Airdrie V Alloa - The A Teams

35 minutes ago, AlloaAdam said:

I’m sure the players will miss your positive outlook.

Listen,I'm made up for you if you enjoy what's on offer,and that's your right,but I stand by my opinion,that was shite today,and not for the first time this season under Rice.A good few players just aren't at it at all,aren't good enough.If we continue down this path,my seat won't be the only empty one,and maybe empty next season with the tactical marvel in the dugout.But I've only cheered Alloa on for fifty three years,so maybe I'm not all that entitled to have an opinion.But I don't hold grudges,so I really hope you enjoy the rest of the season,I honestly do.All I want is a successful Alloa.

Edited by Alloa 68

47 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

Listen,I'm made up for you if you enjoy what's on offer,and that's your right,but I stand by my opinion,that was shite today,and not for the first time this season under Rice.A good few players just aren't at it at all,aren't good enough.If we continue down this path,my seat won't be the only empty one,and maybe empty next season with the tactical marvel in the dugout.But I've only cheered Alloa on for fifty three years,so maybe I'm not all that entitled to have an opinion.But I don't hold grudges,so I really hope you enjoy the rest of the season,I honestly do.All I want is a successful Alloa.

Saying all you want is a successful Alloa while also saying you won't be back to support the team while Rice is here, a team that no matter what you think of his tactics is a point off the playoffs, is a contradiction. No matter the tactics on the pitch the players still need support from the sides and staying away solves nothing.

Was blatantly obvious today that playing 2 in midfield against probably the best footballing side was never going to work and he should have changed it when Airdrie were missing sitter after sitter at 1-0 to put an extra body in midfield. Jon Robertson, despite being poor with his distribution today and very negative, was completely exposed and had a thankless task trying to handle Airdrie's attacking midfielder's who had all the space in the world.

I'm as pissed off as everyone else is at today's performance, an annoying occurence away at Airdrie over the last few seasons, but having only lost 2 of our last 11 in the league it's not as bad or as much of a crisis as it has been made out by some on here. As far as I'm concerned we still quite obviously need a striker as Conor Sammon is pretty hopeless (regardless of his goal stats this season) and I reckon we need a holding midfielder as well to add a bit of bite. We're still well in the mix and there's a long way to go, a back 4 with 2 actual centre half's at some point would be nice though!

2 hours ago, Dink said:

I'm not someone who has been shouting for Rice's head but I'm really unimpressed with his interview today. He piles the blame on the players without acknowledging any issues with the way that he sets the team up.

He's done that a few times now and it doesn't come across well at all. 

Last week was the first time I felt there was real hope for the rest of the season. It was a really encouraging performance, albeit we lost and there were clearly a few issues still to be addressed. To follow that up with a 4-0 humping is really disappointing. The defence was an accident waiting to happen though and there is no excuse for it when we have centre backs on the bench. 2 full-backs in a back 3 and an attacking centre mid as 1 of the wing backs? 

I think Rice hasn't done too badly at all with his recruitment to be fair. There is a squad there well capable of making the top four. The ongoing issue is how he deploys his players. 

Well what can i say (can i do hospitality every week).

Superb day out and excellent team performance. Thought some of the football played today was better than last season.

No joke, today we could of won about 10-0. We were that good, we made a decent Alloa team look bang average. 

Stand outs for me were Telfer, McGill, Gal, Frizz and Dycey. Hard to fault anyone.

Spoke to Stuart Miller in hospitality and it was like he was watching a different game from me. I thought when Byrd came on he looked pretty decent (albeit we were 4-0 up and cruising) but he said he looked 'raw' and didn't like him. If Mr Miller can't get on the Lachie Byrd hype train he can GTF 😄.

Edited by David Fernández

9 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Well what can i say (can i do hospitality every week).

Superb day out and excellent team performance. Thought some of the football played today was better than last season.

No joke, today we could of won about 10-0. We were that good, we made a decent Alloa team look bang average. 

Stand outs for me were Telfer, McGill, Gal, Frizz and Dycey. Hard to fault anyone.

Spoke to Stuart Miller in hospitality and it was liKe he was watching a different game from me. I thought when Byrd came on he looked pretty decent (albeit we were 4-0 up and cruising) but he said he looked 'raw' and didn't like him. If Mr Miller can't get on the Lachie Byrd hype train he can GTF 😄.

Given the jobbers that he lumbered us with, that might actually be a good thing!

