Airdrie V Alloa - The A Teams

Ffs Rice, the Edinburgh result and decent performance against Falkirk papered over the cracks.

Graham and Durnan would surely be a better option than Church in central defence.

No bite in midfield, no speed up front, somehow Rice has made the poor team he inherited from Ferguson not a whole lot better.

Our best three players Cawley, Scougall and Taggart were already there and the majority of permanent and loan players he has bought in have been poor quality and some of the players he retained should have been freed in the Summer.

Given the points difference we can still obviously get top 4 but from what I have seen Airdrie, Falkirk, Edinburgh and Dunfermline are all better than us and we have only picked up 6 points in the 9 games against them and obviously weren't up for the fight today.

Sure Rice will be here until the end of the season but I really wouldn't care if he left.

Back home thankfully,and will not be venturing out to another game this season.We're up one week down the next,don't put pressure on the opposition and allow teams stupid amounts of room to work in.I have to say,and it's only my opinion,but this is the weakest Alloa the in years,and it's hard to see much improvement on last season,some,but not much.

Edited by Alloa 68

Doubt if we'll get any more signings in now,so we could get rid of Rice now,and get a replacement in a.s.a.p.What do we have to lose.Even the most relaxed Alloa fan must see Rice as a failure now.I warned everyone this is the type of manager he was,we've got what we deserved by appointing him.Durnan must be wondering what the hell is going on,if I was him i'd chuck it,he ain't getting anywhere near a starting place anyway.

Edited by Alloa 68

I think Rice signed a contract till the end of next season? So wouldn't be cheap if he was sacked. 

I like his approach to football, playing attacking football but the playing people out of position is getting frustrating. I like the formation we've played the last few weeks but would like to see Taggs at RB with Durnan at CB. Like said above, I'd be frustrated if I was Durnan and sat on the bench.

I don't want him sacked, I'd just like him to play people in their normal positions!

Has there been any confirmed news on Howie? There were rumours he was emigrating but nothing from the club yet

I’m struggling to remember ever seeing Airdrie create as many chances in a league game before. Some of the football going forward today was just sublime. It’s no exaggeration to say we genuinely could have scored double figures and at least should have scored seven or eight. The full game was just a joy to watch.

That was Telfer’s best game yet. I really like him and think he’s done well so far but his form over the last couple of months has really picked up, with today being the standout. Him and Frizzell ran the show from the middle of the park. Telfer was well worth his goal and indeed could have scored more, while the quick play between Gallagher and Frizzell in the second half really deserved a goal. 

On Gallagher, he was just outstanding yet again. His all round game has improved so much this season, he’s really good at knowing when to drop deep and link play and he bullied the Alloa defence today. It’s a shame he never got his hat-trick, I’m not sure he’s ever scored one for us before but he certainly deserved it today. If only that audacious lob early on had went in!

On Alloa, they looked second best all game. The weird front three of Sammon, MacIver and Donnelly didn’t work at all and while Scougall had some good touches as always, it left him and Robertson overrun in the middle. The defence couldn’t handle Airdrie’s speed and movement all game. I thought Andy Graham made a difference when he came on, he’s clearly not the player he was but his intelligence should make him worth starting at centre back ahead of Daniel Church anyway.

Where to start with that performance? Brian Rice, that’s where. WTAF is he thinking with that “defence” against a team with the attacking strength of Airdrie? One central defender and a full back out of position either side. Two recognised central defenders on the bench. Three subs made before an injury forced him to bring big Andy on. Is he fucking blind, it was clear at the first goal we needed Andy in beside Stanger and church and Taggs at full back. This combined with a gutless performance in the middle of the park and some poor finishing made this the toughest watch of the season by far. When Andy came on he made a massive difference, winning headers, tackles and organising. This also helped Stanger to play a bit better. Ruined a good day watching that shit show. Don’t know what’s going on with Andy and Vinny but needs sorted and get players playing in their proper positions. Also, I’m sick of watching Robbo dancing about in front of players without making a tackle and passing the ball backwards. Rant over, time for a beer

Really, really poor today. That's about as bad a performance as I've seen from us and we really couldn't have complained if Airdrie had scored a good few more. We couldn't cope with Airdrie's movement, but when we are exposed that often then there's clearly an issue with the way that we've set up.

