Raith Rovers v Motherwell (Scottish Cup Round 5)

roverthemoon

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Is there likely to be a stream for this? Undecided on whether to go yet?

Ticket, train, lunch and a few beers quickly turns into a £100 day. 

RaithTV will be broadcasting (barring blackout inside UK for UEFA regs) it at https://www.raith.tv, but right now it’s the Dundee audio stream that’s being offered. Should come available about Thursday afternoon, probably at £12 if they can give domestic video, less for audio only.

Edit: Just looked at the schedule, and it looks like it will have to be audio only for UK fans, barring a VPN and a dodgy stream.

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

RaithTV will be broadcasting (barring blackout inside UK for UEFA regs) it at https://www.raith.tv, but right now it’s the Dundee audio stream that’s being offered. Should come available about Thursday afternoon, probably at £12 if they can give domestic video, less for audio only.

Edit: Just looked at the schedule, and it looks like it will have to be audio only for UK fans, barring a VPN and a dodgy stream.

I really like the Raith TV guys. Some of the Scottish cup videos are horrid

A bit apprehensive about this game in all honesty. Appreciate there's no pressure on us but with the players we have unavailable on top of who 'might' be unavailable after Saturday's game I reckon we'll need to conjure the spirits of Aberdeen away in the Scottish Cup if we're to get anything from this match. Motherwell, for as poor as they might have been lately in the league, will probably have enough about them to see them into the next round I'd suspect. It's been a bit of an up and down season for us with some good games/wins and some poor performances/results - a win here would be absolutely massive for us not just financially but going into the latter parts of the season with a bit of form and confidence.

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

A bit apprehensive about this game in all honesty. Appreciate there's no pressure on us but with the players we have unavailable on top of who 'might' be unavailable after Saturday's game I reckon we'll need to conjure the spirits of Aberdeen away in the Scottish Cup if we're to get anything from this match. Motherwell, for as poor as they might have been lately in the league, will probably have enough about them to see them into the next round I'd suspect. It's been a bit of an up and down season for us with some good games/wins and some poor performances/results - a win here would be absolutely massive for us not just financially but going into the latter parts of the season with a bit of form and confidence.

Yeah it's hard not to feel that the injuries to Vaughan and Gullan might have put the game beyond us. Beating a team from the league above us with no forwards is going to be a tough ask, regardless of how bad Motherwell's form seems to be.

Our only real hope now is that Connolly or maybe Easton bangs one in from 20 yards to give us something to hold on to.

Looking forward to this one.  f**k all to do with watching Motherwell, I've just never been to Starks Park before.  Another one ticked off the list.

As for the starting XI, baws oot on Saturday.  Need to win this.

Kelly

Johnston Casey Blaney Furlong

Slattery  Butcher

Aitchison  van Veen  Danzaki

Obika 

1 minute ago, Allroy for Prez said:

For my sins, heading along to this.

Looking forward to visiting Starks Park but zero enthusiasm for this howling shower of imposters currently filling the jerseys. 

Fully expect to lose this but if it puts the tin lid of Hammell’s reign I reckon I’d take it.

Where’s best to park?

Beveridge Park also on the Esplanade both 5 minutes walk.

Really disappointing that we are very likely going to be without our two first choice strikers in Gullan and Vaughan and captain in Scott Brown for this. The latter will be a huge miss, we will really miss his tenacity and bite in the middle of the park. With Matthews also out we don’t have any other midfielder capable of doing that role. It’s one that’s likely going to be quite important too, as Motherwell, despite being underperforming, will certainly have more of the ball. 

It’s a shame because with a full team I think we could really give Motherwell a scare, but I fancy we’ll be a couple of players short. 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Really disappointing that we are very likely going to be without our two first choice strikers in Gullan and Vaughan and captain in Scott Brown for this. The latter will be a huge miss, we will really miss his tenacity and bite in the middle of the park. With Matthews also out we don’t have any other midfielder capable of doing that role. It’s one that’s likely going to be quite important too, as Motherwell, despite being underperforming, will certainly have more of the ball. 

It’s a shame because with a full team I think we could really give Motherwell a scare, but I fancy we’ll be a couple of players short. 

Are they really going to be missing ? Or is this one of these instances when supposed injured players miraculously recover in time.

I ask because the weaker Raith are the better for our shower of shysters who might actually perform and win. 

You also have a game this Wed v Dundee in some cup competition - not great for that either I would assume ? Does anyone actually care about this midweek Challenge cup game ? It is a semi final after all..

8 hours ago, welldaft said:

Are they really going to be missing ? Or is this one of these instances when supposed injured players miraculously recover in time.

I ask because the weaker Raith are the better for our shower of shysters who might actually perform and win. 

You also have a game this Wed v Dundee in some cup competition - not great for that either I would assume ? Does anyone actually care about this midweek Challenge cup game ? It is a semi final after all..

There's no definitive news yet but they both went off with hamstring niggles and I would be very surprised if either made it. One of them (Lewis Vaughan) has recently come back from his 4th ACL and there's no chance he'll be risked unless he's 100% fit.

