Raith Rovers v Motherwell (Scottish Cup Round 5)

roverthemoon

I’m still glad I went today. Never been to Starks Park and loved it. Seeing a decent support turning on the team was quite a sight to behold also. Pity half the stand emptied at the 3rd goal as they all deserved much louder and sustained abuse at the end.

Had an “end of days” feel to it and so it came to pass.

Easily the worst Motherwell team I’ve seen in nearly 40 years of going to games so apologies to the Raith fans for having to watch that. We’ve not always been that bad, honest! 😂 

11 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Easily the worst Motherwell team I’ve seen in nearly 40 years of going to games so apologies to the Raith fans for having to watch that. We’ve not always been that bad, honest! 😂 

I remember a 5-2 win against Motherwell at Starks maybe 78/79 ? your not the worst Motherwell team I've seen 🤣

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Who'd have thought that less than 2 years after being lauded for booting Jack Grealish round Wembley that Stephen O'Donnell would be getting hooked at half time in a Scottish Cup tie at Stark's. 

Just imagine the same dressing room at HT.

You're shite, you're shite and you're shite and I'm hooking the 3 of you.

At the end of the game the 3 players will be thinking 'at least we weren't totally to blame.

Fucking superb.  Ended up with everyone in our row going flying at the 3rd goal, been a hell of a long time since I've seen that at Starks.

Again, properly mental to think some people didn't rate Brown and gave the manager a hard time for signing him.  Absolute collosus today.  

Just watched the highlights. Definitely a penalty.

The second goal could easily have blown for a foul on the keeper. Stanton jumps into the keepers arm which helps make him spill the ball. Great quick reaction from Sam who was superb all day. 

O’Donnell a bit naughty standing on Dylan Easton’s leg in the corner. Not a stamp, so not a red but still a bit out of order.

And the scenes at that last goal. Poor goalkeeping to let that one in from that angle but glad he did.

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I actually saw the ref award the penalty and it felt like I was the only Rovers fan who did. Couldn't see if it was a penalty or not but I noticed Gullan appealing hard for it and glanced at the ref just as he pointed to the spot. 

It was certainly a weird one. 

I was convinced it was a corner and therefore couldn't understand why the referee pointed in the direction he did as the ball clearly went out on the railway stand side of the goal.

It was only when he booked the Motherwell player I realised what was happening. In today's terms it probably is a penalty, just like the one which was given against us at Dens Park in November.

I'm obviously delighted that Rovers won, but genuinely feel for the Motherwell fans and Stevie Hammell. Managers come and go, and I fully realise he wasn't sacked solely on this result, but it's horrible when a club legend reaches the point of no return as a manager. We've seen it with Hetherston and Dalziel, and it's not nice.

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Just watched the highlights. Definitely a penalty.

The second goal could easily have blown for a foul on the keeper. Stanton jumps into the keepers arm which helps make him spill the ball. Great quick reaction from Sam who was superb all day. 

O’Donnell a bit naughty standing on Dylan Easton’s leg in the corner. Not a stamp, so not a red but still a bit out of order.

And the scenes at that last goal. Poor goalkeeping to let that one in from that angle but glad he did.

Agree on the penalty, and as IM says, it’s a cheap one, but it’s a penalty. Banning spins away from Gullan’s shot, with his arms away from his body. The ball hits his right wrist.

Also agree on the second, like IM said, it could have been a foul on the keeper for the backhand on Stanton or Stanton for jumping into the keeper.

I had forgotten how many bites at the cherry Motherwell got after their goal, we were a little lucky.

Easton’s vision to pick out the through ball to Golçaves was superb, and for Golçaves to be able to do that having not even really practiced with the team is stupendous. Golçaves looks quite interesting…he looked a little deliberate and slow the first few minutes he was on, but then he seemed to catch up with the flow of the game. He showed an ability to hold up and pass out to assist the attack, he showed he can control the ball, and understands about going to the corner and holding the ball, and he certainly has a strikers instinct and shot, beating the keeper like that with an absolutely blistered shot. The keeper was sliding toward the near post, got a hand on the shot, but only enough to slightly deflect the shot.

21 minutes ago, ribzanelli said:

Looking at the highlights on Raith website, not a single Motherwell player had a complaint about the pen, although I guess they have maybe just downed tools and don’t care either way 

Yeah definite penalty. 

The Stanton goal was one of those where you half expect a foul to be given because goalkeepers are a protected species but it would've been a soft foul. Really weak from Kelly. 

First half was summed up by us taking about 15 minutes to try break down Raith Rovers, constantly passing around the middle of the park, only for them to get the ball and have it in our net within 30 seconds. 
Kelly can say what he likes in interviews, he hasn’t been good enough recently. O’Donnell shouldn’t play for us again. 
Only positive, the steak pie was good, basic, but that’s all I want at the football.

Ian Murray to ML1? 😁

5 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

First half was summed up by us taking about 15 minutes to try break down Raith Rovers, constantly passing around the middle of the park, only for them to get the ball and have it in our net within 30 seconds. 
Kelly can say what he likes in interviews, he hasn’t been good enough recently. O’Donnell shouldn’t play for us again. 
Only positive, the steak pie was good, basic, but that’s all I want at the football.

Ian Murray to ML1? 😁

You missed out on the great chicken curry pies, sorry to disappoint. 

46 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah definite penalty. 

The Stanton goal was one of those where you half expect a foul to be given because goalkeepers are a protected species but it would've been a soft foul. Really weak from Kelly. 

Agree with this. It's a very clear penalty in current interpretations. His arm is way out from his natural silhouette.

I think the Stanton challenge is probably given as a foul routinely 8 times out of 10 these days but I'm not sure there's an awful lot in it.