Last week we lost two poorly defended goals to crosses and again we were exposed a good few times down the flanks and were then unable to defend the cross. I can't blame Church as he's been getting played out of position (as were Taggart and King) but we need to bring either Andy Graham or Durnan into the centre of defence.

I also think that we've got to look at our front three. Unless MacIver and Sammon are able to bully the centre halves then we have very little threat up front. We need to get a different type of striker in to give us a plan B.

Superb performance today. Couldn’t fault any player in all honestly. I thought E Devenney, Telfer, Gal and Frizz were exceptional and ATS was cracking too. 

Can’t help but feel we can take points off anyone at home.

Alloa showed glimpses of ability but ultimately just weren’t at it today. 

We can't continue with Brian Rice as boss.He refuses point blank to play players in their proper positions,as Hamilton fans warned us about.I also don't believe we'll get any more signings in,despite us needing them,including a good,pacey striker,not happening,just don't see it,we're a poor squad.Overall his signings haven't been a great success.I just can't watch games any longer, it's just so frustrating to see the baffling tactics and team set up each week.All the best to you guys,it's going to be a frustrating watch for you all for the remainder of the season.

Edited by Alloa 68

Tough one to take today and with the way both teams played it could have been a lot more than 4 to be honest. 

Our defending was shambolic today. I’m not calling for the managers head, but when he has Durnan and Graham on the bench yet persists with playing two full backs at centre half, he’s creating a rod for his own back and opens himself up for criticism when that happens today. 

The only 2 guys I wouldn’t criticise today were Andy and Quinn Coulson, there were issues everywhere else. There are some who have been excellent this season (or since they arrived) - Taggs, Stanger, Church, Strachan, Scougall, Donnelly & MacIver - who you can forgive having an off day, just unfortunate they all did it on the same day!

With others it’s more unacceptable - as much as Hogarth pulled off a couple of nice saves he looked a liability throughout and isn’t convincing at all at crosses, Robbo has become so negative and the game passed him by, King was anonymous and hides when the going gets tough, and after a couple of good performances we are back seeing the worst of Sammon again. 

Overall the single biggest disappointment today though was it was such a gutless performance. We were 2nd best all over the park from 1st minute to last.

For Airdrie the biggest compliment I can make is that in a very convincing 4-0 win no single player really stood out - a very good all round team performance. 

Edited by Kevchenko

I'm not someone who has been shouting for Rice's head but I'm really unimpressed with his interview today. He piles the blame on the players without acknowledging any issues with the way that he sets the team up.

2 minutes ago, Dink said:

I'm not someone who has been shouting for Rice's head but I'm really unimpressed with his interview today. He piles the blame on the players without acknowledging any issues with the way that he sets the team up.

That's the root of the problem right there,he doesn't think his team set is wrong at all,he just doesn't.Playing guys out of position is part of his DNA,he will always do it,ask any Hamilton fan.I have two Hamilton fans at work,and they took the piss constantly when he got the Alloa gig,This league is terrible,with a decent manager in charge we could be doing much better,just by getting the basics right.Sorry,but similar results from Ferguson would have had everyone baying for his blood,but Rice seems quite immune from that sort reaction.It's time for change.

2 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

Back home thankfully,and will not be venturing out to another game this season.We're up one week down the next,don't put pressure on the opposition and allow teams stupid amounts of room to work in.I have to say,and it's only my opinion,but this is the weakest Alloa the in years,and it's hard to see much improvement on last season,some,but not much.

I’m sure the players will miss your positive outlook.