St Mirren against Motherwell

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Yeah mate.

He’s playing in front of more fans in a better stadium plus making more money?

A step up in my books anyway.

I hope you stay up this season as you bring a half decent crowd compared to county etc.

Pished and read that totally wrong 🤣🤣

I thought Motherwell played well for the first 15 minutes, played some nice quick football and looked threatening on a couple of occasions. That was combined with St Mirren looking miles off it, unable to hold on to the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes and being generally untidy. After St Mirren scored you could see the confidence it gave them, coupled with Motherwell’s apathy for the rest of the game meant we managed to take the win without ever really looking like we were going to throw it away, with a couple of exceptions late on. 

Shoutout to Main though, his constant pressing forced Motherwells defence in to more than a few mistakes, and I think he upped Grieves workrate as well because they both put in a shift. Can’t remember a St Mirren player ever going from such a target of the boo boys to a player that is universally loved in the space of less than a season. I’ve never been one to shout or hate on our own players, but I’m sure everyone can admit that Curtis Main was a hard watch under Goodwin. He looked lazy, struggled to finish with any quality and at times was more of a hinderance to our attack than a help. Absolutely none of that can be said about him now. His finish today was class, and Robinson says he has been working on near post runs getting across the face of the defenders, and that’s evident. He scored a goal away to Livingston which was as a result of him getting across the defence at the near post and providing a good finish at the end of it, similar to today.

Really enjoying watching this team at the minute. It’s not free flowing football or anything like it, but it’s militant organisation and maximum effort every game, which is all the fans can ask for. 

Seen better games, seen a lot worse. Deserved win, nice to see us keep 11 men on the park, and having gone 1-0 up, to actually see it through and not concede a last gasp sickener. Also great to see a goal from open play. Will take the three points and the clean sheet gladly. No-one really shone, but no-one shirked.

1-0, 3 points? Happy days.

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I thought Motherwell played well for the first 15 minutes, played some nice quick football and looked threatening on a couple of occasions. That was combined with St Mirren looking miles off it, unable to hold on to the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes and being generally untidy. After St Mirren scored you could see the confidence it gave them, coupled with Motherwell’s apathy for the rest of the game meant we managed to take the win without ever really looking like we were going to throw it away, with a couple of exceptions late on. 

Shoutout to Main though, his constant pressing forced Motherwells defence in to more than a few mistakes, and I think he upped Grieves workrate as well because they both put in a shift. Can’t remember a St Mirren player ever going from such a target of the boo boys to a player that is universally loved in the space of less than a season. I’ve never been one to shout or hate on our own players, but I’m sure everyone can admit that Curtis Main was a hard watch under Goodwin. He looked lazy, struggled to finish with any quality and at times was more of a hinderance to our attack than a help. Absolutely none of that can be said about him now. His finish today was class, and Robinson says he has been working on near post runs getting across the face of the defenders, and that’s evident. He scored a goal away to Livingston which was as a result of him getting across the defence at the near post and providing a good finish at the end of it, similar to today.

Really enjoying watching this team at the minute. It’s not free flowing football or anything like it, but it’s militant organisation and maximum effort every game, which is all the fans can ask for. 

I wonder if the Main situation will lead to our fans being a bit more patient and willing to give players a chance before completely writing them off?

Lol, only kidding, no chance.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

It wasn't a great performance to be fair, we've played way better in the supposedly disastrous 1 win in 10 and drawn or lost, but I suppose that was against far better teams. I thought a few guys had off days, O'Hara was strangely quiet, Strain struggled a bit and Gogic doesn't look as comfortable in defence, I think he's not instinctive enough and can overplay it a bit. Erhahon was a bit patchy as well, had some great touches and passes, but like most of the team, was a bit guilty of dwelling on the ball a bit and giving it away. Carson and Fraser played pretty well.

Still, a win is a win. Motherwell look very poor though and wouldn't be surprised to see them in real trouble in a few weeks time. Very pissed off about the Ayunga injury, was caused by the ref who should have stopped the game far earlier than he did for a couple of fouls, which he chose to ignore.

This exactly re Ayunga, this nonsense of letting play go then pulling it back when an infringement was obvious lead to that injury.

I thought we slightly had the better of the first 15 minutes then the standard soft goal was conceded.  Kelly just assumed the ball would come to him, it didn’t.

I only remember one save in the match, the one where Carson hurt his head. Did that mean we attacked the goal at some point?

I think Carson and Dunne are the only ex-players that get applauded by the Motherwell fans.  Turnbull possibly but I’ve never seen it.

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

I wonder if the Main situation will lead to our fans being a bit more patient and willing to give players a chance before completely writing them off?

