Airdrie V Alloa - The A Teams

Big game on Saturday in the battle for play off spots. Defeat would be awful for the diamonds so hopefully we can pull out a good performance.

It’s also my Fitba Nomad day. I’ve got the plaque from the Fitba Nomad (an Clackmannanshire resident don’t you know) and so I’m retracing the steps from his favourite day out of last season.

Starting at the West End Bar at 11am, onto Cue Here at 12:15 and The Albert around 1:45. After the game a final drink in the Stadium bar.

Would be great if some fans from both teams fancied joining. Great Pubs and hopefully a great game…. Patter is terrible as podcast listeners know.

Airdrie Fan TV there to capture the event. What goes on your, goes on YouTube!

On 24/01/2023 at 11:36, Kevchenko said:

There's a match preview in this week's episode of the podcast (starting about 25 minutes in), with a wee shout out to the pre-match pub crawl mentioned above.

@AndyDD returns to take up his part-time residency on the pod to bring some Airdire balance to the show.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Cheers guys. Appreciate that as an away day it’s not one you look forward to but if any Alloa fans want to make a day of it then would be great to see you there 👍🏻

Hard game coming up,  Allo a like ourselves are capable of blowing teams away when it clicks,    The big question for me is how do we setup at the back,  Allo a have 3 talented physical front players,  Sammon, McIvor and Donnelly, all 3 I think would have the advantage  ove r Fordyce who has been erratic at best this season,  does ATS keep his own place,  does Watson drop into C H if Ballantyne returns, it's a game we really cannot afford to lose,  Rhys has to get the setup spot on....

Of course it will all depend on Ballantyne's fitness but if he doesn't make it then it could Byrd partnering Fordyce in central defence. Big game to throw in unproven player and a risk, but it's pretty obvious that Rhys see's ATS as cover only.

38 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Of course it will all depend on Ballantyne's fitness but if he doesn't make it then it could Byrd partnering Fordyce in central defence. Big game to throw in unproven player and a risk, but it's pretty obvious that Rhys see's ATS as cover only.

Byrd has been here a month now, got to be worth a start  the way we have been defending, 

Hospitality for this one tomorrow never done it before so will be a completely different experience, got it as a present for my old man's Christmas.

Onto the game, with Ballantyne still being injured I'd imagine Watson will be at right back. Big call for me is central defence, do we stick with the experienced ATS or do we gamble with a 20 year old Australian who none of us know if he's any good? (Hoping this won't be another Jay Reily scenario). 

If we're playing 3 up front I'd like to see McGregor start but would rather prefer Smith and Gal upfront as a two.

Not much between the teams at all. Massive 3 points for either side.

32 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Hospitality for this one tomorrow never done it before so will be a completely different experience, got it as a present for my old man's Christmas.

Onto the game, with Ballantyne still being injured I'd imagine Watson will be at right back. Big call for me is central defence, do we stick with the experienced ATS or do we gamble with a 20 year old Australian who none of us know if he's any good? (Hoping this won't be another Jay Reily scenario). 

If we're playing 3 up front I'd like to see McGregor start but would rather prefer Smith and Gal upfront as a two.

Not much between the teams at all. Massive 3 points for either side.

Enjoy! Did hospitality for the first time earlier this season and it was a grand day out. Speaking of which I will be doing the Fitba Nomad day with @CapitalDiamond, AidrieFanTV and others if that won't put folk off. 

Must win. 

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Enjoy! Did hospitality for the first time earlier this season and it was a grand day out. Speaking of which I will be doing the Fitba Nomad day with @CapitalDiamond, AidrieFanTV and others if that won't put folk off. 

Must win. 

Cheers mate! If I didn't have hospitality I'd definitely be going to the 'Fitba Nomad day! Hope everyone enjoys it! A pub crawl at the West End, Cue Here and the Albert sounds like the stuff of dreams.

Edited by David Fernández

Our team selection could be interesting, depends if a couple of players are fit after coming off last week. 

With Rodden injured and  Offord recalled, we've lost our plan B attackers. Could see Rankin getting some game time up top or possibly Cawley.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Probably a must win for both

Bit early for this but I would say a defeat for us and possibly down to 6th would be a major blow given our upcoming run of fixtures.

Having said that, I'm going for a home win.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Bit early for this but I would say a defeat for us and possibly down to 6th would be a major blow given our upcoming run of fixtures.

Having said that, I'm going for a home win.

I just meant a  draw does no favours to either but as you say there's still loads of  games left. but like you I want us to win to stay in touch. 

Looking forward to this one. We've been decent the last two and a half games, so hoping we can continue that form. Obviously no one can predict BR's starting eleven with complete confidence, but injuries permitting I wouldn't be surprised if we started with the same eleven as the Falkirk Cup tie.

In any case, a difficult one to predict, but expecting a good ninety minutes.

They all seem to be big game just now and this is another. 4th v 5th with a chance to catch the teams above with Edinburgh and Falkirk playing each other, three points would be massive today. I’d be happy with roughly the same starting 11 and performance as last week v Falkirk. We blew them away first half and starting to look like the team from the start of the season again. Controversially, I think Robbo needs a break as he’s probably at fault for both Falkirk goals by backing off/ not getting close enough and just looked off the pace. C’mon you Waspees. 🐝 

13 hours ago, printer said:

Looking forward to this one. We've been decent the last two and a half games, so hoping we can continue that form. Obviously no one can predict BR's starting eleven with complete confidence, but injuries permitting I wouldn't be surprised if we started with the same eleven as the Falkirk Cup tie.

In any case, a difficult one to predict, but expecting a good ninety minutes.

I'm thinking if Strachans fit he'll go with same, if not a very unpredictable selection where we will spend the first half hour trying to figure out what's going on.

If Donnelly is fit I'm fairly confident despite our relatively ropey record at Airdrie.