Late night post as I was out in the toon for the first time in years.

That was the best performance this season and as many have said , could have been so much more. While much of this was due to our speedy attacks and recovery of the second ball, I had to agree with someone who said Alloa's front three and weird defence , let us grab the game. Donnelly had a few chances from far out but his lack of engagement in that position was wiped out by McCabe. 

I did think it might be high scoring but will settle for four as Hogarth did make some great saves.

Ten out of ten, now turn it up to 11 over Clyde.

Just watched the highlights and forgot how many clear cut chances we actually had. Smith should have had at least 2 and Gal should’ve been on a hat trick. 

Some of the football was excellent from front to back. Our front three were excellent and were linking up very well. Would like to see some of our new signings get a chance next week. Stanway came on and looked quite neat and tidy. 

Looking a lot stronger now and should be having a go now. Big 3 weeks ahead

Well that was fucking class. Easily the best performance of this season and, Montrose play-off tie aside, maybe the best performance of the last two seasons. As others have said, could easily have been 8, 9, 10 if not for some poor finishing and great goalkeeping by Hogarth. The whole team was outstanding. Gal well worthy of his two goals and MotM award. That might be him on 50 goals now? The linkup between the front three yesterday was superb and Gabby and Smith worked hard and deserved to score, and probably should have. Telfer was the best player on the park for me. Frizzell close to back to his best and McCabe's performance gave balance and allowed them both to play. Fordyce likewise close to back to his best. Like the Kelty game he won his headers and challenges and kept it simple. More of the same please! ATS strolled it and him and Fordyce kept Sammon and Donnelly quiet who can both be a handful. McGregor again looked like a threat and I'm excited to see more of him. Stanway and Devenny played their part. And enjoyed Big Byrd's cameo! He's raw and I don't think right-back is his natural position. But he kept things simple and won his fair share of headers and challenges. He at least looked and played like a footballer... Consistency has been an issue for us and, while we're not going to play like that every week, if we can or even get close to it we will beat everyone. I think 5 of our next 7 games at home so that's a tremendous opportunity to really cement a play-off place and build some momentum. 

41 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Just watched the highlights and forgot how many clear cut chances we actually had. Smith should have had at least 2 and Gal should’ve been on a hat trick. 

The first 15 minutes alone were ridiculous. Fordyce’s headed goal, Church clearing one off the line, Gallagher’s lob which Hogarth had to make a good save for and then Hogarth picking one up on the line at the back post. I did have the fear at that point that it could be one of those days but thankfully Gallagher did what he does best a few minutes later.

Strange interview with Brian Rice. It would appear that everyone else was at fault apart from him. Named and shamed one player but didn’t recognise his keeper for saving them from an absolute hammering. No recognition of the fact that he appeared to have no idea how to deal with a rampant Airdrie. Bullied? No. Outplayed and outthought? Yes.

On most occasions over the years our games against Alloa have be tight affairs, but not yesterday.

7 hours ago, Elgindiamond said:

Strange interview with Brian Rice. It would appear that everyone else was at fault apart from him. Named and shamed one player but didn’t recognise his keeper for saving them from an absolute hammering. No recognition of the fact that he appeared to have no idea how to deal with a rampant Airdrie. Bullied? No. Outplayed and outthought? Yes.

On most occasions over the years our games against Alloa have be tight affairs, but not yesterday.

It's not a strange interview though,it's the norm.He can't see that the way he sets up the team is wrong,and at times utterly baffling,not surprising we perform the way we do.The problem is,he will never change,it's his default setting.people will no doubt disagree.I have one question for Alloa fans though,would you want him in the dugout next season doing the same thing?because it's frustrating now,so god knows what it will feel like in a years time.I don't think he's a bad guy,he's just not a great manager.It's really poor to not take a portion of the blame.

On 28/01/2023 at 20:48, Waspie said:

He's done that a few times now and it doesn't come across well at all. 

Last week was the first time I felt there was real hope for the rest of the season. It was a really encouraging performance, albeit we lost and there were clearly a few issues still to be addressed. To follow that up with a 4-0 humping is really disappointing. The defence was an accident waiting to happen though and there is no excuse for it when we have centre backs on the bench. 2 full-backs in a back 3 and an attacking centre mid as 1 of the wing backs? 

I think Rice hasn't done too badly at all with his recruitment to be fair. There is a squad there well capable of making the top four. The ongoing issue is how he deploys his players. 

