meadowbank thistle V Heart of Midlothian

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah it wouldn't have been a nightmare playing in that wind on a grass pitch right enough, in the winter.

Quite clearly not as bad as it would've been on that monstrosity. It runs long, it bounces all over the place, the ball sticks because it's too dry.  It's absolutely shite and the wind added an extra factor. 

Decent point given how many we had out/rested. Didn't let Livingston close the gap, but we really have to be taking the chances we missed. Sitters.

26 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

If you hit pause and look at the table now, you can argue it's up for grabs.

I am. That’s all I’m looking at. I couldn’t give a fcuk if Hearts had European games or whatever. If your auntie had baws. If St Mirren hadn’t had men sent off in about four games on the spin, if we hadn’t conceded so late to Hearts at home recently, if we had hammered home our advantage in that first half, if Aberdeen hadn’t appointed Jim Goodwin… 😛

Yeah, you’re bang-on. I’m looking at the league table and the Glasgow uglies are fcuking miles ahead of the rest. End of.

Think Hearts fans are a bit guilty of overstating the impact of the pitch on the quality of the match. Effective though it has been of late, you don’t play a particularly scintillating brand of football. I would have thought the “sticky” nature of our pitch, if anything, would have suited your more direct approach. It certainly wouldn’t have put you at any greater disadvantage than any other visiting team from whose fans we’ve not had nearly as many complaints. 

It wasn’t a very good game of football today. However, I think both sides can be satisfied with a point and with the effort on show. Some tough fixtures coming up for us but I remain hopeful of a top six finish. Once Nouble is back, we will be far more threatening in attack. 

38 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I am. That’s all I’m looking at. I couldn’t give a fcuk if Hearts had European games or whatever. If your auntie had baws.

I still think you're misunderstanding. The point is that Hearts don't have these games any more, and since we stopped having them, we've motored past everyone.

Maybe you think that will stop. That's up to you. I think the evidence we have says there's a decent gap from Hearts to fourth.

As I said, we'll see.

20 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

Think Hearts fans are a bit guilty of overstating the impact of the pitch on the quality of the match. Effective though it has been of late, you don’t play a particularly scintillating brand of football. I would have thought the “sticky” nature of our pitch, if anything, would have suited your more direct approach. It certainly wouldn’t have put you at any greater disadvantage than any other visiting team from whose fans we’ve not had nearly as many complaints. 

We usually like to play out from the back and build through Snodgrass - see Forrest's goal v St Johnstone or McKay's v St Mirren for recent examples.

The direct approach was an adaptation for this game, probably at least partly because of the pitch and the wind (rightly or wrongly). It was not particularly effective.

"That pitch" argument is wearing decidedly thin now. Djokovic, Nadal, Federer etc all play their particular ball game on clay, grass and hard surfaces. They know what to expect and train,adapt to the conditions and it has not stopped them ( and others) rising to the highest level of their profession winning titles in the process. I suggest the balls, travelling faster on these surfaces and trajectory influenced by the spin imparted by the racquet and skill of the player  is more likely to deviate from that 

A tenuous analogy I know but the pitch has been down for several years now. Time to suck it up boys and get on with it.

28 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

"The pitch" 

tumblr_486839f0d472ff4bdc3b000f3944433c_bdc05600_2048.thumb.jpg.01d56ea0812f41650682bc916fa8da1b.jpg

Reading stuff like that is like watching Jeremy Kyle. Hard to put up with the stupidity but too funny to look away. 

I don't even support Livi and I'm sick of the constant mewing about your pitch. It must be extremely boring for you guys by now? 

Livingston fans getting awfy touchy about it being pointed out their pitch is absolutely shite.

No one is blaming it for us dropping points. I've seen Hearts win, lose and draw on it, it's up to teams to get on with it, but it is nearly always a terrible spectacle. No point in pretending otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Livingston fans getting awfy touchy about it being pointed out their pitch is absolutely shite.

No one is blaming it for us dropping points. I've seen Hearts win, lose and draw on it, it's up to teams to get on with it, but it is nearly always a terrible spectacle. No point in pretending otherwise. 

Depends if you win or lose 5-0  on it. I remember that night, it was a terrible spectacle for those Hearts fans that stayed to the end. Granted there were not many of them.

6 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I don't even support Livi and I'm sick of the constant mewing about your pitch. It must be extremely boring for you guys by now? 

It would be if there wasn't comedic value in it. 

Only a problem when they don't win. 

6 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

It can be down for 50 years, it'll still be shite.  I'm not blaming it for our performance but it quite clearly makes for a terrible game of football.  Not sure I've ever seen a decent game on it

I've seen a couple tbf 

4 minutes ago, Monkey socks said:

Depends if you win or lose 5-0  on it. I remember that night, it was a terrible spectacle for those Hearts fans that stayed to the end. Granted there were not many of them.

I literally just said I'd seen us win on it. And it's always shite.

Stick to terrible tennis analogies.

38 minutes ago, DC92 said:

We usually like to play out from the back and build through Snodgrass - see Forrest's goal v St Johnstone or McKay's v St Mirren for recent examples.

The direct approach was an adaptation for this game, probably at least partly because of the pitch and the wind (rightly or wrongly). It was not particularly effective.

Not the pitch. It's because aggressive high pressing in centre midfield is a huge strong point of Livi's. Pittman and Omeonga are brilliant at it. Holt too although he wasn't used today. It's very hard to play through. Omeonga was actually used specifically to shackle Snodgrass in the 1-1 match at Tynecastle earlier this season. Then Hearts don't have the numbers in wide areas (only a single wing back on either side) to build up down the flanks. So that left long through passes to spring a fast centre forward as Neilson's best option. Oda struggled but the tactic worked with Kuol second half.

It's pretty embarrassing if you can't see that the Livi pitch, and plastic pitches generally, are embarrassing. They make our league look completely tinpot. I remember my high school having a better astro than it about 15 years ago ffs.

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Livvy 0 Hearts 0. Is there a chance, however small, that me saying ‘there’s not a lot between everyone outwith the two uglies, but admittedly Hearts are doing well just now’ might actually have some substance?

It would be a lot of load to hang on a single data point.

making it absolutely the best example of recency bias I’ve ever seen