Dundee v Raith Rovers (SF)

roverthemoon

1 minute ago, EpicMike said:

I know it's the "Diddy Cup" but I'm raging about this, should have been out of sight at half time then a combination of shite subs and poor finishing lets Raith back in to it.

Then the inevitable shitting it at pens, Andersons was dreadful, looked like he just wanted to get it over with.

I hope Sheridan a speedy recovery but I also hope he never pulls a Dundee jersey on again.

I don't know why he took one - he's not exactly noted for his shooting.

Only Dundee can make going out of the fucking Challenge Cup a sore one.

Blame goes to Bowyer for that. Was 2-0 going on about 6. He decides the game is done and starts to just make subs to get minutes into legs. Madness that at one point at 2-1 we were essentially playing 4-2-4.

As soon as Max Anderson began his approach, I knew he was missing. If ever a player was renowned for not having composure, it's him. Don't think Robinson's penalty was awful. Being the final one, the one to keep us in it he just put that wee bit more than normal into it to try and ensure it hit the corner and that sometimes happens.

Shite one, but on a positive note, some much needed time in the legs for Tolaj and Robinson with the latter obviously essential to our promotion hopes.

Fair play to Raith.  They deserved the win.  We should have had the game dead and buried at half time but Raith took advantage of our poor 2nd half performance and they grew into the game. 

They will be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight.

Good luck in the final.

All the best in the next round Raith. You lads seem to enjoy a cup win at Dens despite being not very good at it in league games. Some team spirit was shown by your lads tonight and you'll be favourites to take the Diddy cup home.

Get Hamilton pumped!

10 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Fair play to Raith.  They deserved the win.  We should have had the game dead and buried at half time but Raith took advantage of our poor 2nd half performance and they grew into the game. 

They will be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight.

Good luck in the final.

Think Murray would prefer not to have put Connolly on as soon as he did, but was quite clear our make shift shape wasn't working. After that we were at least competitive.

Bizarre game. Could have been done and dusted in the first half for Dundee but somehow we hung on. The start of the second half was better but not brilliant and then those two goals. Incredible. Stanton’s was a cracker. We love a diving header on cup games at Dens. Then to win on penalties after being the first to miss. And all with only two outfield subs on the bench. Almost laughable.

Hamilton in the final isn’t exactly the dream final line up but hopefully another great day out. More impressed with the character the team has shown in the last two games to come from behind. Great signs for the future. 

3 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Bizarre game. Could have been done and dusted in the first half for Dundee but somehow we hung on. The start of the second half was better but not brilliant and then those two goals. Incredible. Stanton’s was a cracker. We love a diving header on cup games at Dens. Then to win on penalties after being the first to miss. And all with only two outfield subs on the bench. Almost laughable.

Hamilton in the final isn’t exactly the dream final line up but hopefully another great day out. More impressed with the character the team has shown in the last two games to come from behind. Great signs for the future. 

At least the final won't be played in Hamilton. The team looked dead on their legs in extra time, but showed great character to keep going and keep our run in this tournament going. If Murray had the money Dundee or mcglynn had for that matter... 

Where do you even begin to analyse a game like that?

I guess to start with - well done Raith. After we got our second, it looked like we could have been out of sight by half time. But your players dug in, didn’t put their heads down and kept themselves in it. A third for us would have pretty much killed things stone dead.

For us, it hinged on two things: the subs, and Ashcroft going off. If Ashcroft stays on, I reckon we see out a fairly comfortable 2-0. Not that that’s an excuse; rather, it highlights a glaring problem. That we’re too reliant on one player to even consider keeping a clean sheet. 

As soon as Raith got their first, there was something of an inevitability about proceedings - except it took penalties to ultimately play out, when I fully expected a 93rd minute winner. 

A few players had terrible games. Cammy was at fault for both goals and the less said about McCowan the better. It was as if we went into a time loop when he spurned the exact same chance twice in a minute. It was as if we went into a time loop when he spurned the exact same chance twice in a minute.

As others said, it was very predictable that Robinson was going to miss his penalty. Leaving him till last was an odd choice, I think. By the time you reach a 5th taker, it’s going to be vital one way or another so piling that much pressure on someone who’s not fully match fit and been put on such a high pedestal…there was only going to be one outcome.

Anyway…all the best to Raith in the final. And it there’s any consolation for us, it’s that we don’t need to play a 6th game this season against the Hamilton hammer-throwers #NotReallyASilverLining.