Darvel vs Falkirk - 5th round

47 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I would love to see Darvel in the quarter finals, but can’t see Falkirk allowing themselves to play the same way we did against them. Unfortunately this will probably be a 3/4 goal win by Falkirk. Hope I’m wrong.

I hope so, but don't see it being quite so comfortable. Falkirk have no excuses for any surprise element, everyone has seen what happened v Montrose and Aberdeen. I don't think Falkirk will take the match as casually as Aberdeen did. 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Unfortunately this will probably be a 3/4 goal win by Falkirk. Hope I’m wrong.

Could happen and there is perhaps a little bit of pressure on Darvel now with increased expectation, but you just have to look through the squad to see they shouldn't be losing by 3 or 4 goals to Falkirk. They've already pumped Montrose 5-2 away as well as beating Aberdeen and if they were in League One this season they would certainly be above Clyde and Peterhead at least. If they play to potential it will be a test for Falkirk. 

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Just got to hope McGlynn keeps the heid and doesn't overthink it. We all know he has a tactical brainfart mod he likes to install now and again and I'd really prefer he kept things to the same XI/XVI that have been doing so well over the last month.

That’s the million pound question. JMcG has a nasty habit of fiddling to fiddle, especially as the season progresses. For the first half he stays consistent, but in the second half his results tend to drop off as teams see his side a third and fourth time, and he overthinks the tactical aspects of that. Darvel, at least, is a new opponent, but there is a lot of inadvertent pressure on Falkirk here not to Aberdeen it…and that may well cause JMcG to try one of his brainwaves. If Smudger has input, he might rein changes in, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Just got to hope McGlynn keeps the heid and doesn't overthink it. We all know he has a tactical brainfart mod he likes to install now and again and I'd really prefer he kept things to the same XI/XVI that have been doing so well over the last month.

I'd like to this he got that out of the road at Alloa

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

Could happen and there is perhaps a little bit of pressure on Darvel now with increased expectation, but you just have to look through the squad to see they shouldn't be losing by 3 or 4 goals to Falkirk. They've already pumped Montrose 5-2 away as well as beating Aberdeen and if they were in League One this season they would certainly be above Clyde and Peterhead at least. If they play to potential it will be a test for Falkirk. 

I'm not getting this Darvel are League 1 standard talk. You can lift your game to do well in 2 or 3 Cup games, maybe helped a bit by being underestimated by the opposition and high on the hype surrounding your games, but it's a different test altogether over a full season. I'm not overly familiar with Darvel's squad tbh apart from 1 or 2, but I'd be surprised if many  League 1 Managers would be queueing up to sign them. 

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I'm not getting this Darvel are League 1 standard talk. You can lift your game to do well in 2 or 3 Cup games, maybe helped a bit by being underestimated by the opposition and high on the hype surrounding your games, but it's a different test altogether over a full season. I'm not overly familiar with Darvel's squad tbh apart from 1 or 2, but I'd be surprised if many  League 1 Managers would be queueing up to sign them. 

I think the Darvel manager mentioned on Friday night that Ian McShane was his best player.

if his performance at Falkirk was anything to go by then I’m not so worried about the quality of their players…..

On 09/02/2023 at 18:31, kingjoey said:

It seemed that everyone who was there that night (😭) was able to see. I got in early so was at the front and because the terracing had been built up I had a great of view of everything that happened. 

That isn't true quite a lot of people that arrived 15 minutes before kick-off had a poor view of the game. If you wasn't in the front 2 or 3 and not that tall then you struggled to see the game 

28 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I'd be surprised if many  League 1 Managers would be queueing up to sign them. 

they went there for good wages and fancied the project ,  and I dont think any league 1 manager could tempt them even if he wanted to , a bit like kelty when they were in the lowland league .

Edited by Vegetableman

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I would love to see Darvel in the quarter finals, but can’t see Falkirk allowing themselves to play the same way we did against them. Unfortunately this will probably be a 3/4 goal win by Falkirk. Hope I’m wrong.

I expect it to be tougher than that for Falkirk although they are on a decent winning run so it is possible. I think Darvel are a top League 2 team and the next few years it will be interesting to see if they continued to be bankrolled up the divisions. 

Edited by betting competition

39 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I would normally agree that cup games are not a barometer of how a team would do in a higher league but Darvel is not a normal situation, a lot of those boys are playing well below where they could be. I'd happily take a few of their players at Alloa. In this particular League One season Peterhead and Clyde are shite and there is no doubt Darvel have better players than them (and have spent considerably more cash on their squad). They'd also be better and more expensively assembled than several League Two sides. 

10 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I would normally agree that cup games are not a barometer of how a team would do in a higher league but Darvel is not a normal situation, a lot of those boys are playing well below where they could be. I'd happily take a few of their players at Alloa. In this particular League One season Peterhead and Clyde are shite and there is no doubt Darvel have better players than them (and have spent considerably more cash on their squad). They'd also be better and more expensively assembled than several League Two sides. 

That is why I think Queen Park was a bigger shock in the cup for Aberdeen. I think i'm in the minority of Aberdeen fans that think that.

Darvel also beat Stranraer away from home last season Scottish Cup.

Edited by betting competition

8 minutes ago, betting competition said:

That is why I think Queen Park was a bigger shock in the cup for Aberdeen. I think i'm in the minority of Aberdeen fans that think that.

Darvel also beat Stranraer away from home last season Scottish Cup.

Stenhousemuir against Aberdeen was certainly a bigger shock back in the day, they had considerably less resource at the time than Darvel. Tier 6 v tier 1 is going to attract lots of attention but Darvel's cash and the fact that the pyramid isn't near settling makes it very misleading.