meadowbank thistle V Heart of Midlothian

Start Humphrys and bench McKay IMO.

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Snodgrass Halliday

Shankland Ginnelly

Humphrys

Assuming Hill, Cochrane and Smith are carrying knocks or are otherwise out for this one. Shape is changeable.

It’s always tricky playing good sides like St Mirren and Livingston when you have to play shit like Hibs and Aberdeen in between. You start to get a bit overconfident after spanking the dross, and then you find yourself really up against it vs the decent well organised sides. Hoping we adjust back to the greater challenge tomorrow and put the distraction of hammering numpties behind us.

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

Start Humphrys and bench McKay IMO.

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Snodgrass Halliday

Shankland Ginnelly

Humphrys

Assuming Hill, Cochrane and Smith are carrying knocks or are otherwise out for this one. Shape is changeable.

McKay long overdue to be dropped as he’s been a passenger of late and needs a bit of a reality check 

My guess is Martindale might stick with the counter attacking 4-2-3-1 he's used in the last two away games. We normally play a more proactive 4-3-3 at home but we're not normally playing teams in such good form as Hearts currently are. Against St Johnstone, Bradley and Stephen Kelly tracked the St Johnstone wing backs and just let their centre backs have possession. I can see that happening again today, at least first half. There's also that the two holding mids in the 4-2-3-1 can directly match up with the two "no. 10s" in Hearts' formation.

Maybe Martindale will try to blitz Hearts with a high front 3 and the full backs bombing on from the start, though. Hibs got joy from McGeady and Cadden outnumbering Cochrane down the Hearts left last week. I think the attacking 4-3-3 will only happen if Nouble can play, though, because there's not an effective enough left winger other than him. 

I think i remember Omeonga marking Snoddy at Tynecastle, which would be a good idea today, Omeonga is great at nicking the ball off players and putting pressure on them, would limit Snoddy a good bit from being as effective for Hearts.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 26/01/2023 at 12:54, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hopefully this isn't Davie playing games. Livingston striker set for return from injury for Sunday's clash with Hearts - Daily Record

However i'll believe it when i see it.

On 26/01/2023 at 13:16, LiviLion said:

First thing I thought when I saw it is that he's been 'ready for the next game' for about a month now, hopefully he's telling the truth this time :lol:

And there we are, still no Nouble 

Jason Holt and Andrew Shinnie replaced by Sean Kelly and Stephane Omeonga

If Snodgrass and Ginnelly have the sniffles why are they even on the bench? Likewise, if Grant is there I'd sooner see him start than Kio.

It will be good to see what Oda can do, but not sure this is the game to chuck him in. Hopefully he can turn it on, though.

Significantly less confident after seeing the team. Can kind of understand the logic of leaving Snodgrass out given we've got a midweek game and Livi's gameplan will probably be based on stopping him, but Kio is a big downgrade and he hasn't even got off the bench for a month. Atkinson and Oda also coming in without having played much football.

Fearing we'll also see Shankland having to drop deep to get the ball if the midfield is struggling.

On the plus side, looks like there's plenty of pace up front and Oda must have shown something in training to get chucked in so early.

I'm still confident. I suspect the Elderly have been dropped from the start due to the potential for increased impact damage from the plastic pitch. 

I think a refresh is good - we've come off a run of intense matches, I think mentally the Aberdeen game in particular was a tough one. Also by all accounts we've not been at 100%, so again a refresh is good. I think potentially there's quite a lot of pace there.

Robbie also on the radio saying that he has faith in the team, and it's an opportunity for the players who've been out of the team to stake a claim.