumbling on quite a while. The Watford gig becoming available was probably shite luck. Reminds me of Celtic waiting for Howe for ages then he doesn’t sign.

They ended up alright though so might be the same for you.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

It does seem to be rumbling on quite a while. The Watford gig becoming available was probably shite luck. Reminds me of Celtic waiting for Howe for ages then he doesn’t sign.

They ended up alright though so might be the same for you.

Aye.

Scottish club miss out on long term English candidate who'd likely underestimate the division and be looking to jump ship every time an English job came up, and instead go for foreign manager highly rated in Asia who'll be mocked with "Who?! Big clubs need big names like *insert former player with no managerial CV here* instead of some foreign no mark" once theyre hired.

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I'm in no hurry to end this Robson/Agnew thing, and would certainly like to see how they do in the pre-split matches.

The only name from those banded about that would change my view on that would be Steve Clarke.

Would love Steve Clarke, but it’s not going to happen. 
Feel the new man needs to get in relatively soon though , ideally this month. 

7 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Absolutely no rush to appoint anymore. Robson and Agnew to keep ticking along for the foreseeable is fine with me. 

The only issue with that is the rebuild that needs done in the summer. If you are going to let Robson and Agnew stay until then it has to be with the view of them getting the gig permanently otherwise we are properly on the back foot with preparations for next season. Happy for both of them to be part of the new management team going forward but permanent manager needs brought in before the end of the season to know what qualities the players he has have and what he needs to implement his style. 

If there wasn't such a massive rebuild needing done i'd happily let Robson and Agnew run till the summer. But as it stands? No. 

On 07/03/2023 at 19:47, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not sure he was ever a legitimate candidate tbh. 

Doubtful. He appeared on the BBC rumour page the day before he was appointed Watford manager so just the usual shite journalist being told to make up some pish to sell a few papers and get those internet clicks cos their careers are pointless 

22 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Absolutely no rush to appoint anymore. Robson and Agnew to keep ticking along for the foreseeable is fine with me. 

Nah.

We need the new manager to be in and working closely with Darren Mowbray asap, to identify the type of player he wants for next season, types that will fit the formation & style of play he wants to implement.

There’s a huge rebuild to be done. 

As many as 15 players out & maybe as many coming in. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

I hear what people are saying regarding player recruitment. However, I'd like to think we're cracking on with that irrespective of who's in charge. My other point would be that I'd wager our business will have to come during the latter stages of the summer anyway. There's a good chance there will be an offer too good refuse for Duk/Miovski or even the potential sales of Ferguson or McKenna may financially benefit us. 

I think the argument for not appointing Robson is there's not a large enough sample size in terms of games managed. I think this is a perfect opportunity to see what he can do. There's obviously alot to play for so it's still a good experience for Robson. 

1 hour ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

I hear what people are saying regarding player recruitment. However, I'd like to think we're cracking on with that irrespective of who's in charge. My other point would be that I'd wager our business will have to come during the latter stages of the summer anyway. There's a good chance there will be an offer too good refuse for Duk/Miovski or even the potential sales of Ferguson or McKenna may financially benefit us. 

I think the argument for not appointing Robson is there's not a large enough sample size in terms of games managed. I think this is a perfect opportunity to see what he can do. There's obviously alot to play for so it's still a good experience for Robson. 

The window shuts on 31/8.

if you’re suggesting we do a lot of business nearer that time, we’ll have a very small squad to negotiate the first 8 or so games of the season.

We have about 15 leaving.

By the end of August, we’ll have played about 4 league games, and either European ties or League Cup ties.

The majority of the business (not all obviously) needs done (by a new manager) and before we play our first game. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

29 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

The window shuts on 31/8.

if you’re suggesting we do a lot of business nearer that time, we’ll have a very small squad to negotiate the first 8 or so games of the season.

We have about 15 leaving.

By the end of August, we’ll have played about 4 league games, and either European ties or League Cup ties.

The majority of the business (not all obviously) needs done (by a new manager) and before we play our first game. 

We’ll be doing a fair bit of business towards the end of the window whether or not we have a new manager I’d expect.

On 10/03/2023 at 07:06, Irrational Behaviour said:

How do you attract players without them knowing who the manager is? And what happens if we sign players on pre-contracts etc and the new manager doesn't want them? 

Robson has done what was expected of him. No more. We've had 1 rookie manager and 1 rushed appointment in the past 2 years. Now is not the time for another rookie. How many times do we see it? Interim comes in, gets a couole of decent results then appointed permanently. All this falls away to buggery. Motherwell being the obvious one. That alone i think will make Burrows wary of doing that again. 

Absolutely no point in a DOF if we can't sign players for the club regardless of whether our head coach position is filled or or not. We have a philosophy of identifying young players (project players) and players who fit into the attractive style of football (Aberdeen way or whatever that means). 

I'm not one for advocating Robson getting the role but the more games he gets will give us that sample size required. 

4 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Absolutely no point in a DOF if we can't sign players for the club regardless of whether our head coach position is filled or or not. We have a philosophy of identifying young players (project players) and players who fit into the attractive style of football (Aberdeen way or whatever that means). 

I'm not one for advocating Robson getting the role but the more games he gets will give us that sample size required. 

You might want to go back and read what a DoF actually does. He doesn't identify the players. That's down to the manager/head coach and the HoR.  Steven Gunn negotiates the contracts. Badly may I add. 

Everyone can see the deficiencies we have in the squad. A blindfolded Stevie Wonder can see it. But the HoR will compile a list of players that suits the way the manager wants to play. Then the manager will give his preference and then it's Steven Gunn's turn to make a c**t of things. 