Lol, only kidding, no chance.

Not a chance. I always remember the game we had signed a young boy on loan from Blackpool one January, and he came on late in a game one Saturday. He took a bad touch just in front of the West Stand about 45 seconds after coming on, and the ball rolled out for a throw. He came over to the advertising board to get the ball and a guy in the second row shouted ‘Away back to Blackpool ya donkey, you’re fucking hopeless’, or something along those lines. The player heard it and gave a sort of perplexed look at the fan, and a few other guys sitting round about us had a right go at him, rightly so imo. Even this season I’ve heard shouts and muttering in the stands aimed at Erhahon, Dunne, Baccus and Ayunga. Some people don’t get the whole idea of going to actually support the team and love having someone to aim their ire at. 

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

This exactly re Ayunga, this nonsense of letting play go then pulling it back when an infringement was obvious lead to that injury.

He gave a free kick against Ayunga at that incident as well :lol:  Think it was Lamie who went in strongly (and fairly), and cleared the ball out for a throw. His trailing leg followed through and swiped Jonah around the ankles, obviously causing him to twist his knee. Christ knows what Beaton seen to award the free kick against us, but that was just one of numerous perplexing calls he made today. 

8 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

Having seen it back on sportscene i have no idea how Motherwell didn’t get a penalty in the first half 

When it went to an official VAR check I thought it was a nailed on penalty. Couldn’t believe when Beaton played on. I had the advantage of watching a few replays of it on the live stream, and although you could argue Lamie barges Dunne to start with, there’s definitely an arm round Lamie and he gets dragged to the ground. 

22 minutes ago, ropy said:

I thought we slightly had the better of the first 15 minutes then the standard soft goal was conceded.  Kelly just assumed the ball would come to him, it didn’t.

I only remember one save in the match, the one where Carson hurt his head. Did that mean we attacked the goal at some point?

I think Carson and Dunne are the only ex-players that get applauded by the Motherwell fans.  Turnbull possibly but I’ve never seen it.

Did Carson not save from McKinstry in the final minutes? BBC has 2 shots on target each so those two, the goal and the free kick that Kelly saved easily. I thought it was a pretty even game and a draw would have been fair but we're losing too many soft goals and even games because of it.

I saw Dunne being applauded but was amazed at the abuse being shouted at Carson when he was getting treatment. There really are some absolute roasters in our support. 

3 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Did Carson not save from McKinstry in the final minutes? BBC has 2 shots on target each so those two, the goal and the free kick that Kelly saved easily. I thought it was a pretty even game and a draw would have been fair but we're losing too many soft goals and even games because of it.

I saw Dunne being applauded but was amazed at the abuse being shouted at Carson when he was getting treatment. There really are some absolute roasters in our support. 

I thought McKinstry’s shot was blocked by a defender, could be wrong.

Haven’t seen it back yet but in real time the Motherwell player’s focus was on winning a penalty and thought he tried to orchestrate a penalty. Possibly VAR panel saw that as well. Many teams seem to be coached these days more on how to win penalties at corners than how to score goals from them. At a corner just before or after that incident Van Veen was trying a similar move trying to interlock arms with his marker ready to go down.  Hate that aspect of the modern game. 

20 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

Having seen it back on sportscene i have no idea how Motherwell didn’t get a penalty in the first half 

I had ‘open all mics’ on in one ear at the game today (wanted to tune in to what was a guaranteed shitshow at Easter Road), and Tom English said the same on the radio - looked like a definite penalty. Guarantee you one thing - if that was at The Rangers, penalty to The Rangers and a red card for Dunne.

19 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

Haven’t seen it back yet but in real time the Motherwell player’s focus was on winning a penalty and thought he tried to orchestrate a penalty. Possibly VAR panel saw that as well. Many teams seem to be coached these days more on how to win penalties at corners than how to score goals from them. At a corner just before or after that incident Van Veen was trying a similar move trying to interlock arms with his marker ready to go down.  Hate that aspect of the modern game. 

Understand what you’re saying but I can’t remember the last time I seen a penalty given at a corner for grappling in the box. 99 times out of 100 the referee blows the whistle before the corner has been took, or blows for a non existent foul in favour of the defending team. It’s very rare to see the defending team penalised, even though VAR should be intervening in far more of those corner incidents than it does. 

There is a camera angle that shows Lamie leaning into Dunne before they fall over, so it was a bit dubious either way. Still surprised it wasn’t given (as they usually are against us) and I have the same fear every game with Dunne’s marking at corners. Looked like the Well players were looking to exploit it too. Hope Dunne gets a bit smarter as it is a matter of time before he is penalised.