St Mirren against Motherwell

24 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

Haven’t seen it back yet but in real time the Motherwell player’s focus was on winning a penalty and thought he tried to orchestrate a penalty. Possibly VAR panel saw that as well. Many teams seem to be coached these days more on how to win penalties at corners than how to score goals from them. At a corner just before or after that incident Van Veen was trying a similar move trying to interlock arms with his marker ready to go down.  Hate that aspect of the modern game. 

We seem to be coached to give catching practice to opposition keepers at corners.

Our corners are dire. Our goal threat from corners is non-existent.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We seem to be coached to give catching practice to opposition keepers at corners.

Our corners are dire. Our goal threat from corners is non-existent.

Aye said exactly this today.  Our corners are fuckin terrible 

Just now, Biscuits said:

Aye said exactly this today.  Our corners are fuckin terrible 

We had about half a dozen today. Kelly caught about four of them unchallenged. The others were cleared by defenders.

With the likes of Gogic , Dunne, Gallagher, Ayunga and Main in there we should be causing more problems.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

We had about half a dozen today. Kelly caught about four of them unchallenged. The others were cleared by defenders.

With the likes of Gogic , Dunne, Gallagher, Ayunga and Main in there we should be causing more problems.

There was a couple of corners today, I’m mainly thinking about two inswingers from Strain in the second half, that were actually good deliveries. They were whipped in with good pace, in to a good area, and we had absolutely nobody near it which allowed Kelly to come out and claim. 

I noticed as well today, that at every corner we seem to have 3 or 4 players standing on or near the goalkeeper, almost under the crossbar. I’m no set piece coach but surely in order to give yourself the best chance of scoring you want your players running on to the incoming ball, rather than having half the team in the 6 yard box crowded out by the opposition. 

I thought at the time that Lamie had played for the penalty. That's not to say it's not a penalty, just that I can see why it wouldn't be given. I am surprised, though, when it was reviewed, Beaton stuck with the initial decision.

Other than that I agree with most of what people have said. Thought Ayunga looked lively when he came on, which is what you want to see from your strikers when benched. Robinson mentioned injuries in his post match, I presume he's one and possibly Carson?

18 minutes ago, FTOF said:

There was some kind of breakdown with the corners today, beyond just poor delivery, they were all arguing with each other over it. I think Strain thought he was putting them where they were supposed to go and someone was supposed to be attacking them at the front post or challenging Kelly, but it wasn't happening at all.

TBH, our corners were ok earlier in the season when Erhahon was taking them.

There certainly needs to be more variety at corners. Strain putting in inswingers for the keeper to catch wasn't working so why not Tanser take an outswinger or play the ball back to Tanser for a deeper cross?

Put someone on the near post for a flick on or cut it back to the edge of the box for a "Teddy Sheringham" shot at goal.

Edited by Arch Stanton

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Thought Ayunga looked lively when he came on, which is what you want to see from your strikers when benched. Robinson mentioned injuries in his post match, I presume he's one and possibly Carson?

Ayunga going for a scan on his knee and Carson going for a scan on his hand. Watching on TV, Carson looked to be in some discomfort after that incident and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s broken a bone in the back of his hand going by his reaction. He seemed fine after it, but with Robinson mentioning it post match it’s obviously more than just a bruise. Hopefully it doesn’t require him spending any time on the sidelines. 

That was an absolutely nothing game yesterday.  There was no bad tackles and neither keeper had anything of note to do. 

Kelly had a tame free kick to catch and Carson had a weak McGinn strike then the chance from McKinstry in stoppage time. That obviously suited St Mirren more since we’d already gifted them another soft as shite goal.