So, we are going to need centre halves next season. The new manager might want a ball playing centre back. Then Steven Gunn goes and signs an Ash Taylor no nonsense type. What good's that to anyone? 

We lost out on Idzes in the January window because there wasn't a manager in place. That totally flies in the face of your argument. He had nonidea who the new manager was going to be so held off signing. We want him on a pre-contract for next season but as we still don't have a manager he hasn't signed it. 

11 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

You might want to go back and read what a DoF actually does. He doesn't identify the players. That's down to the manager/head coach and the HoR.  Steven Gunn negotiates the contracts. Badly may I add. 

Everyone can see the deficiencies we have in the squad. A blindfolded Stevie Wonder can see it. But the HoR will compile a list of players that suits the way the manager wants to play. Then the manager will give his preference and then it's Steven Gunn's turn to make a c**t of things. 

So, we are going to need centre halves next season. The new manager might want a ball playing centre back. Then Steven Gunn goes and signs an Ash Taylor no nonsense type. What good's that to anyone? 

We lost out on Idzes in the January window because there wasn't a manager in place. That totally flies in the face of your argument. He had nonidea who the new manager was going to be so held off signing. We want him on a pre-contract for next season but as we still don't have a manager he hasn't signed it. 

How do you know Gunn negotiates contracts badly out of interest? Seems to be a lightning rod for criticism but if you’re ITK or have dealt with him personally then fair enough.

Is there any evidence that Idzes didn’t sign because of the manager situation? It was reported at the time that they were looking for 400k despite him having 6 months left on his contract which wouldn’t make sense from our point of view.

Having no manager in place didn’t stop MacDonald, Pollock, Gorter and Markanday coming in, albeit on a short term basis.

We shouldn’t rush into this appointment if we’ve not identified the right person yet. Mowbray, Gunn and the scouting team can continue to put the initial work in and give the new man a solid list of players even if they arrive in April/May/June time.

35 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Who is Idzes though please? 

6 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

How do you know Gunn negotiates contracts badly out of interest? Seems to be a lightning rod for criticism but if you’re ITK or have dealt with him personally then fair enough.

Is there any evidence that Idzes didn’t sign because of the manager situation? It was reported at the time that they were looking for 400k despite him having 6 months left on his contract which wouldn’t make sense from our point of view.

Having no manager in place didn’t stop MacDonald, Pollock, Gorter and Markanday coming in, albeit on a short term basis.

We shouldn’t rush into this appointment if we’ve not identified the right person yet. Mowbray, Gunn and the scouting team can continue to put the initial work in and give the new man a solid list of players even if they arrive in April/May/June time.

From what i've been told. When Goodwin got sacked, Wilder got in touch and he was told he'd get back in touch with him then never heard from AFC until Burrows arrived. Gunn has form for this. Again, I was told Idzes was keen on the move until it became apparent Goodwin was on his way out then had real reservations once he was sacked. Like I say, we are still trying to get him on a pre-contract but as there's no manager then it won't happen until thaf is sorted imo. 

On the last paragraph, yes Mowbray etc can complile i list of players but who's to say they'll be available come May, June time?  And there's also around 15 players leaving this summer so probably at least 10-12 coming in. If we qualify for Europe what kind of squad are we going to have for that? Bearing in mind how long it took for Miovski and Ramadani's permits etc to be sorted? Everything now takes longer when it comes to signing overseas players. Even if we don't get Europe and have the LC group stages. They start early July. Look at Hibs this season. Go in under prepared then you're asking for humiliation. 

Absolute nonsense dragging this out to the end of the season, or even until the split. Just wasting valuable time. Approaching 2 months since Goodwins departure, which is plenty time to make a considered appointment. It will take less time at this rate to appoint a new prime minister than the AFC job. 
A little extra time is given considering Cormacks medical situation,but it really is crazy to think that by the end of March isn’t ample time to make the right appointment.

7 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

From what i've been told. When Goodwin got sacked, Wilder got in touch and he was told he'd get back in touch with him then never heard from AFC until Burrows arrived. Gunn has form for this. Again, I was told Idzes was keen on the move until it became apparent Goodwin was on his way out then had real reservations once he was sacked. Like I say, we are still trying to get him on a pre-contract but as there's no manager then it won't happen until thaf is sorted imo. 

On the last paragraph, yes Mowbray etc can complile i list of players but who's to say they'll be available come May, June time?  And there's also around 15 players leaving this summer so probably at least 10-12 coming in. If we qualify for Europe what kind of squad are we going to have for that? Bearing in mind how long it took for Miovski and Ramadani's permits etc to be sorted? Everything now takes longer when it comes to signing overseas players. Even if we don't get Europe and have the LC group stages. They start early July. Look at Hibs this season. Go in under prepared then you're asking for humiliation. 

Tbh, given where Wilder has ended up, I’d be very surprised if he was genuinely interested. It looks like his agent has used us to keep his name in the news whilst he can angle for a more lucrative gig.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the way Gunn’s being spoken about by a lot of our support. I get that he’s not got a playing or coaching background in the game but to suggest he’s incompetent based on a rumour like that is pretty poor imo.

We can’t rush this appointment, if it takes until the end of the season then so be it. Cormack is out of action and Burrows is just in the door. We do have a rebuild on our hands but not to the extent of last summer. Going off contracted players for next year, we’re severely lacking at centre half but several attacking options, a good GK and at least some options in midfield and at fullback. MacDonald and Shinnie signing permanently would help. We could obviously use strengthening and depth in a lot of areas but we have something to work with. Bare in mind that if we make a Europe then the first game would be 27th July at the earliest, not early July or June like we’re used to.