Raith Rovers v Motherwell (Scottish Cup Round 5)

roverthemoon

12 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Good to have a meeting between two teams who haven’t met for a while. All Rovers fans can put their Martin Nelson lobbing Seb Dykstra memories in here…

Ah remember it well, chip from the main stand touchline over 8' 6" Seib Dykstra who was standing on the goalline😜, anyway another performance like that will do

We are not on the best form obviously but yet our away form is considerably better than home form. So ironically this being at Starks Park may not be such a bad thing.

We are adding a few players and our new striker scored 2 goals at Arbroath in his 1st start. It was a fairly routine win but it was helped by Arbroath creating virtually nothing during the 90 minutes. Expect a much tougher game v Raith. 

We do tend to score in most games. It has been our comic cuts defence that have let us down.

How are Raith playing at the moment and where are your strengths ? How confident are you of causing what would be a minor upset? 

5 hours ago, welldaft said:

We are not on the best form obviously but yet our away form is considerably better than home form. So ironically this being at Starks Park may not be such a bad thing.

We are adding a few players and our new striker scored 2 goals at Arbroath in his 1st start. It was a fairly routine win but it was helped by Arbroath creating virtually nothing during the 90 minutes. Expect a much tougher game v Raith. 

We do tend to score in most games. It has been our comic cuts defence that have let us down.

How are Raith playing at the moment and where are your strengths ? How confident are you of causing what would be a minor upset? 

Fairly average to be fair. Unbeaten in 8 but far to many draws and we haven't beaten anyone in the league apart from Hamilton since October. Reasonably strong in midfield but we don't have much of a goal threat. To compensate for the lack of goals we signed a 6ft 8 Faroe Islands international striker who never actually gets to play. Unless Motherwell are complete rank I'm not expecting an upset.

18 hours ago, welldaft said:

Probably got the best midfield in the league, a bang average defence, and virtually nothing in the way of centre forwards.

I don't think we will play bad, but we generally need a few fantastic chances for every goal scored, a luxury we will be unlikely to get.

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

With the other TV fixtures announced today, this game will take place on Satuday 11th February with a 3pm Kick off.

Of course this is assuming the game doesn't get postponed.

We've had very few games postponed since we got our plastic pitch.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

56 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

We've had very few games postponed since we got our plastic pitch.

Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Aye, but then you've got the likes of livingston.

Again hopefully it will stay that way as well. Will be another good trip to a place we haven't been in a while. And hopefully an entertaining match.

When that 4-1 match at Starks happened (Tuesday, 20th August 1991) I had just recently been at the Motherwell 4 v 3 Dundee United 1991 Scottish Cup Final supporting Motherwell. I had just turned 20 and was in the Rovers end with my pals, wearing my Motherwell bucket hat, which swiftly got pocketed as Rovers humiliated Motherwell and I got lots of slaps on the head and hat chucked about. Craig Brewster scored two that night. Checking out Always Next Season there were 3204 in attendance. Will we beat that on 11th February?

I haven’t been back to Fir Park since 1994. I thought about going to one of European nights, but never did. Most of the boys I used to go to the Motherwell games with don’t go anymore; similar thing happened with Rovers. There must be loads of lapsed 40/50 year old fans kicking about.

Edited by Scary Bear

10 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

When that 4-1 match at Starks happened (Tuesday, 20th August 1991) I had just recently been at the Motherwell 4 v 3 Dundee United 1991 Scottish Cup Final supporting Motherwell. I had just turned 20 and was in the Rovers end with my pals, wearing my Motherwell bucket hat, which swiftly got pocketed as Rovers humiliated Motherwell and I got lots of slaps on the head and hat chucked about. Craig Brewster scored two that night. Checking out Always Next Season there were 3204 in attendance that night. Will we beat that on 11th February?

I haven’t been back to Fir Park since 1994. I thought about going to one of European nights, but never did. Most of the boys I used to go to the Motherwell games with don’t go anymore; similar thing happened with Rovers. There must be loads of lapsed 40/50 year old fans kicking about.

It is perfectly acceptable to admit you are a closet Well fan. 

I remember being at Starks Park a few times but must be over 20 years ago for the last time. Shame in many ways. But that is what happens when you are in the top flight for nearly 40 years. Will come to an end some time. Inevitable. It has been a major miracle to have been this long.

Looking forward to the game. Big time. Living in Edinburgh. Just a wee jaunt over the Forth Rail bridge…..

What are the best boozers near the ground. I expect a decent away support.

On 27/01/2023 at 21:56, welldaft said:

It is perfectly acceptable to admit you are a closet Well fan. 

I remember being at Starks Park a few times but must be over 20 years ago for the last time. Shame in many ways. But that is what happens when you are in the top flight for nearly 40 years. Will come to an end some time. Inevitable. It has been a major miracle to have been this long.

Looking forward to the game. Big time. Living in Edinburgh. Just a wee jaunt over the Forth Rail bridge…..

What are the best boozers near the ground. I expect a decent away support.

Starks Bar is no more. That was the closest pub to the ground.

Nearest pubs are the Novar on Nicol Street, then pubs on the High Street - The Duchess, Penny Farthing, Connells, The Exchequer, Montagues. There’s also The Estuary on Links Street but I’ve not been there for 10 years and have no idea what it’s like these days.

Edited by Scary Bear

Looking forward to this, it'll be another good cup away day. I expect us to bring quite a big crowd through for it. I'm fully expecting a tougher game than Arbroath in the last round. Hope we stick to wearing our dayglo and black kit for this. Does anyone know when tickets will be due to go on sale for this?

Just as a side note, my first Motherwell game was 5-0 win against Raith in April 97, Coyne got a double. Still to this day he's probably the only footballer/famous person I could meet and would be a stuttering mess and not know what to say to him.

Edited by AdamMFC

On 28/01/2023 at 02:10, AdamMFC said:

Looking forward to this, it'll be another good cup away day. I expect us to bring quite a big crowd through for it. I'm fully expecting a tougher game than Arbroath in the last round. Hope we stick to wearing our dayglo and black kit for this. Does anyone know when tickets will be due to go on sale for this?

Just as a side note, my first Motherwell game was 5-0 win against Raith in April 97, Coyne got a double. Still to this day he's probably the only footballer/famous person I could meet and would be a stuttering mess and not know what to say to him.

That was the game where Iain Munro got his jotters in the car park after the game.