Biggest cup shock

lowland star

Thanks to the OP's lack of definition on "cup" I'm obliged to pipe up with Aberdeen's last knockout at the feet of a diddy team, Queen's Park, in the 2nd round of the League Cup in 2006-7. 0-0 after 120 mins, 5-3 on pens. QP were in tier 4 at the time and went on to win promotion in the same year. Aberdeen ended their season in third spot in the Premier league.

2 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Rangers 2 - Cowdenbeath 3  - League Cup 1949.

Sadly somewhat tempered by home leg finishing 1-3 aet and you losing the tie!

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Thanks to the OP's lack of definition on "cup"

Edinburgh University 5-2 Hearts (SF 1881-82) and Mossend Swifts 1-0 Hibs (1887-88 Final) were huge Edinburgh Shield shocks.

A Cup Shock can often be a bit of a smash and grab with the big team unlucky. For my team the 4-0 humping from Stenny in 1995 was a complete gubbing and should have at least been 6. 
We had a decent side back then and trotted out like Billy big baws, and got completely hounded. 
To make matters worse, we signed their right back Euan Donaldson for 90 grand and he was utter garbage and hardly kicked a baw for us. 

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Sadly somewhat tempered by home leg finishing 1-3 aet and you losing the tie!

Edinburgh University 5-2 Hearts (SF 1881-82) and Mossend Swifts 1-0 Hibs (1887-88 Final) were huge Edinburgh Shield shocks.

Sadly indeed. I was there at Central Park which had Cowden's largest ever crowd - way over 26,000. Cowden went 4 - 2 up with a early goal from  big Ming.

Rangers got the equalizer with 30 seconds of normal time to go !!

11 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Brora (v Hearts 20/21) and Albion Rovers (v Motherwell 13/14) were both bigger odds to win their ties than Darvel. Last night is obviously up there as one of the biggest in recent history but the number of league places between the sides is a bit of a misnomer due to the recent amalgamation of the pyramid and the bottleneck at tiers 5 and 6. That Darvel side would be fine in L2 imo.

They would be fine in L1. Clearly have a better side (and budget) than some L1 sides. Obviously already horsed Montrose 5-2 and they are considerably better than Peterhead and Clyde. I'd be very happy to have the likes of Kilpatrick and Meggat back at Alloa. 

We have people looking at it and seeing tier 6 and that it's the greatest shock ever but has to be seen in context of Darvel's huge budget. It's not a tier 6 squad or anything near it. While still a great achievement, it definitely isn't the greatest shock ever. Not even Aberdeen's worst defeat, I'd say Stenny's win over the Dons in 94 was a bigger shock given Stenny weren't financially doped (and Aberdeen had a good team then, even if they weren't having a good season). 

I'll throw in Alloa's Central League team of 1921 who beat top flight Falkirk (after 4 games) and top flight Clydebank (after 3). Then drew 0-0 at Ibrox with Alloa fans claiming a late effort crossed the line. Only lost after the board agreed a pay off to play the replay at Ibrox as well. Alloa made it back there as First Division equals of Rangers within 18 months.