I have to admit when I saw the starting line-up I was confident of victory based on what weve seen last few games. But I was surprised he didnt make changes to the defence until later in the second half. Maybe I just under estimated Airdrie as much as he did, I dont know. I agree it probably was an accident waiting to happen and you can only get away with such approaches for so long- but I totally get his frustration with the first goal. And I do think it was more the team completely falling apart in the follow up than the starting lineup and players out of position. He should have changed it definitely- King was all over the place in particular and I dont blame King too much. But I dont think he can be held completely accountable for the normally reliable Taggs and Stanger having an off day. Id rather see Taggs at right back too but hes played centre half under loads of managers, not just Rice.

I'd like to think some folk (not you Waspie 🙂) could actually give some credit to Airdrie who were as outstanding as Alloa were brutal. 

Whether he is a success or a failure will be judged after the business end of the season, and we are still in the mix. We have the best possible fixture next week to bounce back. I agree that we should be doing better at times but he has a squad capable of making top 4, which appeared universally to be deemed a decent outcome if it occurs. A supporter stating he wont be back until Rice is out is silly- after 53 years supporting Alloa there should be a realisation that we've been in many, many worse positions than this over such a huge period. And the same guy had the armageddon bells ringing when 1-0 down at Queen of the South- a game we came back to win with the same basic formation as Saturday.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

37 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

give some credit to Airdrie who were as outstanding as Alloa were brutal. 

Yes this , a combination of both led to the domination and this was 4 going on 8   Good saves from Hogarth but I think he is suspect in commanding his box , As for Away days going on count me out ! only seen one victory personally and that was one we were fortunate to win and still a frustrating day  ( Clyde ) .

As for Mr Rice he is wrong not to take some blame  and the jury is still out on him depending how the rest of the season goes , If saturday is anything to go by and the inconsistency remains we will struggle to make the top 4 only chink of light is the possible fall of Edinburgh FC ,that said Montrose  QOTS and Kelty  are not that far away and we could end up 8th as a worse case scenario , but hopefully not . Give me some hope Chipper please  . 

Edited by Vegetableman

44 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Yes this , a combination of both led to the domination and this was 4 going on 8   Good saves from Hogarth but I think he is suspect in commanding his box , As for Away days going on count me out ! only seen one victory personally and that was one we were fortunate to win and still a frustrating day  ( Clyde ) .

As for Mr Rice he is wrong not to take some blame  and the jury is still out on him depending how the rest of the season goes , If saturday is anything to go by and the inconsistency remains we will struggle to make the top 4 only chink of light is the possible fall of Edinburgh FC ,that said Montrose  QOTS and Kelty  are not that far away and we could end up 8th as a worse case scenario , but hopefully not . Give me some hope Chipper please  . 

That's true hadn't really thought of it before now re away days. Our points return on the road isn't terrible by any means but there hasn't been all that many memorable performances this season...yet. Hopefully this picks up in the next couple of months

In contrast to previous seasons recently where a lot of our best games came away from The Recs- our home form has definitely been a lot stronger so far.

18 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That's true hadn't really thought of it before now re away days. Our points return on the road isn't terrible by any means but there hasn't been all that many memorable performances this season...yet. Hopefully this picks up in the next couple of months

In contrast to previous seasons recently where a lot of our best games came away from The Recs- our home form has definitely been a lot stronger so far.

yeah I remember when our away form was slightly better than home (under goodwin i think funnily enough 😁 ).

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

You could just as validly have said after the two previous Saturdays "if Saturday is anything to go by, we have a very good chance of making the top four".

I get the frustration at Taggs and Church in the back three and personally would prefer to see Andy or Durnan in there.

I also disagree with other aspects of the line up - I think when LD plays behind the front two we can be exposed in midfield, both from a ball retention and defensive shape point of view.

Overall though things ain't that bad and certainly I don't have major complaints about Rice so far. As has been said, he can be properly judged at the end of the season.

ETA Airdrie were outstanding a deserve great credit, I think, irrespective of how we played.

Edited by printer

Would also like to add about Hogarth, I can’t remember the last time he actually made a mistake leading to a goal. The last couple of months especially I think he’s been excellent and while I’d agree that coming for crosses isn’t his biggest strength he doesn’t stick to his line and still comes to try and take the pressure off the defence. We were blessed by having 6ft5 Neil Parry for a while which was probably his biggest strength.

Edited by AlloaAdam