Raith Rovers v Motherwell (Scottish Cup Round 5)

roverthemoon

27 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Boo no pyro no party. 

In all seriousness to the young team, the law have a real hard on for this sort of thing and 9 times out of 10 will go after a banning order which will cause you all sorts of grief. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I didn't know Ruby played for you. A bit of a boo-boys' favourite in his time at Motherwell although, it has to be said, he had a tremendous 80's perm.

He was at Rovers when I started attending and my hazy memory of that time is he was a bit of a target for the boo boys with us. Ian MacLeod was a definite upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

He'd graduated from a perm to a mullet by the time he joined us.

Had a few games in midfield at the start, from what I can recall, then moved to left back.

He was eventually replaced at left back by another ex Motherwell player, the late Ian MacLeod.

To be fair, it was a sort of permy mullet. And yes, the Marshall was a much better player although my memory must be playing tricks on me - I thought Murray was a left-back and McLeod a right-back.

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game as a break from the monotony of our league campaign and I had a look back at some previous encounters. Not played each other in a long while and quite few of the games were during the period of stadium reconstruction which gives an extra bit of nostalgia (although not particularly in these clips)

Quite a few Rovers fans have commented on the 3-3 draw with Hetherington's late equaliser (never a free-kick).

A slightly earlier in for 'Well when the away fans get to stand against a dodgy looking railing at the top of a steep embankment.

And top of the league Motherwell (I know, it was only the end of August) dish out a thumping. To be fair, most of the videos from this spell seem to be comfortable Motherwell wins but at least Rovers get a goal in this one.

3 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I thought Murray was a left-back and McLeod a right-back.

MacLeod was right footed from what I can recall, but after playing a few games in midfield, he established himself as our first choice left back. Our recognised right back at the time was yet another ex Motherwell player - Jock McStay.

Happy to confirm that I was at all of those - happy days. The 3-3 was one of the most pished I've ever been at a game in my life - a special magic carpet got me home that day as I had no recollection of how it happened (an uneaten kebab was apparently provided as an in-flight meal as it was there when I woke up).

11 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game as a break from the monotony of our league campaign and I had a look back at some previous encounters. Not played each other in a long while and quite few of the games were during the period of stadium reconstruction which gives an extra bit of nostalgia (although not particularly in these clips)

Quite a few Rovers fans have commented on the 3-3 draw with Hetherington's late equaliser (never a free-kick).

A slightly earlier in for 'Well when the away fans get to stand against a dodgy looking railing at the top of a steep embankment.

And top of the league Motherwell (I know, it was only the end of August) dish out a thumping. To be fair, most of the videos from this spell seem to be comfortable Motherwell wins but at least Rovers get a goal in this one.

Shame there’s no footage of the 91 league cup game 

33 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

apparently only 450 Well tickets left, if the seat selection graphic is to be believed.

I wouldn't be surprised if we manage to sell it out as you always get that late surge of people who decide to go on the day of the game. Even with the numbers as they are, it's great considering the displays as of late. Looking forward to the game tomorrow, I think the last time I visited Stark's Park some of the ground was about to be reduced to rubble. 

9 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

MacLeod was right footed from what I can recall, but after playing a few games in midfield, he established himself as our first choice left back. Our recognised right back at the time was yet another ex Motherwell player - Jock McStay.

I think it was McStay that scored the goal that got us promotion at Thistle. Our last goal (for now) in the first division/championship as the last game was 0-0 at Forfar. I really am showing my age now.

55 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

apparently only 450 Well tickets left, if the seat selection graphic is to be believed.

I've not checked the graphic myself, but presumably that's only showing the North Stand at the moment? There's additional capacity in the Railway Stand that'll be available if you sell out behind the goals. 

I'm really looking forward to this. I think I'm right in saying it's the first Scottish Cup game where we've welcomed top flight opposition since January 2017 when Declan McManus scored in the last minute to draw with Ian Cathro's Hearts and he lost all power of speech in his post-match interview. 

This doesn't feel too dissimilar, in as much as it's a Premiership side who are low on confidence and look severely dysfunctional. It'll still take a huge performance. There are bigger gaps between the leagues than people like to imagine sometimes, and we're not exactly confidently swatting teams aside every weekend ourselves. You'd have to imagine that Calum Butcher will go someway towards mitigating some of Motherwell's biggest issues, too. 

Ordinarily, I think you'd look at this as one of those "keep it tight, get to half time, and then let the fans get on the backs of the opposition", but I don't know that we've got the legs after Wednesday night to rely on a strategy that needs a real step-up in the last twenty minutes. I'm not sure it's really Murray's style, either. 

I think we'll do our usual, if we win the toss, and shoot the 'wrong' way. Try to fly out the traps and get right into Motherwell's faces. If I was a betting man, I'd have Scott Brown to be booked before half time as a near certainty. 

Easton and Connolly will, obviously, come back into the starting line up. It'll be very interesting to see if either Gullan or Vaughan make it back, and to what extent. Murray sounded confident at the start of the week that he'd have Gullan, but given Akio's goal, and particularly his direct running in the second half, I wouldn't be astonished to see him get the first hour. 

Over the piece, I expect Motherwell will have too much for us, but it's one we can go into with no fear, and a realistic (if not probable) chance of an upset. And if we do go out, it'll be a more enjoyable occasion than our usual defeat away at Almondvale or Celtic Park. 

Looking at the Motherwell tickets it looks like we have not given over the lower blocks (the ones if you come out the stairs and go down). I think without the lower section that stand holds about 2500/2600 - so looks like about 2k sold which is great. Hopefully the rest get shifted and they do get to 2500ish.

Harder to tell with our own tickets being more spread out. Doesn't look fantastic at the moment though. Hopefully there are a lot of folks going to sort it out today and before the game. 

20 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Easton and Connolly will, obviously, come back into the starting line up. It'll be very interesting to see if either Gullan or Vaughan make it back, and to what extent. Murray sounded confident at the start of the week that he'd have Gullan, but given Akio's goal, and particularly his direct running in the second half, I wouldn't be astonished to see him get the first hour. 

Akio is cuptied so if one of Gullan or Vaughan don't make it we have no centre forwards....

8 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Looking at the Motherwell tickets it looks like we have not given over the lower blocks (the ones if you come out the stairs and go down). I think without the lower section that stand holds about 2500/2600 - so looks like about 2k sold which is great. Hopefully the rest get shifted and they do get to 2500ish.

Harder to tell with our own tickets being more spread out. Doesn't look fantastic at the moment though. Hopefully there are a lot of folks going to sort it out today and before the game. 

Every home game there is a large queue of folk buying from the ticket office so hopefully there are just a lot of people who haven't yet bought them. The performances of late, and the results of this last week, deserve a decent turn out.

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

The front section, the back two rows, and the section nearest the railway stand haven't been on sale so im sure they can magic up a few more seats if required/open the Railway stand.

Not looked forward to a Scottish Cup tie so much in ages. Think it’s the after effect of beating Dundee and the novelty of playing someone different.  Glad that Motherwell are being a fairly decent crowd, always good to have the North Stand with a lot of bodies. Wont be an easy game but still think we can take the game to them and if our passing game gets going then who knows. 2-1 Rovers, late winner from Sam Stanton.