Raith Rovers v Motherwell (Scottish Cup Round 5)

roverthemoon

The first half was all Rovers. I thought that was a corner, then from nowhere the ref awards a penalty. 

Second half was all Motherwell for the first 20 odd minutes and they should have got the game back to 2-2, but they didn’t. 

Great win for the Rovers and some feeling when the new man scored.

Great support through from Motherwell and both supports backed their teams well. 

What a game. First half we were superb and the midfield passing was a joy to watch. Weird couple of goals mind. The handball was initially  greeted with roars from the whole of the South Stand thinking we’d won a corner, then confusion as the teams lined up for a penalty. Didn’t really celebrate the second properly as I was sure it was going to be chalked off for a foul on the keeper. 

Feared the worst when we displayed our usual glass jaw after the break and conceded. Then sat back and invited pressure on. But it felt like Motherwell eventually ran out of steam and the third absolutely killed it. What a moment for Conclaves. Motherwell were as poor as had been suggested and aside from a rocky 20 minutes, thought we looked comfortable. So many great performances from so many players. Great scenes at the end and a real connection between the players and fans building.

Was impressed by the Motherwell support and how they stuck with their team. Shame there was nonsense after the final whistle.

Can’t wait for the QF draw. 

I actually saw the ref award the penalty and it felt like I was the only Rovers fan who did. Couldn't see if it was a penalty or not but I noticed Gullan appealing hard for it and glanced at the ref just as he pointed to the spot. 

It was certainly a weird one. 

I was sitting behind the goal and thought the shot came off his thigh but the TV should clear that up. I thought the Raith player was backing into Kelly and was expecting a foul but if he'd just caught it as he should have done there wouldn't have been an issue. 

None of that matters though as we dropped the tempo after our strong period at the start of the second half and then Raith saw it out quite comfortably and deservedly with a cherry on top at the end. 

An ignominious end to Stevie's managerial career but at least I had a nice lunch in South Queensferry and got to visit Stark's Park for the first time in decades.

Well done Raith. Hope you get a favourable draw.

We were well as poor as many of us thought we might be. 

Hammell should have been sacked one if not two games ago. May have made no difference but to me it is clear the players don’t and did not believe in the management team. His selections were poor and again making 3 changes at HT is an admission you fucked up……

Onwards and downwards.

See you next season 👍

22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I actually saw the ref award the penalty and it felt like I was the only Rovers fan who did. Couldn't see if it was a penalty or not but I noticed Gullan appealing hard for it and glanced at the ref just as he pointed to the spot. 

It was certainly a weird one. 

Was jn the main stand, saw it straight away. Was quite strange with the delay in the South stand realising what had happened.

45 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I was sitting behind the goal and thought the shot came off his thigh but the TV should clear that up. I thought the Raith player was backing into Kelly and was expecting a foul but if he'd just caught it as he should have done there wouldn't have been an issue. 

None of that matters though as we dropped the tempo after our strong period at the start of the second half and then Raith saw it out quite comfortably and deservedly with a cherry on top at the end. 

An ignominious end to Stevie's managerial career but at least I had a nice lunch in South Queensferry and got to visit Stark's Park for the first time in decades.

The main camera view won’t help much, but if the goal camera view is shown, it should be conclusive. I will note IM, interviewed after the match, said the penalty call was the “correct” call, but was cheap. He also said his first thought on the second goal was it was a foul on the goalie, but after rewatching it, it was a 50/50 for which call is correct.

In my opinion, the ‘Well midfield isn’t the issue. There were few moments of quality getting forward and the defence seemed plenty happy to just boot the ball the hell out of there.

15 minutes ago, philpy said:

There's stuff on twitter about 'well fans allegedly stealing a drum from a young rovers fan. If its true then I hope it gets handed back. Those lads are a breath of fresh air at starks.

Also a vid of both sets of fans scrapping outside The Estuary. 

27 minutes ago, philpy said:

There's stuff on twitter about 'well fans allegedly stealing a drum from a young rovers fan. If its true then I hope it gets handed back. Those lads are a breath of fresh air at starks.

It’s true he got beat up and drum stolen spoke to his mums pal earlier. Just a young boy too no need for it😠

There's a mention of a drum with photo on page before this one. Shitty childish behaviour from a few who tarnish the name of the club they support .

Hope the young lad is ok and not too badly affected by this incident.

Edited by embow