As far as the Dundee game goes I'm sure we'd all rather win on Saturday. I would expect that we'll make 2 or 3 changes on Wednesday but the injuries we picked up on Saturday limit our options a bit. Whatever the result, what we do not need on Wednesday is extra time. 

Gullan and Vaughan both went off with hamstring injuries at Arbroath on Saturday. They’re normally a couple of weeks in the best case scenario, Gullan especially has been in and out for months with a hamstring issue. If one or both make it I suspect they won’t really be fit. 

Akio is our other striker, who is definitely cup-tied, which would leave us with no strikers. And Scott Brown our captain is definitely suspended, which leaves us with no holding midfielders given the club captain Ross Matthews is the other holding midfielder and he’s almost definitely out for the season. 

We’re generally pretty good at home, in performance terms at least if not results. I’d be confident of us at least being the better team if we had a recognised striker. The telltale sign will be if we recall young Kieran Mitchell, currently on loan at Bonnyrigg. If we don’t, then at least one of Gullan/Vaughan must be making it. If they’re all out it’s hard to even pick a team for us to be honest. McBride up front with Stanton behind? Easton sitting alongside Spencer, Ngwenya on the wing? A bench of a goalie, Young Masson? 

I'd have Stanton as most likely to be asked to sit in the midfield, with Easton as the 10 and Ngwenya on the left.

At least McBride is coming into it on the back of a goal, but I'm not sure he'd managed a shot on target prior to that, so expecting him to make a real impact in a lone striker role against Premiership opposition feels like several bridges too far. 

You don't want to be recalling folk for the sake of one match, but even having Aaron Arnott back would have been a useful option to have.

If we recall Mitchell we have the option of using him either wide left or up front at least. Not that I would be expecting a huge impact from him against a Premiership club.

The worst case scenario of course is that someone else picks up a knock against Dundee....

I like the repeated references to Premiership club. Factually correct of course.

But in reality we are a championship team in waiting based on the last month of non performances. 

We too have injuries to contend with. Mandron who scored 2 goals v Arbroath in his 1st start promptly injured himself the following week in training. Blaney our new CB from Sligo went off injured v St Johnstone. To be fair we have added depth to the squad from the Jan transfer window but we are woeful at the moment. 

All that said if Hammell can actually pick a decent starting 11 and we have the right tactics and mindset I would expect to win. That is a BIG if however. So A Raith win here would not be a surprise to most Well fans. Also be the final final straw for Hammell imho.

I don’t care how bad Motherwell seem to be at the moment, they’ll have way too much for us. Injuries and suspensions and no money to strengthen was and is our undoing, also the signing of players that are already cup tied doesn’t help. The chance to play an average (no offence) Motherwell only to get hammered ( hope not) would hurt like hell. Especially having to Play Dundee tomorrow fills me with even more dread. We need a Depleted Rovers v Aberdeen miracle for a win here. 

I've decided to forget about the league stuff (and missing the Aberdeen game on Saturday was good for my mood generally) and just look forward to the type of cup game that I always want but we don't often get - can't fucking wait.

I was at the 4-1 game in 1991 and I still remember the shock in the away crowd that this could be happening but Rovers were on an upward path at that point obviously. I also remember a last (away?) game of the season in the early 90's when a late direct freekick from Rovers made it 3-3 and meant we ultimately finished 3rd instead of 2nd (and finished 4 points behind Rangers who won it that year, Sellic 4th).

Last time I was in Kirkcaldy, I went to the Starks Bar in Links St - and that isn't even a thing any more - so I'll need to find a new place ahead of next season....

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've decided to forget about the league stuff (and missing the Aberdeen game on Saturday was good for my mood generally) and just look forward to the type of cup game that I always want but we don't often get - can't fucking wait.

I was at the 4-1 game in 1991 and I still remember the shock in the away crowd that this could be happening but Rovers were on an upward path at that point obviously. I also remember a last (away?) game of the season in the early 90's when a late direct freekick from Rovers made it 3-3 and meant we ultimately finished 3rd instead of 2nd (and finished 4 points behind Rangers who won it that year, Sellic 4th).

Last time I was in Kirkcaldy, I went to the Starks Bar in Links St - and that isn't even a thing any more - so I'll need to find a new place ahead of next season....

The 3-3 match would have been the 93-94 season and it was the penultimate match. Peter Hetherston scored the freekick. We went to Tannadice in the last match and beat Dundee United the week before they won the Scottish Cup. Of course, we had been relegated a few weeks beforehand so it was all too little too late.

Motherwell had an excellent team back then.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The 3-3 match would have been the 93-94 season and it was the penultimate match. Peter Hetherston scored the freekick. We went to Tannadice in the last match and beat Dundee United the week before they won the Scottish Cup. Of course, we had been relegated a few weeks beforehand so it was all too little too late.

Motherwell had an excellent team back then.

Motherwell have reared some real quality in the past. I remember that game. Well were a quality side and Silky’s goal was special, pity we couldn’t do that throughout that season

Edited by baillieinleeds